Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A friend of mine's brother is having problems getting his Win98 (first edition) machine to recognize his wireless NIC. He's looking to upgrade to Win98SE to fix the problem. At this point, I don't know what the actual problem is, nor what he's done, nor what he thinks that Win98SE will do to fix the problem.

That being said, does anyone have any feedback on Win98 running a wireless NIC? Any special problems or concerns, or things to be aware of? A quick Google search didn't pick up anything, and seemed to point to installing the drivers from the provided CD (again, I don't know if that's been done).

TIA
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

So what, you're saying he's installed the NIC and when you boot up Win98 says "new hardware detected" but it can't identify it? I assume you've tried saying " I have my own driver " and pointing win98 at the driver CD that came with the card (or you say you don't know if that's been done? - in that case why the hell are you here?! Go and do that! [img]tongue.gif[/img] )? Otherwise, have you tried manually configuring it, selecting the brand etc. from a list or just selecting the generic wireless network adapter option?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-20-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Like I said, it's not my machine. I haven't even seen it, and I don't know what's been done or tried.

I got one phone call asking if I knew of a cheap copy of the 98SE upgrade that would "provide" some required thing. I'm trying to assist, with little knowledge of what's been done, in getting it loaded.

I'll get more info tomorrow, I suspect, and be able to identify what exactly has taken place. My question, to try to narrow it down without any of that other important information, is whether anyone is aware of anything that would prevent a straight Win98 environment from working with a wireless NIC.

Sounds like your answer is "no, I'm not" [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.