Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2001, 03:26 PM   #31
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Waluin:
heh, cool! Sounds like an excellent story.

Striptease, I'm all for that! *dodges getting slapped*

LOL!!
Um...read the first page of the Truth or Trash thread

*throws thick volume of Tennyson at Waluin's head*

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH,
the HADB and the SPAE(Society for the
Prevention of Acronym Extinction) &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 07-02-2001, 03:39 PM   #32
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

And now, for your pleasure, a literary analasys of kiwidoc's poem, and why she just kicked the SH*T out of me...

OK, first an explanation... Even though my spelling stinks (I have an excuse: I'm dyslexic (you would think they would have made that word easier to spell), Mexican, and stupid ) I know the "rules" of grammar.(and tend to ignore them)

Poetry can be looked at in two ways. The emotional impact, and the Literary Command. Rhymes (internal and external), repetition, alliteration, stanza mirroring, and patterns all can mix and meld to add to the emotional impact. A cood poet can grab you with literary devices, and leave you breathless, without you knowing why...

Let's look at kiwidocs poem together...

First, the emotional impact is judged individually. For this Dawg, the imagery evokes a memory that I can relate to, even if it is not mine. I can understand the poet's feelings that are hinted at, and I know how it relates to my thoughts. You will have a different thought, but I believe the poem will reach anyone who reads it.

The Literary Command is done WELL. As you can see by my works, I am a coward. I stick to free verse, and use only a few literary devices. Kiwidoc's poetry, and this example especially, uses quite a few.

First, notice the miroring of the two stanzas. The same number of lines, and the same lengths of each line. The rythms are the same, and the rhymes fall at the same place.

Kiwidoc has a great sense of alliteration. Notice the mirroring sounds in the individual lines. Also, notice the rhyming isn't simple, but often times internal in the lines as well, but in the same spot in each stanza.

I could spend an hour breaking this down, just for the joy of it. This is a GREAT poem, as are all of kiwidoc's. She is a master, and I'm glad she graced this thread with the gift.

Now, to decide if I am worthy of posting after her...

------------------

The RudeDawg, known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
"Let them come, Let them ALL come."

-"Ender says, 'The enemy is down.' "

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 07-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 07-03-2001).]
Old 07-02-2001, 11:36 PM   #33
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Rude Dawg is proving again what a despicable lying cur he is. Despite what he says I happpen to know he is a very good writer, and that he should have NO qualms about posting after me!

I also owe him a lot for encouraging me a great deal when I started writing again and helping me with my rewrites. I would call him my muse, but the muses were are female and the dirty doggie insists he is all male

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk