Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2002, 04:54 PM   #11
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I like Emulators because I got to play final fantasy 6 and most of the earlier ones, this would otherwise never happened. Only cought on after ff7.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:10 PM   #12
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

It is legal to download and play Emulator Roms, and play them even if you dont have the original, but only if you delete them off your computer after 24 hours of downloading them or so I have heard.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:29 PM   #13
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
So, it's only illegal to own a pirated copy? So if I bought a legal copy of a PSX game and then played it on my PC with an emulator that would be legal?

Yes because you're not really paying for the actual cartridge when you buy a console game, you are paying for the right to use it. Once you have paid for this right, the publishers don't care what format you use it in.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-13-2002, 08:36 PM   #14
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:

Yes because you're not really paying for the actual cartridge when you buy a console game, you are paying for the right to use it. Once you have paid for this right, the publishers don't care what format you use it in.

Wooooo! Anyone happen to have a copy of the PSX version of Chrono Trigger lying around that they're willing to sell?

(Can't find it anywhere near where I live and I lack a credit card to buy it online )
Old 02-13-2002, 09:00 PM   #15
DiabloRex
Elminster

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
It is legal to download and play Emulator Roms, and play them even if you dont have the original, but only if you delete them off your computer after 24 hours of downloading them or so I have heard.

heh, thats an old urban legend
Old 02-14-2002, 02:49 AM   #16
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

quote:
Originally posted by DiabloRex:

heh, thats an old urban legend

Actually DR, its not, at least not in the US. You can, under US Copyright Law, copy(i.e. download) any piece of software, music file, game file, whatever(Essentially, any file that is executable), and use it for 24 hours with no legal repurcussions, as long as you then delete it. I have a buddy who is a copyright lawyer. He told me so. [img]smile.gif[/img]

That was one of the sticking points of the whole Napster fiasco. It wasn't illegal for users to download the music, as long as they deleted it after 24 hours. Also, if you own, say, Metallica: Black, and download a copy of Through The Never, you can keep it as long as you like. Even though you didn't actually rip it from the source, you have the right to have an acrhived copy of your music.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 02-14-2002, 10:23 AM   #17
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

the emulator is not illegal rather the games you play are.

the 24 hour thing is not an urban legend it is correct. [img]smile.gif[/img]

you have to own the cartridge as everyone said

but then you wouldn't really mind. they won't be able to detect it unless you really want them to sue your butt but will probably not since it is already a game they already acquired millions out of... [img]smile.gif[/img]

so merry gaming [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2002, 10:25 AM   #18
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

OT: Nebster! You are a Dracolich now!!! Awesome, all that spamming finaly payed off
Old 02-14-2002, 10:38 AM   #19
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well to have a pirate emulator and game isn´t always illegal, the game itself is illegal but to own is no problem. When you spread it however is illegal and to play is illegal (read, lawyers love this laws I have heard..).

As a phenomenon the emulators are ilegal since thoose games are protected under copywright laws that is more or less worldwide. Some countries still don´t have copywright laws..

If you own the original game is no problem. You can also find some emulators that are legal cause no one owns the rights or the protection has gone out/or the owner have agreed to make it a free license.

All pirate software is however seen as an illegal one though! The laws are pretty strange around this subject.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 02-14-2002, 01:22 PM   #20
safyre246
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Anyone know where I can download emulaters for the Playstation and the Dreamcast? How about ROMS for these 2 systems? Thanks!! [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img]
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, but in strange aeons even death may die"- H.P. Lovecraft.
[img]graemlins/skeleton1.gif[/img]