Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 02:38 AM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

DEX is important for AC, more so if the character is destined to be a tank.

Optimal minimum

STR: 15
DEX: 18
CON: 18
WIS: 17
INT: 4
CHA: 17

Grand total of 89 points. Yes... the character will be a drooling idiot, but this is the price to pay for the CHA's high requirement. Besides... there are no Mind Flayers in IWD.

INT will not affect your saves against spells. WIS does.

[ 10-16-2002, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:01 PM   #12
NobleNick
Quintesson

Dundee,

Thanks. I did not realize DEX was important for a melee character. Are there break points where a little more STR, DEX, CON, or WIS does a lot of good? (Like I know having 18 CON is a WHOLE lot better than having 17 CON?

Assuming the answer is NO, I would probably hack Druulf to new stats:

STR = 18/30 --> 18/30
DEX = 9 ------> 18
CON = 18 -----> 8
INT = 8 ------> 8
WIS = 17 -----> 18
CHA = 18 -----> 18

...and take away the extra 2 points/level that he has gotten for having CON = 18.

Rationale (please correct me if I am wrong, playing Diablo 2 has muddled my memory):

STR affects THAC0 and damage, so max for melee character.
DEX affects AC, so max for melee character.
WIS is prime requisite for druid, so max.
CHA is prime requisite for druid, so max.
CON affects ONLY hitpoints gained/level, so should max for melee character.
. . . BUT character is dual classed, so gets an extra 130 hp or so if dc is
. . . from level 13 fighter. Therefore don't need high CON: split remaining
. . . points with INT
INT not needed, so split remaining points with CON.

[ 10-17-2002, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 07:50 PM   #13
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Essentially that is correct. Don't bother with having too high a value in charisma, unless your druid will be your main party spokesperson. Leave it at the minimum value of 15.

A high constitution is always good. The difference is noticeable with fighters, so if you had 16 con at level 9 HP=108, whereas with con at 18 HP=136. Of course, with classes like the druid, its often difficult to cover all the stats that you'd like to have fairly high values in (fighters could max out str, dex, con and be very capable).

You'll also need wisdom of 18 if you want to cast level 8 druid spells.

High dexterity also gives you a bonus to hit with missile weapons. Hope that you took the stars in Missile Weapon skill. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2002, 10:06 PM   #14
NobleNick
Quintesson

Thank you, Cyril,

Yes, I have both a bard and a paladin with CHA = 18, so do not need it for the Fighter/Druid; but I *DO* want the extra missile attack AND level 8 druid spells. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.... Oh, what I wouldn't give for just two more ability points! .... O.K., then; a possible build is this:

STR = 18/30 --> 18/30
DEX = 9 ------> 18
CON = 18 -----> 16
INT = 8 ------> 3
WIS = 17 -----> 18
CHA = 18 -----> 15

But it looks like, from your numbers, that the difference between CON=16 and CON =18 for a fighter is 3 points/level instead of the 2 that I thought it was. Aacccckk!! I don't want to strip 27 points off of him! Are you sure of your numbers? I have the "max hp per level" selected, and *KNOW* that Druulf has been getting 14 points per level with a CON=18. He is at level 9 with, I am pretty sure, 126 points (wish I was at home so I could check). So 126 - 108 = 18 ---> 2 HP/level. Whew! I am breathing more easily!

O.K., looks like Druulf is back to Dundee Slaytern's suggestion of running around like a blithering idiot, slobber dribbling out the corner of his mouth. Is there really NO ability progression nor combat penalties for a Fighter or Druid running around with INT=3?

Is there ANY difference in ability progression, hp/level or combat penalties between having CON = 16 and CON = less-than-16?

No, Cyril, I have three PP in bow. Guess since I'll change it with Dale Keeper, eventually, that I might as well come clean and do it now.

Party On!

[ 10-17-2002, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 10-18-2002, 12:52 AM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Level 8 Druid spells? Level 7 you mean. [img]smile.gif[/img] The only penalty you will noticed from having an INT of 3 is that your melee character's lore will suck to the high heavens.

A CON score of 18 will add an additional 4 Hp per level, not 3. Big difference.

15 STR will suffice( to wear Full Plate Mail), and it can always be artificially boosted via spells like Strength which lasts for hours, or a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength.

