Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2003, 03:22 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

To the Moon in a Space Elevator? (Technology 2:00 a.m. PDT)

Less than two decades from now, equipment and even people could reach
the cosmos by way of an elevator zipping along a 62,000-mile carbon
nanotube. By Steve Kettmann.

[ 02-04-2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]
Old 02-04-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I read about that on MSNBC.com a few moneths ago. I think it is a fascinating idea. Its funny to think that something like this, that even a few years ago, was pure science fiction, is now actually possible and being talked about being built. I think this is a great time to be living as far as science and technology goes. We are developing so fast who knows what will be possible even before the end of our lifetime. its hard to imagine that even a mere hundrer years ago we didn't have cars or TVs or computers, and even the idea of a "space shuttle" was obsurd. look how far we have come in how little time. Its really amazing and kind of scary, maybe we are moving too fast.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:50 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

The atlantis almost blew up deploying a small scale (50KMs) elevator from LEO to the upper atmosphere. But if they can actualy build it, great. The atmospheric portion of the flight, especialy reentry, is the most dangerous and expensive part of space travel. A space elevator neatly removes it.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:22 PM   #4
daan
Silver Dragon

Its stupid, utterly stupid .. nobody cares about presentation anymore these days :shakeshead:
Serieusly, we cant knock on the door of highly advanced alien doors(??) and then proudly claim we can go to the moon by *elevator* ... argh, the agony !!

We *need* big engines, mushroom blasts and Ion-motors ...
I mean, think about it:

Advanced Alien joe: Yeah, we came here by space-time defribillator,.. V12
Human Dick ( its his name o.k., not his fault): I took the elevator

I'm digusted with these people, I really am
Old 02-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Of course the fact that the moon rotate round the Earth will mean the access point to the elevator would constantly be moving. This sounds like GARBAGE to me. Even if feasible - who'd use it? Can you imagine being 29kilometers up and pushing the "emergency" button.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:37 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

The elevator only goes up to synchronous orbit. If it can be built, and I think it can with technology not all that far off, you can replace the enourmously expensive and highly dangerous launch and re-entry phases of spaceflight with about an hour in an elevator at a real cost of less that 100$ per person. Thats not accounting for travel agency rip-off and whatever the governments concerned want to take..

Of course, if someone wanted to go further than the top of the elevator, you would then need big engines. The moon would probably be less than a days travel for a round trip.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:46 PM   #7
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

call me crazy, but umm whats the point? why would we need or want an improved mode of travel to the moon when the moon is completely devoid of anything worthwhile?
Old 02-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielles blades:
call me crazy, but umm whats the point? why would we need or want an improved mode of travel to the moon when the moon is completely devoid of anything worthwhile?
Who cares about the moon? Economical travel to a mmicogravity environment would do wonders for the pharmaceuticals industry, and most other high tech industries as well come to that. Plus once you can get material up there cheaply, you could in theory build yourself enough farmland to end world hunger for good.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Given that one of the worst obstacles for space travel is escaping the Earth's atmosphere and gravity this makes sense (if we wanted a more extended push into space).

If we could launch spacecrafts from a low-gravity atmosphereless place, like the moon, many things would suddenly become possible.

We would still have to learn how to set up and operate actual manufacturing facilities on the Moon.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:59 PM   #10
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

how would it help those industries? all of their work is done on earth no?

and as for ending world hunger, it would cost trillions to give the moon the facilities or atmosphere etc to make a working farm; you may as well just make a really big boat and have your farms in the ocean if your out of space on land.