Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
MagiK

Missiles smuggled into U.S.
By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The U.S. government has alerted airlines and law enforcement agencies that new intelligence indicates that Islamic terrorists have smuggled shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles into the United States. Top Stories
• Bush asks for Kashmir restraint
• Ashcroft defends taking of new powers
• Worry, insurance up in D.C.
• Door to EU is 'closing'

Classified intelligence reports circulated among top Bush administration policymakers during the past two weeks identified the missiles as Russian-made SA-7 surface-to-air missiles or U.S.-made Stinger anti-aircraft missiles obtained covertly in Afghanistan, said intelligence officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Authorities are looking for three types of "manpads," or man-portable, air-defense systems, including SA-7s and Stingers, the officials said.
The SA-7s have a range of more than 3 miles and can hit aircraft flying at 13,500 feet. Stinger missiles can hit aircraft flying at 10,000 feet and 5 miles away.
The FBI sent out an intelligence alert two weeks ago warning about the missiles. The officials said the warning is based on intelligence and not a specific threat that the missiles are in the United States.
"We don't have information that al Qaeda is planning to use these against commercial aircraft in the United States," an FBI official said. "However, we are passing the information along for people to remain alert to the potential use."
The official said an FBI intelligence alert was sent to law-enforcement authorities about two weeks ago and that airlines were notified on May 22.
As a result of the "recent apparent targeting of U.S.-led military forces in Saudi Arabia, law-enforcement agencies in the United States should remain alert to potential use of manpads against U.S. aircraft," the FBI said.
Other intelligence officials spoke of concerns that the missiles had been smuggled into the United States.
Senior Pentagon officials also were briefed recently on the threat posed by shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles smuggled into the United States.
Officials said the intelligence reports followed the discovery earlier this month of an empty SA-7 launcher near a desert base used by U.S. air forces in Saudi Arabia. The launcher was found by Saudi security police near Prince Sultan Air Base, near Riyadh, the Saudi capital.
The Saudis could not determine whether the launcher had fired a missile, and they destroyed it before U.S. military or intelligence officials could examine it.
One official said that intelligence report was given credence by Abu Zubaydah, the al Qaeda organization's operations chief, who was captured in Pakistan in March and who has been providing information about the terrorist group.
A U.S. official also said the portable missiles, which can be carried in small crates, "are fairly light and not difficult to obtain on the gray market."
"It's conceivable that terrorists could get them," the official said. "It is one of a number of possible threats that we need to be mindful and concerned about."
Officials said another worry was an interview in an Arabic-language newspaper with a senior al Qaeda terrorist. Abd-al-Azim al-Muhajir, a senior commander, told a reporter for London's Al-Sharq al Awsat in Pakistan last week that the terrorist group is planning a major attack against the United States.
Al-Muhajir said U.S. military operations in Afghanistan have "changed the nature of the action in the field, media appearances and training centers." However, he insisted, al Qaeda is not "finished."
Asked about new attacks against the United States, al-Muhajir said: "We pray to God, the glorified and exalted, to help us in the coming stage, that is the 'guerrilla warfare,' and in dealing with the aircraft. Thanks be to God that we have taken big strides in this."
Gen. Peter Pace, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters at the Pentagon that U.S. military forces are on alert for attacks by portable missiles.
"We take very seriously the fact that our opponents do have surface-to-air missiles, shoulder-fired surface-to-air-missiles," Gen. Pace said. "And we take precautions on the ground and in the air any time we have our aircraft arriving or departing."
He said there were no reports of U.S. aircraft taking surface-to-air missile fire in Saudi Arabia after the discovery of the SA-7 launcher.
"That does not mean it was not fired; it simply means we do not know if that particular weapon was fired at that location or simply dropped off there," he said.

Not Really A Surprise Though.

[ 05-31-2002, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 04:53 PM   #2
Lord Shield

Well, "who wants to fly?" is a rather broad term since this issue has only, so far, surfaced in the U.S

It doesn't affect us Brits, for instance, unless we fly into the U.S. And then only if those missiles DO get used by the terrorists

Old 05-31-2002, 05:07 PM   #3
MagiK

Sorry didn't think to put a "US ONLY" sign up...can you edit the title of a thread?

EDIT: I do realize that you all have to deal with terrrorist more frequently than us over here, but for the average US type it is a fairly new situation

[ 05-31-2002, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 05:15 PM   #4
Lord Shield

no worries

our own terrorist issue was effectively resolved awhile back, though rumours abound. They blew up my Dad's train to work for instance. Fortunately that was the one time in his life he was LATE for his train

the ironic thing was that the IRA was part-funded by the U.S

I daresay that your own terrorists will be dealt with eventually. Unfortunately, ,there will be a lot of uncertainities and fears before that happens

Old 05-31-2002, 05:21 PM   #5
Moni

I think we ought to take Israel's lead when it comes to airline security.
I understand that Americans feel like they are having to "give up rights" for the process and it doesn't fly (pardon the expression) with the majority but its smart to make security in airlines as tight as possible, esp under the present circumstances and what could come of them.
Just my two cents.
I wasn't afreaid to fly until I read that article.
Until airline security actually becomes secure, I'll drive or take a bus.

Old 05-31-2002, 05:32 PM   #6
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

I heard something a couple of weeks ago confirming that at least 20 men had managed to jump off a boat and lose themselves in the American population, all of the men linked to al-Qaeda.

Also, al-Qaeda, Hamas and Hizbolla leaders met in secret at the end of March to discuss an unprecedented level of co-operation.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 05-31-2002, 05:36 PM   #7
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
I heard something a couple of weeks ago confirming that at least 20 men had managed to jump off a boat and lose themselves in the American population, all of the men linked to al-Qaeda.

Also, al-Qaeda, Hamas and Hizbolla leaders met in secret at the end of March to discuss an unprecedented level of co-operation.
Well at least they are having to jump off of boats as opposed to being let to walk on in and take up residence like before.

I would expect them to co-operate with each other on a world-wide level after the show that they made on 9-11. They mean business and their intentions shouldn't be taken lightly.

Old 05-31-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
no worries

our own terrorist issue was effectively resolved awhile back, though rumours abound. They blew up my Dad's train to work for instance. Fortunately that was the one time in his life he was LATE for his train

the ironic thing was that the IRA was part-funded by the U.S

I daresay that your own terrorists will be dealt with eventually. Unfortunately, ,there will be a lot of uncertainities and fears before that happens
Im not sure of my facts here but I believe that the IRA was being funded by some US citizens of Irish national origin (much as Americanized Arabs are funding Al Queda now) but I really do not believe that the U.S. Government had any lend lease or sanctioned government support for them...I didn't really follow those issues closely while I was involved with Intelligence...mostly I was oriented on Soviet and Middle Eastern issues. You are right that the general american citizenary are going to have to come to grips with some harsh realities before all is said and done.

[ 05-31-2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]