Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #11
SecretMaster
Apophis

I don't care how many servers they buy and how large they are. There will always be lag/population issues. Always. There is always go to be exceptional laziness and poor decision making. I really should stop my Blizzard-bashing but I've completely lost all faith in them for awhile.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #12
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I've had no major issues on Dalaran since they quit allowing new characters. Minor queue on high weekend traffic, minimal spawn on character load otherwise. Last night there was lag for like 2 mins, but not bad.

Well, except for the patch taking too long to DL.

Spirit Warrior had advice for me as far as letting my ISP know about the WoW download site so my patches would load faster, but now I can't find it. Spirit would you mind repeating it to me?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Not at all. I dug it out actually.

"It takes a bit to do it but trust me you will never go back.

Start by opening a dos window (hit run and type cmd) and typing ipconfig in the first line then hitting enter. You should get a list of IP addresses. The one that says default gateway is the one we want.

Type this number into a url space the same way you would type any url. So just type 192.xx.xxx.xx and hit enter. It should load a webpage for your ISP and it's personal settings on your network.

Find the firewall tab. Check to see if WoW is already added there by your ISP and open that port if it is. If not you will have to create it and it can vary how to do this depending on the ISP. The downloader requires that ports 3724 and 6112 be open. It can also benefit from having ports 6881 through 6999 open. If you can add these ports do so. If not, take a screen of your ISP's page and I can try figure it out with you since like I said, many differ."
Old 02-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

It DLed (20mb I think) in roughly 15-20mins for me. Really quickly, but I did it 5pm on patch day.

My server also stopped character creation, but being one of the two first (and main) roleplaying realms it still gets 100-300 queues on weeknights.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeh, it pisses me off when you wait an hr for a 300 queue, then it freezes on the loading your char. It DID do better last night, and I finally leveled to 47. woohoo! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I agree TDC, Update streaming SHOULD be the standard way for all MMRPGs.. And when they have a patch, somethines they have to reindex EVERY FILE in the game, which is like 100,000 files. so you see a counter, like 2013/30000 speeding by.. that is nuts. they have kinda fixed that to just index the update file now.. but yeh, updating should be behind the scenes.

It should be automatic by now.. having it be manually done can cause issues (As I know you know, knowing customer service). hehehe

They should have closed servers when they reached the limit, NOT the queue crap. this would have solved so many issues (anger, no need to add more powerful servers) just ADD more. Wee! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Aye. Blizz are behind the times are far as their updating process is concerned. Even the DLer is an awkward thing which should really be built into the game itself. I know what you mean about the indexing issue and that was indeed only fixed recently. I remember DLing like 10 mb and the indexing was the thing that took the longest. This ain't right.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #17
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I love Guild wars. I never have ever had to
wait to log on to the system of Monster
Mainframs they use that are all company owned
and operated around the globe and all linked
together with streaming going to all areas of
the world at the same time.
During the last Factions weekend there were
over 2,000,000 logged on at the same time with
no lag.
If everybody would get together and make an
issue of it to Blizzard maybe the would buy
the servers rather than sell server statis
to private citizens so that the private
servers can't flat cut owners of the game
out and block so called new owners of the game.
Streaming is the way of that all MMOs will be
going in the future in fact microsoft Games has
just anounced they will soon be releasing a
MMORPG with streaming and central company owned
servers with no monthly fee.

[ 02-10-2006, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 AM   #18
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

What about this new package thing i'm hearing about, expansion or something. Isn't that worth waiting for?

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

WOW had incredibly bad loot lag off an on yesterday on my server.