Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I guess I made a mistake by shopping on eBay. I bought some Babylon 5 DVD's and now I'm getting sh!tty emails. I thought they had better protection on email addresses?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

I still wouldn't trust ebay, people can shop there if they want, i just expect it to go wrong. Not a fan [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
I guess I made a mistake by shopping on eBay. I bought some Babylon 5 DVD's and now I'm getting sh!tty emails. I thought they had better protection on email addresses?
Are you sure your address was scammed at ebay? I get several spam messages every day at my work email address - and it isn't listed with ebay.

I've just noticed there seem to be LOTS more spam in all of my email addresses over the last year or so.

Also, I've been buying stuff off ebay for over 2 years and never had a problem with any of the products I bought or sellers I bought from. I also sold some stuff on ebay, but haven't pursued that side of it very much.

Sorry to hear you're getting the crappy emails, but I'm not sure it's because you bought off ebay.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

I doubt it's from ebay.
There are generators that the spammers use now that just send out to combinations. So for example they know aol.com is an ip, so the program starts sending to cerek @aol.com cereka @aol.com cerekb @aol.com and so on and so forth and eventually it hits upon the combination that matches your address.

Sucks, huh?
I have an email address that no one but family and friends have, and even that gets a few emails a month.

Also, never use yahoo to send cards and don't let anyone send you a card from yahoo greetings. They sell the mail addresses, so you WILL get spammed from that.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
dplax
Jack Burton

When I created my hotmail account which is my IW nick @hotmail.com I got the first junkmail in less than a minute. I don't think ebay sells the emails, they should be making enough money off of auctions not to need this.

However ever since I created my gmail account, I did not get any spam there. It might be that gmail has a much better filter, or just that spammers aren't targeting gmail yet.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

www.mailwasher.net

Lifesafer of the century.

I just started using Ebay, and love it, will get my first item tomorrow I suppose. Only problem I have is with people who snipe the items you think you have won... I did it once, not really proud of it, but if you can't beat them... join them...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
quietman1920

Snipers took a Godzilla action-figure away from my 8 year-old son on Ebay. Granted, he was ordering with my wife and she isn't that street savy, but try explaining to a crying child, who isn't getting the toy they expected, that "well, that's just E*Bay..."
Old 02-17-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
I don't think ebay sells the emails, they should be making enough money off of auctions not to need this
Enough money? Preposterous! No such thing!

Agreed though, hehe. My gmail account seems immune to the effects of spam as well, though when I check the "spam" section, it's pretty well stocked - they just do a good job of filtering thus far.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

I've never gotten spam from using ebay as either a buyer or seller. In fact in the last few months I've been on a DnD buying spree, buying 20 or so old books through seperate auctions. No spam at all.

[ 02-17-2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 02-17-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

BTW, if the spam is from Ebay itself, you can opt out by changing your account settings. I opted in and only receive a few emails a month that have nothing to do with my transactions.

Oh yeah....
BE VERY CAREFUL of fake "phishing" emails that ask for account information or passwords. These are growing more and more common. People will steal your account and use it to commit fraud. Dont even click on any links in theses emails!!! You might get a trojan virus or worst that steals all your passwords and other sensitive information.

Check the ebay security site for more information.