Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2002, 08:09 AM   #11
Sorcerer Alex

I'm starting to feel really left out on this forum [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I have no idea what LARP or PnP is. Am I missing something here?

Old 01-27-2002, 08:11 AM   #12
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I'm starting to feel really left out on this forum [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I have no idea what LARP or PnP is. Am I missing something here?

Live Action Role Playing, Pen aNd Paper.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:08 AM   #13
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

The town I come from (back in leafy Surrey) has a battle renactment every year from the English Civil War. I have always been tempted by that, people seem to get very engrossed in the whole thing. But it is still much more fun to watch - a group of guys dressed as Roundheads and Cavaliers fighting in the highstreet with fake muskets. But that is probably not the same kind of thing really.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-27-2002, 07:30 PM   #14
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

I am still doing LARP once or twice a year. And if you´re with the right party, it´s great fun. Last time we went as an order of warriors, singing war songs when we charged into battle. It was just impressive.

HAW!

haw...where's my signature pic???
Old 01-27-2002, 08:00 PM   #15
Durwyn
Elminster

I tried it, and I think personally is way too additctive.

My Uncle as an example, LOVED D&D, man that guy that was crazy about this stuff. He used to make swords wrapped around with some cotton in them and duck tape or whatever you call that thing hehe, get some friends together and well he wasted half of his childhood doing that which ruined his college and a big part of his life hehe. So its really not worth it if you're trying to persue your career. Living in fantasy is not too good, we're in the real world here guys
Old 01-27-2002, 10:55 PM   #16
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Durwyn:
I tried it, and I think personally is way too additctive.

My Uncle as an example, LOVED D&D, man that guy that was crazy about this stuff. He used to make swords wrapped around with some cotton in them and duck tape or whatever you call that thing hehe, get some friends together and well he wasted half of his childhood doing that which ruined his college and a big part of his life hehe. So its really not worth it if you're trying to persue your career. Living in fantasy is not too good, we're in the real world here guys

I think you mean LARP, and not D&D?

D&D was, and still is, a table game (PnP) for the most part. LARP is actually getting dressed up and acting out the parts.

I guess any game can become too addictive if you get too involved in it, regardless of what type it is. I've seen die-hard table-top gamers that can talk of nothing else but the stuff, and SCA people who are in "character" even during their daily routines. Likewise, I've seen far more who treat it as a hobby and an important part of their lives, but not *totally* their life.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-27-2002, 11:18 PM   #17
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ive never even heard of it before!! Then ofcourse I am VERY new to the ADND system, and have never even played PNP. Ill have to ask my brother about it next time I talk to him though (he lives in sydney so we dont talk too often), if anyone I know knows, then it will be him!!
Old 01-28-2002, 12:24 AM   #18
Durwyn
Elminster

Neg Saz [img]smile.gif[/img] , I meant exactly D&D, IE = Dwarfs, Trolls, the whole world of D&D is basically what I meant. So he basically played it with his friend. Dessed up and all, had like good 20-40 friends with him go to some woods, they had their plastic swords, all dressed, perfectly prepared for some quality time roleplaying and then they would clash like armies each consisting of 10-20 people and fight it out, not too harsh of course, but they actually had wooden plates of armor if you will, under their D&D-like shirts and clothes.

And in any case it becomes very addictive. Some people I heard even live like that, in a fantasy world, excluding the worries of outside world and well, being bankropts hehe.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:31 AM   #19
Konfuzed and Zany
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Durwyn:
Neg Saz [img]smile.gif[/img] , I meant exactly D&D, IE = Dwarfs, Trolls, the whole world of D&D is basically what I meant. So he basically played it with his friend. Dessed up and all, had like good 20-40 friends with him go to some woods, they had their plastic swords, all dressed, perfectly prepared for some quality time roleplaying and then they would clash like armies each consisting of 10-20 people and fight it out, not too harsh of course, but they actually had wooden plates of armor if you will, under their D&D-like shirts and clothes.

And in any case it becomes very addictive. Some people I heard even live like that, in a fantasy world, excluding the worries of outside world and well, being bankropts hehe.

But what about lavitation
Old 01-28-2002, 12:45 AM   #20
LennonCook
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Konfuzed and Zany:

But what about lavitation

Pause the game maybe ??