Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Came across this on the IMDB site, I wonder is Nimoy is going to ended like Bob Crane....

Nimoy Dropped by Jewish Group

Star Trek star Leonard Nimoy has been dropped from a Jewish fundraising event - after the actor used religious symbols in a photography book featuring nude women. The original Mr Spock was due to speak at the October 23 bash for The Jewish Federation Of Greater Seattle - a community group that raises around $10 million a year for charities. But Federation director Barry Goren withdrew the invitation this week after it was discovered the actor - who was born into an orthodox Jewish family - had used ritual objects in Shekhina, a recently published book of his nude photography. The cover for Shekhina shows a woman with her left arm wrapped in phylacteries, a prayer accessory men traditionally wear, and her right breast visible through a translucent garment. Goren to Associated Press, "I think it's pretty self-explanatory. If you were running a charity fund-raising dinner and there were going to be images of naked women or naked women with Jewish ritual objects draped on them, that might be offensive to some folks." But 71-year-old Nimoy - who played the pointy-eared Vulcan in Star Trek TV shows and movies for over 25 years - was stunned to be ousted by Goren. Insisting the federation knew about the photographs when he was invited to the event in July, Nimoy says, "It may be an anomaly. I hope it is. We have not had this kind of reaction anyplace else. It's a photographic essay on the subject of the Shekhina, which is the feminine presence of God, the feminine aspect of divinity. This is not some figure that is a foggy mist in a cloud somewhere. I have depicted her as being a flesh-and-blood woman."
Old 10-11-2002, 04:04 PM   #2
Moni

Poor old man lol.
It sounds like his "art" is being dragged through the Jewish mud. If they really knew about it, I would bet it has something to do with a major contributer of funds being offended and threatening to hold out on the money if he was let to speak.
I doubt he'll end up like Bob Crane, he's way too old. If anything, he may end up like Bob Barker though (sued for "sexual harrassment")
I didn't know he was a photographer! Now I am curious to see the pictures.

Old 10-11-2002, 04:07 PM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

You can check out the cover of his book on Amazon (just do a search in books with his last name). The cover is barely PG-13 and very nice, IMO.

I wonder if that was Spock or Nimoy speaking when he said "It may be an anomaly" lol.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:30 PM   #4
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
I wonder if that was Spock or Nimoy speaking when he said "It may be an anomaly" lol.
LOL! That exact though crossed my mind as well.
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out!

Old 10-12-2002, 06:15 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

Ah yes, I knew he was a photographer nowadays... Much better than his earlier singing career, in any way.