Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2002, 04:56 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

This has to do with the dualed Ranger/Cleric, specifically being allowed to cast spells from all spheres and whether it is legit. Even though you -can- do it in BG2, I wouldn't be cool with doing it if it was unethical.

I see two sides to the debate.

On one hand:
In the 2nd ed. PHB it says something along the lines of as soon as a Ranger reaches blah blah level, he gains access to druid spells. Therefore, once I reach this level, dual over, and pass my ranger level, I would think I regain all my Ranger Abilities, racial enemy, weapon profs. (as long as they are blunt), as well as the ability to have access to druid spells.

On the other hand:
The highest level I have access to is level 3. So it would seem that even if I get access to druid spells, I would only gain access to those spells of level 3 and below. Not only that, but if I were to be a mage, and dual over to a cleric (at level 2 for example), when I regain my mage abilities, I would have the casting ability of a second level mage as well as a whatever level cleric. How this translates over to the ranger/cleric is this. If I were to dual over to a cleric as soon as I get my first 1st level spell, and then regain levels, if the same system is being put into place for the mage/cleric, my ranger/cleric would only be able to cast one extra first level druid spell, and all the rest of my spell selections would have to be that of a Cleric.

Yeah, I -can- play the game any way I want, but I want to know what the standing is with the official 2nd AD&D rules. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:12 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Suppose you begin as a ranger and attain level 12, giving you 2 first-, 2 second-, and 1 third-level druid spell. At this point you dual-class your character to a cleric. At 13th level you may cast 6, 6, 6, 4, 2, and 2 spells of 1st through 6th level, respectively (not taking into account any bonuses for wisdom). You also regain your ranger abilities, giving you 2, 2, and 1 druid spells of 1st through 3rd level, respectively. I have always interpreted these rules strictly: your cleric spell slots are for cleric spells and ranger spell slots are for druid spells. If your cleric and druid spell choices happen to coincide then that is simply coincidence (you have 8 cure light wounds spells memorized; 6 as a cleric and 2 as a druid).

[img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] um...this actually isn't an ethical question, merely one of rules interpretation.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 08:16 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

yeah, you would think that, is that the case in BG? As in, if you dual over do you gain the extra spells that you gained as a ranger or just extra access? I never really tested this out. If it is the extra spells, then it would stand to reason that the Ranger/Cleric is not supposed to have major access to all the spheres.

Maybe I'll e-mail someone at TSR and ask.