Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

Recent Wisdom From Newspaper Columnists

From a January "Parenting" column by John Rosemond in the Providence (R.I.) Journal: Reader: "I can't keep my 20-month-old daughter out of the dog's food. I've tried scolding, distracting, time-out, nothing has worked." Rosemond: "(F)rom a strictly nutritional standpoint (a nutritionist told me), most dog food is superior to the diets of many Americans." "(A pediatrician said) he has yet to see a child who suffered ill effects from eating dog food," except for chunk-type that might get stuck in the throat. [Providence Journal, 1-27-04]

From a February "Ask Dr. (Peter) Gott" column in the Herald News of suburban Chicago: Reader: "(M)y grandson ... told me that his fifth-grade teacher (a female) instructed the class that hand-washing (following urination in a public restroom) is unnecessary; urine is sterile." Dr. Gott: "Bless your grandson's teacher." "As a general rule, the urogenital area is cleaner than most other body parts are, and it need not be washed nor should hands be washed after urinating." "You and I, reader, are the products of our upbringing. It's time to make a change." [Herald News, 2-14-04]

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 04-20-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Skippy1
Elminster

Old 04-20-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

lol skippy!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

That is somehow funny... I think.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

LOL Skippy! And LOL @ "urine is sterile". LOL! The very reason we have to pee is because the body needs to get rid of chemicals which are TOXIC to it (as well as get rid of excess water). So yes, aside from the fact that urine contains chemicals that are toxic to the body, it is very sterile
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

damn, I haven't eaten my breakfast yet.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Well, the idea of something being sterile has nothing to do with its toxicity. Iodine is used to sterilize, but it's dangers if consumed and therefore considered toxic. If something is sterile it's simply free of various germs and bacteria.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 04-21-2004, 04:20 AM   #8
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

one should note that urine is only sterile to the person urinating it and not to others. it is still a biohazard. you dont wash your hands for your own benifit, you wash your hands so others can shake them without getting your urine on them.

but i dont know, maybe people are digging that kind of thing today...
Old 04-21-2004, 10:44 AM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Most people are careful enough not to pee on their own hands.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 04-21-2004, 11:56 AM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Well, the idea of something being sterile has nothing to do with its toxicity. Iodine is used to sterilize, but its danger is if consumed and therefore considered toxic. If something is sterile it's simply free of various germs and bacteria.
Yeah I realised that after I posted it, but couldn't be bothered to change it. Didn't expect there to be any smart-asses here

But as pointed out, your urine is still not good for others. Mainly, you should wash your hands after peeing not because you touched your genital area or because you peed on your hands (shouldn't really happen! ) but because you touched the toilet door handle or other areas of the toilet which people touch after wiping their ass etc and germs can get transferred onto surfaces etc. Just wash 'em ok!
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray