Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

With some of the great shows out there ending on a high note does anyone have a favorite ending. Did you like the ending of Friends or Buffy or M.A.S.H or Cheers. And what is the deal for some of the shows ending when they could atleast get one more season out of it. Or do you think it is better to go out on top or go out just bellow being on top. Enough babble give me your Fav. ending show.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Seinfeld. All jailed. Perfect. They were funny, but if I knew any of those people in real life, I'd punch the daylights out of them.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I liked the Seinfeld ending too. I know a lot of people thought it was too 'high concept' but I thought it was funny, and Jerry's last standup especially. I did like the ending of Buffy as well. We haven't seen the last episodes of Friends or Frasier yet (for some reason the network that shows Friends showed new episodes from the latest season earlier this year, but have now decided to stop that and show repeats instead. They are the most ass-holeish station ever, seriously [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] ).

I think it's hard for shows to know when to stop - with Seinfeld for example, I would have loved to see another series, but I think they were right to get out on top instead of waiting till they were on a decline. They can't please everyone though - some people think that Frasier should have ended with Daphne and Niles getting together, but I don't really agree - they're not even the main characters in the show! Why should their storyline be the most critical? Same with Friends, a lot of people say it should have finished up a couple of seasons ago, but I think it's still funny (and hey, they always stole their jokes from Seinfeld right from the start, so them doing it still now isn't really a good reason to end the show ). And it is a job, as well as being entertainment. You can hardly blame those involved not wanting to cut and run earlier than they want just because some critics think they should - look at the cast of Seinfeld - sure they all have stacks of money but they're having so much trouble getting new shows because they're all so typecast now. You wouldn't expect a construction company to dissolve after they finished a big contract because they were really going well, so why a TV show?
Old 05-22-2004, 01:26 AM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

I liked the Friends ending, even if it was a bit (okey a a lot) corny.

Also about the Seinfeld ending, which is my favourite (even if I saw it for the first time 3 months ago [img]smile.gif[/img] ), the last dialog between George and Seinfeld about the button on George shirt, was exactly the same as the opening dialog of the Pilot...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:02 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

The Buffy series finale was quite possibly the worst finale I've ever seen; overblown, cheesy, melodramatic, even by the standards of the Buffy-verse very far-fetched and unconvincing - but then again, I suppose that was the ending the series deserved for the absolutely dreadful, tiresome 7th season.
On a different note, the Angel series finale was everything the Buffy one wasn't - it had at least a sense of realism, top-notch acting, well written, memorable and quotable scenes, and despite the not so happy (open) ending, it still ended on a high note - you keep thinking about how it would have ended if the show hadn't been cancelled, which is probably the greatest strength of it all.
Similarly, Farscape also ended on quite a disheartening note (the main characters being evaporated the moment they decide to marry one another - waddaya mean anti-climax? ), which could have been a very interesting season cliffhanger, but when the fifth season got cancelled, such a cliffhanger doesn't really provide you with the closure one would normally get from a happily ever after-ending (which in my opinion only helps to add to the myth of the show and gives it a more prominent position in your memory).
Ah well, the evil nature of sudden cancellations - sometimes it ends the series on a brilliantly absurd high note (Twin Peaks!), sometimes it just makes you frown a lot (Red Dwarf) and wonder why no one cared to do just one last episode to provide us with some sense of closure, whether on a high or on a fatalistic note. Some make you think a lot about what might-have-been, others just make you feel dirty.

I liked the Seinfeld ending as well, by the way. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-22-2004, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 05:42 AM   #6
uss
20th Level Warrior

Heh, the last episodes I saw of Friends was where Joey starts loving Rachel. Could you tell me which season that could be? I'd like to know how far along the show the Estonian channel is.

[ 05-22-2004, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: uss ]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
Jorath Calar
Harper

that was season 8... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
uss
20th Level Warrior

Wow, that's pretty far. I was expecting that I'd hear "Dude, that was season 3!" or something
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Why should the shows end at all?!?! LOL [img]tongue.gif[/img]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote