Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2003, 08:45 AM   #1
SillySorcerer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Arrow

I recall that in BG1, there was some speculation that the difficulty of the final battle with Sarovok would increase exponentially each time you died-reloaded-tried again. After a few failed tries, the battle would become so difficult that it was pointless even to try.

The reason I bring it up is that a couple of nights ago I experienced something odd in ToB. I was battling Draconis and made some serious mistakes that got my little six pack killed. I reloaded and tried again, only to get several party members chunkified. On my third try, Draconis was so overwhelmingly powerful that nothing I did could even scratch him. My tried and true "time stop-improved alacrity-drop the hammer" tactic failed to lower his health in the slightest and my party quickly got slaughtered.

I quit in frustration only to try again, last night. This time, I killed him quickly and efficiently. Make me wonder what was going on. Do the battles become more difficult after a reload?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

No they don`t. It just seems like sometime becuase one doesn`t have the right tactics to defeat certain enemie.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:35 AM   #3
SillySorcerer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
No they don`t. It just seems like sometime becuase one doesn`t have the right tactics to defeat certain enemie.
I'm not kidding, Xen, he was freakin' invulnerable. I usually beat down dragons with no trouble.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by SillySorcerer:
quote:
I'm not kidding, Xen, he was freakin' invulnerable. I usually beat down dragons with no trouble. [/QUOTE]No,no. You was just too messy with the tactics. Or had a one time bug.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:44 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The computer is not smart enough to make the enemies use progressively smarter tactics after each Reload. What was the case in BG1 was that, if you Reloaded in a wilderness area, the monsters that were set to randomly spawn in that area would respawn--so the 2nd batch appears, whether you killed the 1st batch or not. So, a Level 4 party shows up, runs into a group of 4 Black Talon Elites, and the party's Mage gets killed. Reload. Oops, now there are *8* Black Talons, we got our collective but whooped. Reload. Hey, wait, now there are *12* of them! Hellllpppp!!!!

BG2 does not use this Reload-respawning technique, at least not to my knowledge. What is more likely is that on your 2nd & 3rd attempts on Draconis, you simply suffered bad timing--your spells kapt failing due to his Invisibility, which meant you couldn't tear his protections down, etc.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SillySorcerer:
quote:
I'm not kidding, Xen, he was freakin' invulnerable. I usually beat down dragons with no trouble. [/QUOTE]No,no. You was just too messy with the tactics. Or had a one time bug. [/QUOTE]Something like this couldn't be a bug, it's just not possible AFAIK.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:57 AM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

The only thing with ToB is that respawns are a lot more common than in SoA (remember Sendai's Enclave ) which may be hard to get used to for the first time.