Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2002, 09:29 AM   #1
Detah
Dungeon Master

Boogre Prison

Successfully navigated that stupid gauntlet. Found the Idol of Bongu.
I took all the items laying around it and cleaned out the 2 chests. Clearly the idol 'does' something. I tried to give it some money, but it said 'something is needed'. This leads me to believe Im missing an item or not doing something right.

So I searched on here for tips regarding this and came across a tip that said that you can donate a Boogre brew and gain the Giantstrike trait. I tried every command I could think of, give, use, drop, and nothing 'did' anything.

What is the command to 'donate' to the idol???

Of course, now I have left that area and have to renavigate that horrible gauntlet. I just hate those 2 wheels which spin horizontally and dont let you pass.

Detah
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:41 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Maybe you're not close enough.

You either use or give the boogre brew to the idol but you have to be close, very close - you almost burn! Gads, it has been so long - maybe you even drop it - but you have to be CLOSE!

You don't always get GiantStrike. SOmetimes you get a stat increase instead. Save your game before doing it.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:11 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Very close, and very central - once you find a position that works you need to stay there - you can have each character use a boogre brew on the idol - can only get one improvement per character. Colect all your brews before you start. Took me 20 mins to position the 2nd character correctly because I went for a little walk after the first time.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:39 AM   #4
Detah
Dungeon Master

Thank you. Apparantly I was not standing close enough or not in the center.

I got my first character to gain the Giantstrike triat. WOOHOO. Then I positioned the second character and got +1 FORT. I reloaded about 30 times and could only get +1 FORT. Maybe the Giantstrike is only given to 1 player. Anyone have success in gaining the Giantstrike trait for more than 1 character? I sure wish I could have it for my soon-to-be-monk too.

Detah

PS. I never could find a place in Boogre Prison to 'buy' boogre brews. The only boogre brews, I ever found, were the 2 in front of the idol of bongu, 1 in the treasure chest after the gauntlet and 1 off the corpse of one of the boogre guards near the cyclops area.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

YAY!!

Glad you finally got it to work!! I never bothered to try to get all my characters Giantstrike so I do not know if it is possible or only for the fighterly types or what. Hopefully someone else will have some insight into that.

You buy the brew at the Boogre Bar. You just have to split your gold down into 5gp bags and give that to the barkeep.

Wyv
Old 02-18-2002, 07:14 PM   #6
the_young_one
Manshoon

I think giantstrike is only given to warriors or barbarians. Can't remember about samurai, but no to all the other classes, they get the +1 to fortitude.

ps: you can only donate once per game, so if you replay the game, and donated boogre brew again, then you could get another +1 to fortitude. I've played the game multiple times, but this is the only time the game lets you raise a stat above 24..
the_young_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 12:06 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Very important to split your gold into 5GP bags to buy the brew. As I learned the hard way, if you want to give him a few thousand for it, he'll take it -- and he doesn't give change!!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:08 AM   #8
Detah
Dungeon Master

The only person in the bar when I arrived was a Boogre guard stuck between the bar and the left pillar. He just kept walking in place towards the pillar. Not real bright. I believe I pushed him aside to get him unstuck. I tried to talk to him and he ignored me. I tried to trade with him and he ignores me.

Does the bartender have a special name that identifies him as a bartender, or is he just another boogre guard, who happens to have inventory to trade?

Does the bartender wander around the prison, or is he confined to the bar room? I prolly killed him inadvertantly at some point.

While, I have exited the boogre prison area already, I would still like to know the whats and whys for next go round.

That Giantstrike trait is very powerful. It may be worthwhile to position all my characters to a warrior role so they can pick up that skill. My Paladin now wields the Sword of Argus, has 20 STR, 20 DEX and gets 15-30 dam per strike now. Very nice. I can count on him to kill 1 mob / attack in every encounter now. WOOHOO! I just love this game.

BTW, my only character, who gained the Giantstrike trait, is a Paladin. So paladins can definitely gain it. The rest of my chars were 2 Bards, Priest, and 2 Wizards, who all gained +1 FORT. I tried several reloads on each of them. So you can be sure that Bards, Priests and Wizards _cannot_ get the trait. Just prior to entering the Boogre Prison I changed my Samurai (he maxed out his Sun spells) into a Bard. So I still dont know if Samurai can gain the trait. I suspect yes. I bet all the roles from the Warrior's guild can. That would make the most sense.

Detah
Old 02-19-2002, 03:15 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi Detah!!

I don't recall if he has a name but he does ask if you want some Boogres brew. I suspect that you might have killed him off but you can check around, these guys do seem to move about to some degree.

It does make sense that the fighterly types would be the only ones to get Giantstrike.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote