Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The wreck was her fault. In fact, she has so many points already that she will lose her license if I call my ins. co. to report it. My car may be totalled. Her father offered to pay for the car repair if I did not call it in. I called today and said I would take the value of teh car, $1500, and I would not call the ins. I only have 24 hours to make my claim. He said he wants a professional body repair guy to look at it. I am fine with that, but I want to be assured that they will not bring anything up in court later about this, and I do not know what to do about transportation in the meantime. I have finals in two weeks. I don't have school tomorrow, so I can go and try to get a body repair guy to write an estimate, and then get the father to see it, give me a check that will not bounce (maybe cashier's check or money order), and get it in the bank before 5pm. If something gets me hung up and late in calling the ins., I am dead.

If I call the ins...that will protect me from court fees and lawyer fees later, incase they try to sue me for who knows what. Again, it was her fault, but who knows what a lawyer may be able to pull up against me. If I take the payoff, I will not suffer my own ins. going up, as even though it is not my fault, my ins. will go up if reported. What the hell do I do?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Make the deal, let insurance out of it. That's how we usually deal with things around here, given that the car isn't a total wreck.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
The legal repurcusions alone would have me calling the insurance company. IIRC in florida you have to call in the insurance company on an accident. In fact, neither vehicle is legally permintted to leave the scene until an officer arrives. Otherwise its a hit and run.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 04-20-2004, 04:31 AM   #4
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

CALL THE INSURANCE!!!

1) she obviously sucks at driving, taking her off the road might not be such a bad idea

2) liability for legal issues: he could claim you blackmailed him, or tried to bribe him. there are a hundred and one ways to get screwed

3) he delays past the twenty four hour deadline and doesnt pay you jim diddley... dont risk it.

want my advice? go the right way and call the insurance.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:45 AM   #5
Skippy1
Elminster

Sounded fine, until he wanted the car inspected.

Then it just sounded sus! Tell him his options are to pay up in full with cash, or your on the phone to the insurance. Also mention that you have already had legal advice and that if this is not acceptable then the deal is off and you will begin court action.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:17 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

Call the insurance man... it's the wisest you can do. and if the dad is willing to break that law (it's the law there like here, to call in the insurance right?... )I imagine he has no qualms about screwing you over.

I hope you see it too... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 06:05 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well you can ask him for something like the cash first for your car (something like the market price of your car) as a leverage or assurance. so incase he doenst pay you in repair, you still can use his cash he has given you to repair your car.

but i agree with everyone else, call the insurance and let them take care of it.. its saves you and everyone the hassle.. period.

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-20-2004, 07:30 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Larry, dude, you need to call the insurance company NOW! This guy is scamming you. Plus, get this crazy girl off the road!!! She could kill someone man...

Seriously man.. call NOW!

Old 04-20-2004, 08:02 AM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I'd also say get him to pay up NOW otherwise call the insurance co.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
ryaldin
Elminster

If the girl is a bad enough driver to already have enough points off of her license to lose it, that's not your responsibility. Your job, is to look out for yourself. Call your insurance agent, to prevent scamming, or worse, from having a lawsuit come your way.

Plus, I'll feel just that tiny bit safer on the roads, once she's gone [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]