Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Son of Osiris

One of the biggest fears in America (and other places) today is Terrorism. I don't have Bible Clips or much wisdom for this problem, but you *CAN* survive a Terrorist Attack. I've got links to information on how to survive everything from a subtle anthrax attack to a dirty suicide bomb. Also, I'll tell you what you can do to save those around you from the same, messy fate and I'll even tell you what to do about that smart-ass who laughs at you when you say a Chemical Attack is imminent.

For pretty much ANY attack:
http://www.ready.gov/
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2116/nbc.htm

For those that are afraid that North Korea has the balls to use it's nukes or that Al-Qaeda got it's greasy hands on a nuke:
http://www.surviveanuclearattack.com/
http://www.oasisllc.com/abgx/disaster.htm

For those that are afraid of Chemical Attacks (by that I don't mean one of my farts
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/hazards-3.php
http://www.gun-room.com/chemicalwarfare.html <-- They got books/Gas Masks for sale.

For those that are afraid of Biological Attacks, just go to www.ready.gov

Saving Others ===================================

Homeless People: Yes, Homeless people have a right to live just as much as the next guy. Unfortunatley, there's not much you can do except for maybe tell them what they need to know to survive.

=================================================

Pets: You don't want your little fluffy bundle of joy to be dead, do you? Didn't think so. Stock up on about a year's worth of pet food.

=================================================

Unsuspecting Relatives/Friends on the Way For a Visit: Sadly, there's almost nothing you can do to save them. All you can do is find some way to inform them of the tradgety and hope they make it out alive.

================================================

And now here's the last part: Dealing with the Smart-Alec!

The Smart-Ass is the dumb-ass that does any of these when you talk about Terrorism:
-> Laughs at You
-> Heckles You
-> Insults You
-> Tries to tell you "It Can't Happen"
-> Tries to get you shunned because of your "idiotic" fears.
-> Yells at you for "Being Paranoid"
-> Interrupts you and counters what you say with BS
-> Use up your Emergancy Supplies claiming "You weren't gonna use it anyway"
-> Mock you for stocking up on supplies.
REMEMBER: YOU'RE NOT THE ONE WHO'S GOING TO DIE: THEY WILL. Maybe not today, Maybe not tommorow, but SOON. But you have to counter the smart-ass before they get you killed. Take it from me, I have same problem.
-> Convince them that it CAN happen with horrid pictures of Chemical/Nuclear/Biological Victims. SO WHAT IF IT SPOOKS THEM!? Remember: Until they realize this can happen, THEY ARE YOUR ENEMY!!!
-> Show them News Articles of Terrorist Attacks that are NOT on Mid-East Soil and NOT military targets.
-> Tell them to look around them -- Watch the news more, set radio stations to news, and set the Home Page to the news.

If all else fails, sorry to say but neither of you will survive. You have to beat them at their own game or sue them for harassment.
================================================== =======================

I've given you some survival skills, now let's bend over and moon Al-Qaeda!
[img]graemlins/moon.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

*shrugs*
Well, as long as these posts keep you off the streets...
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Too live in fear is not to live at all. I chose to keep an eye out. But not to change my life to much. In other words I refuse to give into fear and stock up on supplies I may never need or use. My PET could die tomorrow then I would have wasted all that money. Guess I could make sandwiches from it.

[ 04-23-2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:42 AM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

The bigget threat from "Dirty bombs" is more in peoples imagination. Unless you happen to be very close to the explosion (close enough that a normal bomb would be unhealthy too) about the only effect you'll get is a slight increase in the possibility of cancer. However, I'm sure you can all imagine what someplace like New York City would turn into once people heard that there was a dirty bomb, the resulting chaos would probably cause more problems then the actual bomb.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:04 AM   #5
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

new york doesnt have to worry about bombs at this point, too much security on the east coast. intelligence is suggesting a city on the west coast as the next target. a shipping city, like los angelos, san francisco, portland, or seattle.

The attack won't be a dirty bomb either. bin laden has laid claim to the fact that he has suitcase nuclear devices (full nuclear explosion). as a physics major i can tell you that this is not an impossibility, these weapons are easy to build, and weapons grade uranium/plutonium can be purchased from former soviets.

the current suitcase nuclear device would have a blast radius that would destroy everything for at least a two mile radius, but probably more like three to five miles.

Terrorism is coming, it MUST be fought before it can fight back. be afraid...
Old 04-24-2004, 06:28 AM   #6
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
new york doesnt have to worry about bombs at this point, too much security on the east coast. intelligence is suggesting a city on the west coast as the next target. a shipping city, like los angelos, san francisco, portland, or seattle.

The attack won't be a dirty bomb either. bin laden has laid claim to the fact that he has suitcase nuclear devices (full nuclear explosion). as a physics major i can tell you that this is not an impossibility, these weapons are easy to build, and weapons grade uranium/plutonium can be purchased from former soviets.

the current suitcase nuclear device would have a blast radius that would destroy everything for at least a two mile radius, but probably more like three to five miles.

Terrorism is coming, it MUST be fought before it can fight back. be afraid...
What a load of old tripe !!
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

may be a load of old tripe, but its also an official military intelligence report...

so, who is more qualified to make the call, official military intelligence or you? im going to rely on the military for this one, sorry.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
For those that are afraid that North Korea has the balls to use it's nukes or that Al-Qaeda got it's greasy hands on a nuke:
http://www.surviveanuclearattack.com/
It's not just to duck and cover? Aww.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:33 AM   #9
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
may be a load of old tripe, but its also an official military intelligence report...

so, who is more qualified to make the call, official military intelligence or you? im going to rely on the military for this one, sorry.
Military Intelligence suggest weapons of mass destruction in Iraq!!!

How do you get access to miltary intelligence reports. Ars you a spy?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:27 AM   #10
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

so did the UN's intelligence. it's only a matter of time before the WMD shows up. i suspect in the near future we're going to see a terrorist carrying a bomb stamped with the saddam regime seal.

and i have access to declassified reports because i happen to be in the military.