18 DEX is extremely different from < 15 DEX. At 15 DEX, you get -1 AC. 16 DEX, -2 AC. 17 DEX, -3 AC. 18, -4 AC.

18 WIS so that you can cast more spells, and cast the level 7 ones.

17 CHA, because this is the minimum for dualing a Fighter to a Druid( do not forget you need a True Neutral Fighter too).
Old 10-18-2002, 03:52 PM   #16
NobleNick
Quintesson

Aaccckk!! The requirements keep coming! Yes, Dundee, I believe you do need 2 over the prime requisite for the class you are dualing to. (I have the alignment thing right, though.) Now I am 4 ability points short of my dream, instead of 2.

I can hear that hollow Dale Keeper voice calling: "Ni-i-ick, N-n-n-i-i-i-i-i-i-c-ck, it's only 4 ability points. Ni-i-i-i-ck, give in to the da-a-a-r-rk si-i-i-ide!" Maybe I will try to re-roll him after the fact, and hack in whatever I can get; but a roll of 92+ for a fighter?? That's going to be tough.... Assuming I don't do this, and using info from Dundee (thanks!) my rationale goes like this....

The question to be answered is: "Is this guy going to be a tank?" And my answer is, "Yes." Therefore CON is more important than STR (but need STR at least 15 to wear best armor), and DEX (much more important than I had imagined) is more important than CON; because a 4 point bonus to armor class is worth at least 5 HP/level. Need CHA at least 17 in order to dual over. Very much want to maximize full potential of Druid, so WIS = 18. Lore, SCHMORE! I have a mage with identify spells and a rockin' good bard. Don't need no mo' INT....

So, the latest spread for Druulf would be:

STR = 18/30 --> 14
DEX = 9 ------> 18
CON = 18 -----> 18
INT = 8 ------> 3
WIS = 17 -----> 18
CHA = 18 -----> 17

I *think* I can go that low on STR. Whew! Looks ugly, but looks like Druulf has a workable ability set. This *IS* roleplay, after all, and Superman is not supposed to be one of the available roles. Any extra points Druulf might get on a re-roll, I'll hack into STR. Until then, he'll just have to find something to wear to give an extra point of STR to wear best armor. Looks like he'll have to start drinking those STR potions, too, instead of selling them; and the mage will need to memorize STR spells.

Heh, heh, Dundee; I can't help but chuckle when I see how close my build is to the one you originally suggested. BUT now *I* know why! Hey, why did you have INT=4 and WIS=17 instead of INT=3 and WIS=18?

Thanks for all the help!

Party On!

[ 10-18-2002, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 10-18-2002, 04:11 PM   #17
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Yah! That should work plus you might be able to pick up an item somewhere along the way. This will bring his strength up to 18 or 19 so it isn't that much of a loss in terms of strength if you can find such an item. You are much more likely to come across such items with the two expansions.

[ 09-07-2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:30 PM   #18
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

AArrrggggghhhh! That'll teach me to reply to things late at night! Quite right guys: 126 HP, and level 7 spells. Sorry about that.

Oh, I checked the weapon proficiency question that you asked at the beginning Nick. The answer as Jim said is that dualling over to a druid is very similar to a fighter/druid: you can wear whatever armour you like, including large shields, but the weapons have to be the same as a druids. So yep, change those stars. This is the same for dualling to a cleric. Must be something to do with religious conviction, as my mage can use her composite bow and longsword again.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:33 AM   #19
Jim
Quintesson

Whoops, didn't realise this thread had become active again! Would have replied sooner. Doh

Quote:
STR = 18/30 --> 14
DEX = 9 ------> 18
CON = 18 -----> 18
INT = 8 ------> 3
WIS = 17 -----> 18
CHA = 18 -----> 17
I'll second the low INT modifier, but be careful with the 14 STR. Remember that dual classed characters need a 15 minimum in their primary atribute of the first class as well as 17's in the primary atribute of the second class, so you'll need at least a 15 STR to dual class to a druid.

One more point, divine spellcasters don't rely upon WIS to determine the max casting level in IWD/BG2, so you don't need an 18 WIS to cast 7th level spells. I know this because my cleric/mage has 17 WIS and can cast them. Only arcane spell casters need an 18 (and that's INT) to cast the higher level spells
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 07:29 AM   #20
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

18 WIS does mean one more Static Charge though.

My 4 INT was based on a multiclassed Fighter/Druid, so ignore that and go with a 3 INT Fighter->Druid.

[ 10-20-2002, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]