Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 10:59 AM   #1
Guk73
Dungeon Master

Can anyone give some clues as to how I can easily take these guys out?
My party consists of:
Azuran (me) - Level 22 Half Elf Human Ranger
Minsc - Level 22
Jahiera - Level 16 Fighter/ Level 14 Druid
Imoen - Level 20 Mage/ Level 7 Thief
Aerie - Level 16 Cleric/Level 15 Mage
Nalia - Level 21 Fighter/ Level 4 Thief

Thanks,
Guk73
Old 12-02-2002, 11:15 AM   #2
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Where abouts are you stuck? If it's that spot where you appear in the door and are in a room filled with eight or so fire giants? If so, all i can recomend is invisibilty 10' radius (turn group AI off) then leave the room and take 'em on at your leasure. Watch out for the traps, though.

Two spells that will really help with fire giants are black blade of disaster and tenser's transformation. If Immy knows them, great. Tool her up (er.. that didn't sound so good) equip her with boots of speed and let her go.

Greater malison followed by a hold monster will keep them still.

Happy big'un bash'n [img]graemlins/fight.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:31 AM   #3
Alson
Galvatron

Fire Giants are melee monsters, and nothing more.
That is both their advantage and disadvantage.
Use this to your advantage:
  • Summons. Use Aerie, Imoen or Nalia to summon as many Mordekainen's Swords as possible.
    Haste them, and send them to melee the Fire Giants. They are immune to the Giants' damage.
  • Snipe 'em. The Giants are not fast. A hasted character (Boots of Speed, Oils of Speed, Haste, etc) with a decent THAC0 and a Missile weapon can easily snipe them one by one.
  • Nuke 'em. You have a lot of Magic in your party. That's good.
    Cast Chain Contingency with Imoen and Nalia, and fill it with x3 Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Condition : Enemy Sighted.
    Aerie should fill Sequencers with Holy Smite.
  • Blind 'em. Memorize Nature's Beauty (Jaheira has it). A single in the middle of the room should blind them all, *permanently*. Once they are blinded, they are easy targets.
  • Slay 'em. The average Fire Giant has a Save vs. Spell score of 7. With the help of Greater Malison, that would be 11. Now, cast Finger of Death (Nalia, Imoen and Aerie have it). FoD gives a -2 save penalty - so the chance of slaying them is 65%. Not amazing, but not shabby, too.
  • Vorpals. If you have no choice and you must fight them hand-to-hand, use Vorpal weapons (The Silver Sword and Minsc are a fine pair). They are not immune to Vorpal hits, and their saves aren't very good.
Let us know if you still encounter difficulties. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-02-2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Alson ]
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
Guk73
Dungeon Master

Thanks guys, those suggestions worked. Now I just have to get though this place.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:16 PM   #5
Alson
Galvatron

No problem. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 03:49 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

For me, the only tough part about the Marching Mountains were:

1) Foolishly thinking my Tank was man enough to take on 2 Fire Giants at once in a fair melee, with the rest of the party cheering him on
2) Trying to kill all of Chinchilla's band (one almost always gets away)
3) The group of Fire Giants right inside the entrance can cause some serious havok if they get past your Tanks.

After that, everything's gravy. I had a Boots-of-Speeded Valygar, dual-wielding CF and CF, and he just went on a Backstabbing frenzy. It's fun to watch something the size of a Fire Giant explode into a tiny little spray of meat.

Oh, yeah: Don't use Fireball here.

Ring of Fire Resistance
Ring of Fire Control
Red Dragon Scale
Darkmail+2
Dragon Helm
Helm of the Rock
Helm of Defense
Dragon Scale Shield
Delryn Family Shield
Ice Star+4
any others, besides spells/scrolls/potions?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:09 AM   #7
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I'm going with Six on this - these guys shouldn't actually give you any trouble at that level. Just use huge quantities of healing potions and magically nuke them to bits. Abi Dalzims is obviously quite a handy spell for this kind of time. Any insect spells from Jaheira work wonders as well. Then just send in the two rangers in your party buffed up to the hilt. In theory you should be picking bits of giant off of the ceiling for weeks...

If its the later bits you're having problems with I can only advise resting and repeating. Or getting someone to use the Wave halberd - it instantly destroys Fire-elementals and Burning Men. That can speed up the whole process of causing carnage...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 06:20 AM   #8
Whailor

I don't know, I may mix this up this perhaps with some other spot, but I think that after completing the SoA with "good" selections, it made you immune to hits with weapons of +1 and less. Topped off with a good fire resist, I was practially immune to the fire giants... somewhere. Their melee attack didn't do a thing, and fire part of it neither (not to mention it would have been minimal anyway).

[ 12-05-2002, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Whailor ]
Old 12-16-2002, 04:59 AM   #9
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

What? your pc is a half elf human? lol I see that you have Jaheira in your party. Use your highest level insect plague spell with her, it does wonders on the fire giants and hopefully it will spread to the one who is a mage.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:45 PM   #10
Raistlin Majere
Ra

I would have to say the best tactic would be to have Imoen and Nalia cast Horridwilting, Jaheira Creeping Doom and Aerie could cast something like Holysmite or perhaps an ice storm. Have your tanks keep the giants away from the spellcasters. this tactic should work in the later bits too.

[ 12-18-2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Raistlin Majere ]

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote