Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Northraven
Manshoon

Okay I just started playing BG II again after a two-year layoff and just wanted some advice from more experoenced people.

My party consists of:

1.me a Half-Elf Multiiclassed Fighter/Mage/Thief

2.Jahiera

3.Minsc

4.Korgan

5.Viconia

6.Nalia

Now, bear in mind that for me Viconia and Korgan are pretty non-negotiable, I want to try the Viconia romance (Is it worth it, I mena is she really "nastier" than Jahiera or Aerie?)and I also want to keep Jahiera in the party because I like her Fighter background with Druid abilities thing. I was kind of planning on swapping Nalia with Imoen when the time comes as this leaves me with a powerful pure-mage, something I seem to remember needing last time around. Minsc is the one character I'm not sure about...I'm not bashing him he's great but I'm thinking of maybe Haer'Daelis (I never really took him before) or perhaps that other Ranger/Stalker guy (can't remember his name). Any thoughts/advice on this. Also, will my Fighter/Thief/Mage be a good character overall? What's the max level I can get him to in Mage with only SoA installed? (I am not installing ToB untill I beat SoA so I can have the "original" experience). Is he too generalized to be good at anything? I was hoping to use him as a sort of magic-enhanced back up tank...will this work?
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Will Imoen be a pure mage? It seems to me she will be dualed from thief, won't she? But then again,,,she's dualed early(level 5 I think) so she should be able to get real high. I can't give any advice on the PC though.
The F/M/T triple multiclass was created so you could solo, I almost think.
I recommend C/M dual. VERY powerfull late in the game!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Klutz
Manshoon

I seem to recall something about Viconia not romancing Elves... can anyone confirm whether she will romance a Half-Elf?

Your F/M/T will max out in TOB with 8th level mage spells, so you'll have to rely on NPCs for 9th & 10th level mage spells. In SOA I believe he will get 6th level mage spells.

Between Jaheira, Korgan, and the PC your front line is set, so I don't think Minsc is needed. I've used Haer'Dalis in evil parties before and he's fine, contributing either extra spell artillery, front-line buff-assisted hack & slash, or singing as appropriate. You could also use Edwin in that slot for huge amounts of mage power.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:00 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Viccy will romance half-elves.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:11 AM   #5
Sillara of the Tamari
The Magister

Imoen's thief levels are neglible for determining the level to which she can advance as a mage, so do not worry about that aspect.

The ranger/stalker is Valygar, but I think he does not always get on with Viconia.

If you are not planning to solo, I would recommend Haer'Dalis for backup mage spells and just go with a F/T for the PC. It helps with the XP.

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love [url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=17\" target=\"_blank\">Tsujatha</a>?<br />If you like Tsujatha, you should read his [url]\"http://www.gilalion.com/novels.htm\" target=\"_blank\">novels</a>.<br />Natha ssin\'urn lu\' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l\' rivven: [url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=18\" target=\"_blank\">Yasraena</a> zhah ghil!<br />[url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=16\" target=\"_blank\">Saerileth\'s</a> bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.
Sillara of the Tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Northraven
Manshoon

Thanks for the replies so far. Right now I am in Chapter 2 and have just done a few quests. (Rescued the D'Arnise Keep and did Korgan's little Book of Kaza thing.) The character seems pretty good, even in a non-soloing situation. He has pretty low HP (about 61 at lvl 7/7/8) and even so he is making a fair tank...he cuts through enemies faster than Minsc or Korgan while dual-wielding.

His magic is useful for buffing and some blasting but I find his spell slots too limited to really give him any anti-mage/pierce magic type spells. Someone above suggested dumping Minsc for Edwin and that the PC Jahiera and Korgan could handle the front line. Can I get people's thoughts on that combination as it sounds interesting.

Also on a side note, can anyone tell me what the best axe, Longsword and Scimitar in the game are and where they might be obtained? (Keep in mind that I am only playing with SoA installed right now...I will do ToB after I beat SoA for the "original" experience...). And also, could somebody spoil me and tell me where/how to get all the pieces for Crom Fayr? Also, can Korgan use it or is it restricted to only good characters?

Whew, sorry for the long post but I had forgotten how deep this game could be [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
K2Grey
Dungeon Master

The best scimitar in the game is Belm +2 which is gotten through the Trademeet quest. There is also a +3 scimitar which is in a certain underground city which you will know when you reach it.

As for long swords, there are many, Blade of Roses +3 from Copper Coronet can be gotten real early and is nice. Daystar (City Gates Inn, behind a hidden door) is also good.

Axes are Stonefire (Copper Coronet) and Frostreaver (De'Arnise Keep). Have Korgan dual wield em.

PC, Korgan, and Jaheira can indeed function as a frontline. Two of them can function as a frontline even.
K2Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Northraven:
His magic is useful for buffing and some blasting but I find his spell slots too limited to really give him any anti-mage/pierce magic type spells. Someone above suggested dumping Minsc for Edwin and that the PC Jahiera and Korgan could handle the front line. Can I get people's thoughts on that combination as it sounds interesting.

Also on a side note, can anyone tell me what the best axe, Longsword and Scimitar in the game are and where they might be obtained? (Keep in mind that I am only playing with SoA installed right now...I will do ToB after I beat SoA for the "original" experience...). And also, could somebody spoil me and tell me where/how to get all the pieces for Crom Fayr? Also, can Korgan use it or is it restricted to only good characters?

Whew, sorry for the long post but I had forgotten how deep this game could be [img]smile.gif[/img]
Those 3 could handle it quite easily. Jaheira could even go back and cast spells as well, and you'd still be fine.
I usually never end up getting the 'best' weapons for my chars, I just get the ones I think are the coolest. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I usually try and piece together the Equalizer, and use that, and for axes, that one that returns to you? Sorry, can't remember the name right now.

As for the Daystar, I wouldn't worry about until you have a higher level party. Or think that you can take a pretty formidable enemy.

[ 04-09-2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Sir Goulum ]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote