Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2002, 07:24 AM   #1
Tormentor
Manshoon

Anyone listens to this genre of music on this board?...
Great bands certainly are:

- Satyricon (!)
- Kampfar
- Limbonic Art
- Darkthrone
- Khold
- Immortal (everything before Damned in black)
- Burzum (yeah i know about the statements of this guy, but i think the music is genious... Det som engang var!)

but some diversity non-black metal like
- zyklon
- dodheimsgard
- impaled nazarene
- red harvest
- god dethroned

may also do... [img]smile.gif[/img]
so does anyone on this board also listens to black metal? i'm just curious..
(i do not count 'cradle of money')
Old 08-03-2002, 07:32 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Used to listen to it.

Agree with you on Burzum, he's a f***ed up freak but he used to be one of my favourites in the genre.
Quite a nice taste you have, Satyricon, Darkthrone, Burzum...
Only band I don't know is Khold, that must be quite a recent one, right? Or maybe I'm just out of it...

My favourites used to be Emperor, Satyricon, Abigor, Burzum, Darkthrone, Cradle Of Filth (whatever, kiddo - COF albums as far as I followed them are good!), Dimmu Borgir, Covenant, Troll, Ulver, Niden Div. 187, Mayhem, Empyrium, Immortal, Samael, Setherial, Arcturus. Can't remember most of the bands I had on my tradelist, this was still the tape-era so I threw most of it out. Only have the CDs left.
Also listened to dark ambient/industrial stuff a lot, still do as a matter of fact.

Edit: since my status of nitpicker seems to have been decided without me, I might as well live up to it and say there's a bunch of spelling errors in your sig, T. But welcome to the forum, anyway - haven't seen you around before.

[ 08-03-2002, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 08-03-2002, 08:22 AM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

Emperor and Mayhem... Read an article about their "lifestyle" recently, quite disturbing. But I take it that the music is more important than the look, or at least, I hope that's the case.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:27 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Emperor and Mayhem... Read an article about their "lifestyle" recently, quite disturbing. But I take it that the music is more important than the look, or at least, I hope that's the case.
What kind of lifestyle are we talking about here then ?
Old 08-03-2002, 08:31 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Don't believe everything you read in the papers Groj [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I met members from both Emperor (briefly) and Mayhem, so I know that it's 70% gimmick, 25% lies, and 5% well.......

Anyway, you are right that there's a number of disturbing sick freaks in that scene, blathering on about how they're being repressed and indoctrinated and proceeding to follow even more indoctrinating BS than the ones they were so offended by in the first place.
There have been some unfortunate accidents in past years which involved ex-members of both bands (I assume the article was about Bård "Faust" from Emperor who is serving jail time and Euronymous from Mayhem who was murdered by Varg Vikernes following a fight about a girl.) and they did leave a bad taste in my mouth, but yes, I do believe that the music should be seen apart from it.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:34 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
What kind of lifestyle are we talking about here then ?
Black metal, Johnny. Which some people with a severely impaired sense of reality have taken to the extremes of slandering and condemning religion, burning churches, murdering people, etc. but which normally only entails a slightly juvenile fascination with the occult, the evil side of humanity, magic, witchcraft, nature, vampirism or mythology.

[ 08-03-2002, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 08-03-2002, 08:44 AM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
What kind of lifestyle are we talking about here then ?[/QUOTE]From the All Music Guide website:

Quote:
Formed around 1985 by Necrobutcher and guitarist Euronymous (born Oystein Aarseth), Mayhem was the first death metal band from Norway to make much of an impact in their homeland, which in the early '90s developed a burgeoning underground scene rife with violent, sometimes anti-Christian activity — as evidenced by Mayhem's non-musical history. Drummer Hellhammer, who at one time worked in a mental hospital, is the only remaining member of the band's prime-period lineup. Lead vocalist Dead committed suicide in 1991 (two years after joining the band) by shooting himself in the head; Hellhammer made a necklace using some of his skull fragments, and Euronymous reportedly cooked and ate pieces of Dead's brain. Euronymous, in turn, was stabbed to death while in his underwear on August 10, 1993, by the band's bass player, Count Grishnackh (born Christian Vikernes). Grishnackh's alleged motive was jealousy over the fact that Euronymous had a more evil reputation; he inflicted 23 separate wounds, it was also rumored, so as to outdo rival band Emperor's drummer, Faust, who was convicted in the stabbing death of a homosexual acquaintance. When police arrested Grishnackh, they found over 150 kg of stolen dynamite in his house, complete with a plan to blow up a large church on a religious holiday. Grishnackh went on to pursue his electronic-influenced project Burzum while in prison; meanwhile, Euronymous' parents requested that his bass tracks be erased from Mayhem's 1994 album, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, (which featured session vocalist Attila Csihar). Still, thanks to growing worldwide interest in Norwegian death metal, Mayhem product has continued to appear on the shelves into the next century. Hellhammer also put together a new Mayhem lineup, which has toured sporadically.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:49 AM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Don't believe everything you read in the papers Groj [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I met members from both Emperor (briefly) and Mayhem, so I know that it's 70% gimmick, 25% lies, and 5% well.......

[/QUOTE]Let's hope it was, as the things described in it were sick, to say the least. The article in question was on AudioGalaxy, btw.

I've sent you a few PM's at PDM btw, Mel. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2002, 08:55 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL, what a load of sensationalism. The facts are mostly true, but it's a bad article. Some of its flaws:
Hellhammer did keep a fragment of that bloke's skull, he may or may not have put it on a necklace. Hey, people do stranger things to remember loved ones who died - as if urns with ashes in your living room are less "morbid".
That bit about the cooking and eating of the brain is laughable, "reportedly" indeed! Come on!
It's true though that Euronymous took pictures of the body, which sickens me, personally.
About Varg killing E. because he had a more evil reputation, oh puh-leaze Groj, can't you see the sensationalist tabloidism dripping all over it? They had a fight about a girl, for heaven's sake. LOL
Yep, that Faust person did kill someone who was gay, IIRC Jon from Dissection did the same thing. That's who I targetted when talking about sick freaks.

Like I said, there have been freaks involved in that scene in the past, but they might just as well have involved themselves with another scene if it were present at the time. The murders and churchburnings have gone through the tabloid media hundreds of times, but they are years in the past (early nineties).
I met Hellhammer, he's a nice bloke, married even. The current members of Emperor are nice as well, nothing wrong with them. It's a complete gimmick, it's so obvious! Sure, if you have a genre that so heavily relies on theatrics, exaggeration and show, there's bound to be quite a few nutcases attracted to it who take the whole thing far more serious than ever intended. But most of the people I met, while usually not the jolliest or optimistic of types, were a far stretch from the baby-eating maniacs the media would have them be.

Edited to remove sig

[ 08-03-2002, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 08-03-2002, 09:00 AM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Let's hope it was, as the things described in it were sick, to say the least. The article in question was on AudioGalaxy, btw.

I've sent you a few PM's at PDM btw, Mel. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well yeah, I'm actually surprised you haven't heard about it before - like I said this has been rehashed by the media forever. And I completely agree that it's MORE than sick, but it seems dubious to say the least that all you ever hear about a genre encompassing thousands of bands are the actions of a handful of nutcases that were affiliated with it. Hardly accurate or representative of the genre as a whole.

I replied on PDM btw