Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #21
Donut
Jack Burton

Australia's Federation Cup team face a tough fight to avoid joining their Davis Cup counterparts in isolation from the world group.

If the Aussie gals fail to beat Russia it will be the third year in successio that they have failed at the first hurdle.

Who would have thought that a country with such a rich history in tennis could fall so far?

[ 04-21-2004, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-21-2004, 09:20 AM   #22
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Gee willikers - how can you blame us about Zimbabwe??? We face the same pressure of expulsion from World cricket if we refuse that you do. I can't say that I am happy with our guys for capitulating either, but as far as I am aware the lobby that is enforcing the rules on both of us is heavily from the sub-continent and Africa. You might have an Australian or two high in the ICC, but the view being taken on Zimbabwe is a consensus view, and we know that the voting blocs see Australia and England as elitist for not wanting to go to Zimbabwe.

Had you said Australia has weakened the English grounds for opposition to the tour through the abject capitulation of its governing body I would see more there to agree with.

And what is wrong with Thorpey swimming in the Olympics - does something offend you about having to listen to our favourite ditty for another minute or two . I don't seem to recall that the selection of the Australian side has a "Donut must approve" clause. No Olympic rules have been broken - it is a case of Australian deciding amongst themselves who would best represent us. The only Olympic rule is that the national selection must have achieved at least a B qualifying time. I think as world record holder and defending world champion he has met the criteria.

BTW - nice way of making two posts of what was essentiall the same bait. No wonder you have skipped out to a 1000 post lead - I need to start dividing my answers like you divide your posts .
Old 04-21-2004, 09:25 AM   #23
Davros
Takhisis Follower

The Bladder report it thusly :
Quote:
Channel Seven offers to buy more gold medals
"Stevens - the first beneficiary of Seven's new scheme"
The Seven Network has offered more than 200 international athletes cash payments if they agree to step aside from their Olympic event.
Network spokesman Kerry Stoked denied that Seven was attempting to buy gold medals for Australian athletes.
“No, these are just deals to get exclusive interviews with athletes,” Stoked told thebladder.com. “If the athletes happen to announce their withdrawal from an event, making way for an Aussie to win gold, well, that’s just a coincidence. And yes, I grant you, some athletes will be paid handsomely for their interviews, others will be given jobs.”
The first athlete to benefit from the deal was swimmer Craig Stevens, who stood aside to allow Ian Thorpe to swim for gold in Athens.
Seven has been quiet on which other athletes have been offered money for “interviews”, but they are believed to be Kenyan marathon runners, the US basketball team, the Chinese gymnastics team and New Zealand’s formidable equestrian squad. It is believe the Chinese gymnastics team will take over the hosting duties for Sunrise as part of their deal.
Seven denied the move was an attempt to ensure high ratings for the Olympics by delivering gold medals to Australia. “That’s a pretty cynical attitude,” Stoked said. “These athletes are planning to stand aside anyway, we are just interested in being the first to report the news to the Australian viewing public. Sure, our sponsors stand to benefit, as do Seven’s shareholders, but that’s just the business of sport.
“If it’s ok by Juan Antonio, it’s ok by me,” he said. "Gold, gold, gold for Australia!"
Old 04-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #24
Skippy1
Elminster

I'm still sort of undecided on the Zimbabwe issue. I don't condone at all what Mugabe has and is doing, but can also see why after a couple of hundred years of colonialism had left vast tracts of the country owned by white people and the majority of the black population living in poverty. But by the same token, I hate politics being involved in sport. Imagine if we began playing politically correct sport. Every event would end in a draw!

MacGill is entitled to his opinion, and I applaud him for making his own stand and standing by his own morals. Each individual should be entitled to make up their own mind and act on their own descisions without fear of recrimination. I only hope for his sake that the ACB see it that way as well.

On England, I'm sure if they wanted bad enough to stop the tour they would. The ICC would cave in and let them off lightly in my opinion. Perhaps it's the ECB that lack the backbone to call time.

Would be a sadly lesser Olympics if the Thorpedo didn't compete. I'm sure most would agree that to be denied the chance due to a stupid technicality would be almost a criminal act.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #25
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
Would be a sadly lesser Olympics if the Thorpedo didn't compete.
He can compete - just not in the event that he fell over in!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-21-2004, 09:47 AM   #26
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
He can compete - just not in the event that he fell over in! [/QUOTE]I reiterate again to Mr Donut who wants to be our national selector - no olympic rules have been broken. It is for a national body to decide how it will provide its represention. And just so you know, no national rules will be broken either if Stevens decides to stands aside for his mate - the lawyers have already been over that with a fine tooth comb.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:50 AM   #27
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
He can compete - just not in the event that he fell over in! [/QUOTE]The Mighty Donut has spoken! So be it most highest one!
Old 04-22-2004, 05:32 AM   #28
wellard
Dracolisk

Looks to see if anyone has taken the bait.....

Noooop

Casts the line back in and waits [img]smile.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-22-2004, 06:22 AM   #29
Donut
Jack Burton

Why does he bother to enter the trials if it doesn't matter where he finishes. A complete waste of effort really!

Does he fancy entering the gymnastics as well?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #30
Davros
Takhisis Follower

LOL - this Thorpedo thing - you sound as bitter as a Man U fan complaining that it's not fair that another team has someone as good as TH14 playing on their side .

The only person with a legitimate gripe about not winning that gold medal is Grant Hackett - sowassamatta - you still get to listen to my favourite ditty anyways .