Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2003, 11:11 AM   #1
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Hey folks!

Has anybody got Wiz8 running with wine ? I'm trying, but I get nothing but "unload debugger" and can't find any help on that... If yes, what version of wine do you use, and do you have some special setup?

I'd just LOVE to play Wiz8 under Linux. Unfortunately, I don't even get Wiz7 with dosemu, but I'm not trying that very hard...

Cheers
Philipp
Old 11-22-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I have no idea but please let us know if you can get it to work under Linux.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Well, I've found a post by someone who almost managed it, but it says he used a "cracked version" for otherwise things don't work out. Well, I have the game in original, so am I safe to assume that using a crack isn't illegal? Well, if it is, I don't know where to find such a cracked version, but I'll look out and try that...

Cheers
Philipp
Old 11-23-2003, 07:22 AM   #4
motub
The Magister

A "cracked version" in this context usually means simply the legal version with a "no-cd" crack.

That is, a crack which bypasses the CD check for games that require a CD in the drive to run (which is often used for copy protection, but sometimes is just because it's that way). Because Linux accesses CD-ROM drives differently from Windows, this is often necessary to get games that would otherwise run under Linux (meaning that there's no conflicts between the main program and Wine) to even start under Linux.

The game manufacturers may not like it, exactly, but there's nothing particularly illegal about saying that you'd rather not be forced to have your perfectly legal CD in the drive while playing. Lots of people with only one CD-ROM drive own various games that they prefer to (for example) listen to different music via CD audio while playing, or play on a laptop and prefer not to carry their fragile external CD-ROM drive (not to mention the fragile CD) around.

So it's a gray area-- there are valid reasons for such a crack, and invalid/illegal ones too.
motub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Hello there!

I got it! I can play Wiz8 in Linux !!! Yeaahhh, sooo coool [img]smile.gif[/img] I wrote it up, if anybody's interested:

http://www.pipsfrank.de/Computers/wine.html

Let me know if that helps, if you understand it, if
there's anything wrong with it... Happy Playing!!!

Cheers
Philip