Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2002, 02:13 AM   #1
jsteng
Dungeon Master

Other than the fact that INT is used for MUSIC skill, I dont see any use of INT for BARDS, yet I see on several 'BARD BUILD' info, INT is placed 2nd most important stats after DEX.

I think it is best to allocate DEX then SPD then VIT and INT for Bards.

any reason why?
jsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 02:54 AM   #2
ice3
Drow Warrior

It is also important for lockpicks (INT + DEX). Since a bard have nothing better to do then music you can help him lockpick things.

More then that it isn't, and the powercast isn't worth the investment. ;P
Old 02-04-2002, 03:08 AM   #3
BlackHand
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you want your bard to be a decent archer, go for DEX + SEN instead. You can't use music all the time, because it saps away stamina to fast, so you'll be better of having a secondary skill for your bard. Melee would also be a possible choice.
BlackHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:13 AM   #4
Merulus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I’m sure virtually every “Building a Bard” guide is going to vehemently disagree with me on this, but with my newest bard (playing through the second time), I made strength (maxed) and intelligence (up to 85) my priorities. I’m now working on speed and dexterity. A few reasons for this:

1) I hated the fact that my bard from my first game could only play two or three instruments before becoming exhausted. With a maxed out strength, my current bard can usually play as many as five or six instruments before passing out, making her much more useful.

2) The high intelligence (coupled with the fact she’s playing music twice as much now) means that her music, mythology, and communication skills really skyrocketed. I only put points in them until they reached about fifty or so. All three skills are now about eighty at level 12.

3) I’m toying with the idea of switching the bard over to a fighter (stamina regeneration) or samurai at level 18, so the high strength, speed, and dexterity (as well as the fact I’ve had plenty of spare skill points to put into skills like sword, shield, and power strike) should be very useful.

All in all, I’m much happier with this bard. My first bard (a classic dex/int/sens bard) was very useful, but really couldn’t contribute any melee damage, and she constantly needed someone to look after her and keep her stamina up. My current bard can play two or three songs, shoot an arrow or two, and still have the stamina to engage in melee. It’s also nice having a bard that can actually carry all of her own instruments. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Merulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 06:14 AM   #5
Pangur Ban

quote:
Originally posted by Merulus:

I’m toying with the idea of switching the bard over to a fighter (stamina regeneration) or samurai at level 18, so the high strength, speed, and dexterity (as well as the fact I’ve had plenty of spare skill points to put into skills like sword, shield, and power strike) should be very useful.

I would keep the bard, a bard !!
There are some VERY powerful musical instruments later in the game, and to use them with minimal risk of failure will need an Int of 95 !!

Bards can become excellent archers, and with a certain nice weapon later in the game my felpurr bard [img]graemlins/nicekitty.gif[/img] , ( who only has a Str of about 80 ) often does over 120 damage a hit.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:59 AM   #6
Merulus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:

I would keep the bard, a bard !!
There are some VERY powerful musical instruments later in the game, and to use them with minimal risk of failure will need an Int of 95 !!

Well, yes… But as I said, my bard already has an intelligence of 85 and a music skill in the 80s, at level 12. I think it’s pretty safe to say she will have both over a hundred by level 18 (with the help of a certain helm, of course).

With a skill of a hundred and 18 levels as a bard, you can play any instrument in the game. There doesn’t seem to be much point in leaving her a bard when she has nothing to look forward to. Especially when she already has all of the skills and attributes she needs to become an excellent fighter.

I do agree, however, that a bard can be an excellent archer if trained correctly. I’m running a very melee-heavy party at the moment, though, so I tend to just rush them rather than stick arrows in them from a distance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2002, 01:02 PM   #7
BlackHand
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I still don't think it's necessary for a bard to invest into INT. With the +5 fountain and a Prospero's Cloak, a very common bard-only item, every bard has 75 INT without spending a single point on INT. Add a Helm of Brilliance and it will be even 95. More than enough, that's for sure.
BlackHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 07:16 PM   #8
DraconisRex

Merlus, a person after my own heart. Thinking and trying new things. Even if they go against "conventional" wisdom. [img]smile.gif[/img]

My best bard, so far, has been a little gal whom I have pumped significant points into strength (to carry her instraments) and stamina (to play her instraments), besides the usual INT/DEX/SNS for musical/thief abilities. It spreads the points a might thin, but she's at level 10 and is seriously rocking in music. Now I put her points into lock picking and combat skills.

There have been some other benifits, too. Because she can toot her own horn more than once per combat and still leave the Bishop free to cast offensive/defensive spells in other places. Plus, now she can fight pretty darn well, use a shield and wear fairly heavy armor for a bard.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:25 PM   #9
jsteng
Dungeon Master

On the lighter side...

Can a Gadgeteer combine a Guitar with the Loudspeaker and high Voltage Amplier to come up with an Electric Guitar that can cast among other things Sonic Boom, Charm, Nausea, Paralysis, Hex, etc?

hehe... the components are there... [img]smile.gif[/img]
jsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 07:07 AM   #10
Merulus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by BlackHand:
...Prospero's Cloak, a very common bard-only item...

Hmm... I'll have to take your word for that... I've never seen one of these. My luck.

All in all, though, I think you're correct. There's no real need to have a high intelligence, though it can come in handy. Depends on what you want out of your bard, I suppose.

DraconisRex: Agreed. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've been doing a lot of experimenting (started yet another party last night... heh) and I've come to the conclusion that most people seriously underestimate the combat effectiveness of "rogue-type" classes.

With a good shield (and sufficient skill) a bard is a very effective front-line fighter. Also, a rogue who specializes in dual-weapons and stealth… Well… Let’s just say I’ll probably never go back to using a samurai in my melee-oriented parties again. (“You sometimes get critical strikes, eh? That’s nice. I do double damage with virtually every hit, get a huge bonus to my AC, and can dual-wield most swords and daggers. That’s right. Maybe you should sit down.”) And a gadgeteer is so much more useful than a ranger it’s not even funny. (“Nice bow, nature boy. Care to go up against my lightning-bolt omnigun and triple-shot crossbow? Didn’t think so. You scout, huh? Yeah, my x-ray scanner scouts through walls. Nice try, though. Did I mention I can cast practically unlimited asphyxiations…?”)

I haven’t had a chance to play around with the ninja, but that’s next on my list. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: Merulus ]