Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Maximum Age Diffrence In a Relationship
no more than 3 years 10 29.41%
5 years 3 8.82%
10 years 6 17.65%
doesn't matter 8 23.53%
something else... explain 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2004, 08:43 PM   #11
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

coyote and I are 9 years apart, that does not bother me too much. I personally do not thik age is a problem as long as everyone is consenting adults the only problem I see is if say someone is in their teens (below 18) and the other is in their 20's.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:07 PM   #12
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Well my reason for this poll is I just heard something very disturbing, a guy here in my town, one year older than me (which makes him 30) is "dating" a 16 years old girl. That to me borders on a crime I think.
In some areas 16 is the age of consent, right? I am unsure. Either way, it's wrong. Even if you have perspective and maturity at 16, you lack the *experience* that somebody almost twice your age would have. This is the same reason people going steady at age 15 bothers me somewhat.

Note- When I say going steady, I'm thinking of people who have been together throughout high school. Sometimes they get married after. I, personally, do not find such behavior wise. But that's another debate.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:33 AM   #13
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

That age gap expands when you get old. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I consider a 16 year-old prospect right now, and I am 19. If she were 15, no way. But then, I was 25 and she was 19, that'd be possible also. Stressing the same point some people were saying. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:56 PM   #14
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I'm not comfortable with the 30yrs-16yrs combination either; I think, like Illumina, that at 16 you lack experience, but also, with few exceptions, they aren't hugely mature at that age. On the other hand, every situation is different and I think often in cases like this we tend to think of the older person (especially if it's a man, those old stereotypes rearing up) as somewhat of a predator, or a weirdo, when that need not be the case.

As well, in all relationships with an age difference, not just ones that involve quite young people, my feelings on how old people should be are relevant for myself, but I wouldn't impose them on anyone else. It's not my place to disapprove of someone else's relationship, especially when you consider that most relationships people have are relatively short-term - marriage or similar doesn't usually result from it. There are rational reasons why large age gaps aren't the best idea, but in the main people work that out for themselves rather than having well-meaning friends and relatives clucking their tongues and telling them to end it.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:54 PM   #15
Mundus
Dungeon Master

i havent eva been in a relationship where the age difference was less than 4 yrs i see nuthin wrong wit age differences as long as the two ppl concerned have no problem with it.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:14 AM   #16
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I've nothing wrong with people having relationship if they have a 10 years difference. However, I'll give a strange eye to any that is above that. imagine your 20ish year old daughter/son coming home and say " hi mum/dad, I brought along my boyfriend/ girlfriend " And when you look it's a 60ish year old man/woman. Yikes!
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:27 AM   #17
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

My wife and I are 5 years apart with her being older than me. When we first started out I was 21 and she was 26. She had a few problems at the start however we talked about it and sorted it out and 4 years later we are married.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:29 PM   #18
Epona
Zartan

As long as both are over the age of consent and there is no element of coercion, why should it matter? Some 16 year olds are very emotionally mature, while some 30 year olds act like kids. It depends on the individuls, not on chronological age alone.

I have always tended to go for older men (usually 7 to 14 years my senior) but have recently bucked the trend - I am living with my partner who is 6 months younger than me, it's probably the closest age I've been to anyone I've dated, and the first bloke I've ever dated who has been younger than me.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #19
Aerich
Lord Ao

I don't think age really matters. That said, it depends on the people involved and how much they care about what other people think. I do agree that it would be awkward at certain ages though.

Personally, at my age (23) I wouldn't go out with anyone more than 5 years younger or older than myself. I'd rather not look like a lecherous cradle-robber or a piece of cougar bait.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:35 PM   #20
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Just wondering what you guys think is "appropriate" age diffrence between couples... if you think that at all of course... [img]smile.gif[/img]
ido happen to think and it shouldn't matter i'm like 15 and me and this 20 year old have a thing,if your in love {or so you think}it shouldnt matter

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote