Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 04:06 AM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I've just found out from my uncle that 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons is going to be updated to the 3.5 Edition. It's good to know that for a few reasons, one of which explaining why Dungeon Magazine hasn't printed out any modules in the last few months (waiting for the updated version to make them) but it's also a pain in the butt. If anyone here actually plays the roleplaying game AD&D, you'd know what I'm talking about. I was also very angry because it's only been 2 years since they came out with 3rd Edition and now after getting a whole set of books (worth around 225 dollars), they make another set with more changes added into it.

Then we looked onto the main AD&D site (Wizards of the Coast), and found out they're changing very, very small things like a couple of bonus feats added and the same ones just with different names. Honestly I don't see the point of even selling new books with such small differences in them, it's a waste of money (for making them and for the people buying them).

It may not make much difference to some, but I justed wanted to say something about it.

Later

[ 04-06-2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 04-06-2003, 04:15 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's simple. Dungeon&Dragon was bought by wizard of the coast. Wizard of the coast release a new Magic the Gathering edition about every 3 months, as they do with the gazilion other collectible card games they sell, and they seem to think a similar strategy will work for roleplaying rulebooks too.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:21 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

WotC ruined AD&D.

How I miss TSR.

BTW, I'm thinking of writing a novel for the Greyhawk series. That is one series that needs writers!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 04-06-2003, 06:03 AM   #4
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
It's simple. Dungeon&Dragon was bought by wizard of the coast. Wizard of the coast release a new Magic the Gathering edition about every 3 months, as they do with the gazilion other collectible card games they sell, and they seem to think a similar strategy will work for roleplaying rulebooks too.
You forget Luvian, AD&D isn't a card game [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 07:48 PM   #5
Tancred
White Dragon

Perhaps there'll be an addendum on their website when Version 3.5 does come out for those with old rulebooks...?
Old 04-06-2003, 10:41 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

I'm still using first and mostly second edition for my pnp gaming. I have over 50 books and modules and the core-rules cd-rom, so until those wear away into dust from weekly use or my players randomly decide they want to learn a different system, I ain't buying anymore books, so tough wotc! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 11:35 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
Perhaps there'll be an addendum on their website when Version 3.5 does come out for those with old rulebooks...?
Well, another part I read about it is that a lot of people had trouble understanding the rules and the guys that made them are supposed to be math geniuses. So they're putting out the new books to clarify what they mean (in other words, explain the rules better) but it'd be nice if they'd tell us more info on what's changed in the books before money goes down the drain [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 11:52 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
You forget Luvian, AD&D isn't a card game [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I never said it was a good idea.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:16 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

sounds like they are trying to milk the cash cow.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:11 PM   #10
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Exactly, too bad money doesn't grow on trees