Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 06:20 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

This is not a sports thread as such, please read to the end.

There is a joke which you often hear in Britain about Bill Shankly, the legendary manager of Liverpool Football Club in the 60's and 70's. Shankly, a dour Scotsman (how easily those two words go together) was once asked if football was a matter of life and death. Shanks thought for a while before saying 'No, football is not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that.'

You may have read on other threads how the mighty Manchester United were humiliated by lowly Middlesbough on saturday and how they are no longer in the FA Cup.

One of the Middlesbough players who celebrated their incredible victory was Colin Cooper. He was born close to Middlesbrough and has supported them since he was a child. Now nearly 33 he is reaching the end of his playing career. A career which just fell short of reaching the top.

On saturday afternoon Colin Cooper celebrated more than most of his colleagues after their incredible victory, a victory which probably ranks as the greatest of his career.

On saturday night Colin Cooper's two year old son died after choking on a toy.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Donut ]

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-28-2002, 06:42 AM   #2
Konfuzed and Zany
Manshoon

Something to think about..
There's not much to add here

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Konfuzed and Zany ]

Old 01-28-2002, 07:00 AM   #3
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I dont think thats very funny..... im not sure what the exact definition of Ironic is but im pretty sure that that pretty well sums it up..... Poor fella
Old 01-28-2002, 07:10 AM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
I dont think thats very funny..... im not sure what the exact definition of Ironic is but im pretty sure that that pretty well sums it up..... Poor fella

Good spot Glorfindel, it's not funny and neither is it ironic. What it is, is exremely sad. I just wanted to put things into perspective.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-28-2002, 07:12 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Oww Donut
That's awful
Old 01-28-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

wats ironic then???
Old 01-28-2002, 07:21 AM   #7
Konfuzed and Zany
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Good spot Glorfindel, it's not funny and neither is it ironic. What it is, is exremely sad. I just wanted to put things into perspective.

It is Ironic
I just don't see how it's funny
Old 01-29-2002, 08:05 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Oww Donut
That's awful

Yes it is Mel. I often hear people talk about how successful they are or how much money they earn, when you hear about something like this it makes you think about what is really important in life.

BTW - some good news, Moritz has been selected to play for the German Under 19 team against England.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:32 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Yes it is Mel. I often hear people talk about how successful they are or how much money they earn, when you hear about something like this it makes you think about what is really important in life.

BTW - some good news, Moritz has been selected to play for the German Under 19 team against England.

I know what a horrible story

About Moritz - yikes! I need to call my dad more often...thanks for keeping me posted about my own cousin
BTW, I saw him last Christmas and he invited us over to London, so me and my father'll probably come see him some time this year [img]smile.gif[/img]
Would you believe I've never even seen him play "live"?? [img]redface.gif[/img]