Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2002, 08:09 AM   #1
The Cavalier
Manshoon

Spoiler
When I fight Kangaxx, HOW DO I BEAT HIM! I can usually fight him pretty good until he turns to a demi-liche. Then I can't even hurt him. Not with The Holy Avenger, not with the Daystar, Not with sunray. none of my characters can seem to beat hurt the demi liche. And are the items I get for beating him worth my trouble?
The Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:10 AM   #2
The Cavalier
Manshoon

sorry about double posting, it was an accident
The Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:26 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

The reward from Kangaxx is decent enough. IMHO, it should be a bit better, though.

Here is the tactic I use when fighting Kangaxx:

-Required: Ring of the Ram, and a Mage who can counteract Imprisonment (hint: Imprisonment is an abjurative spell. )

-Do this: Fight Kangaxx until he becomes a Demi-Lich, which you seems to be able to. But remember to be protected against Imprisonment before he becomes Demi. Then, when he starts casting Demi-Lich's Howl, which is the first and most deadly spell he has, quickly use Ring of the Ram on him. This will inflict a great deal of damage to him, as well as interrupting his spellcasting. Now, bash on Kangaxx with all you got. From thsi point, he will only be casting Imprisonment, which you and your party members are protected against.
This is a fairly easy tactic, which has only taken me two reloads at max. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and btw, Kangaxx the Demi Lich is immune to up to +5 enchanted weapons. Use Carsomyr or Mace of Disruption +2.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
The reward from Kangaxx is decent enough. IMHO, it should be a bit better, though.
/me jaw drops.

The Ring of Gaxx is the ring of all rings. Name me one other ring that can even begin to compare to it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Quote:
Oh, and btw, Kangaxx the Demi Lich is immune to up to +5 enchanted weapons. Use Carsomyr or Mace of Disruption +2.
Minor correction. In general, Kangaxx the Demi-Lich can be struck by weapons that are +4 enchanted or better.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:34 AM   #5
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
/me jaw drops.

The Ring of Gaxx is the ring of all rings. Name me one other ring that can even begin to compare to it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Odin Magnus, stunned and offended by his creator's words, gives Dundee the finger, which is decorated by the lovely Ring of Wizardry. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I was refering to Sorcerers and Mages specifically, of course.
And, IMO, the Ring of Free Action is nearly as good as the Ring of Gaxx.

[ 11-15-2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:51 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
Odin Magnus, stunned and offended by his creator's words, gives Dundee the finger, which is decorated by the lovely Ring of Wizardry. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I was refering to Sorcerers and Mages specifically, of course.
And, IMO, the Ring of Free Action is nearly as good as the Ring of Gaxx.
LOL! Ah yes, in the case of Mages/Sorcerers, the Ring of Gaxx is not necessarily the best ring, but I was thinking in an overall view. No other ring confers so much benefits that can be applied to almost all of the classes. The Ring of Free Action is good, but many items simulate its' single enchantment.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:21 PM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Many items that grant full Free Action?

Free Action is not powerful by itself, but it opens the door for various tactics that we're too vulnerable before - for example, x3 Symbol : Stun in a Chain Contingecy.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Old 11-15-2002, 12:28 PM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
All I can think of besides RoFA, is Spider's Bane. [img]smile.gif[/img]

@Dundee, I also think that the Ring of Gaxx is the by far best ring in the game, but when you have defeated a Demi-Lich, which are supposed to be one of the absolutely strongest creatures in Faerun, I think you should get a bit more than that. Throw in some Cloak or Robe too, and I'll be happy. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:42 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Free Action is not powerful by itself, but it opens the door for various tactics that we're too vulnerable before - for example, x3 Symbol : Stun in a Chain Contingecy.
Maybe not full, but there are stuff like Arbane's Short Sword, Potions of Freedom, Keldorn's Firecam Armour, Cleric Spell:Free Action, etc... ...

Worse comes to worst, I use the Ring of Free Action, but most of the time, I keep it in a Gem Bag.

--------

Spoilers
~
~
~
~
To Sir Exxon,

You also receive 52,000 Xp and bragging rights. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Most opponents only drop one worthwhile loot. Firkragg is Carsomyr, Thax is Shadow Dragon Scale Armour, Nizi is Bladesinger, Twisted Rune is Staff of Magi, etc... ...

I say it is a bargain to get the Ring of Gaxx from one of the easiest enemies in the game.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:13 PM   #10
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Maybe not full, but there are stuff like Arbane's Short Sword, Potions of Freedom, Keldorn's Firecam Armour, Cleric Spell:Free Action, etc... ...[/QUOTE]Arbane's protecion is partly.
Potions of Freedom are good, yet temporary.
Keldorn's Armor is, well... Keldorn's Armor, so it's no good to other characters (except for Monks in a non-patched game and UAI Thieves).
The Free Action spell is a, *gasp*, spell. [img]tongue.gif[/img]