Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Straight from the Aussie guide to sportsmanship!

Tut,tut, tut!

Defeated Hann displays his ugly side again
By Phil Yates

IT WAS not the gentlemanly handshake normally seen at the conclusion of a match at the Crucible. After losing 10-4 to Andy Hicks in the first round of the Embassy World Snooker Championship yesterday, Quinten Hann childishly confronted his conqueror and challenged him to a fight.

“You’re short, you’re bald. You always will be and you can have me outside whenever you want,” Hann, a 26-year-old Australian with a petulant streak as wide as the Tasman Sea, said. Cue extensions were even raised but Lawrie Annandale, the referee, stepped between the two.

Hann was annoyed that Hicks, a Devonian who normally steers clear of controversy, had goaded him by sneering: “You’re not in the top 16 next year now.” In fact, Hann will remain a member of that elite group, barring a series of unlikely results in the remainder of the championship.

Hicks admitted that perhaps he had gone too far but, earlier, Hann had walked back to his chair, turned to him and said: “I really enjoyed the last three times I’ve beaten you.”

The first hint that trouble was brewing came at the conclusion of frame 11 when, unhappy at having missed an academic black on an 85 break, Hann was warned by Annandale for profanity. A World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association spokesman said that a report on his swearing at the table is to be sent to the disciplinary committee.

Hann, also warned by another referee, Colin Brinded, for an audible obscenity during his opening-match defeat in the recent Players Championship, has courted controversy throughout his career. As a junior he was banned for two years by the Australian governing body for a series of misdemeanours that included spitting on an opponent’s mother. That suspension was lifted by the Australian Supreme Court.

At the 1998 Irish Open, Hann was playing Stephen Lee, missed a pot and decided enough was enough, even though 13 reds were left on the table.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-19-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

It's hardly a patch on "bodyline" me ole china .
Old 04-19-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
Skippy1
Elminster

Hann was annoyed that Hicks, a Devonian who normally steers clear of controversy, had goaded him by sneering: “You’re not in the top 16 next year now.” In fact, Hann will remain a member of that elite group, barring a series of unlikely results in the remainder of the championship.

Also a very good example of winning gracefully.

As for the swearing, you poms are simply too prudish. Your problem, not ours. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyhow! It's Snooker! You need something to keep the audience awake!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
A catch! and he even perpetuates the longest whine in sporting history!!!

What about bowling underarm?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-19-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Surely no one would do that would they ? If I was captain, I wouldn't even ask you to do that, and you're my brother
Old 04-20-2004, 04:38 AM   #6
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Surely no one would do that would they ? If I was captain, I wouldn't even ask you to do that, and you're my brother
[/QUOTE]T'was all within the rules of the game at the time. Anyway, it was only the Kiwi's!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:30 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]T'was all within the rules of the game at the time. Anyway, it was only the Kiwi's!
[/QUOTE]If you read the rules of cricket they speak of playing within the "spirit" of the game!

BTW Lanesra - that's very deep for you, two layered humour!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:35 AM   #8
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]If you read the rules of cricket they speak of playing within the "spirit" of the game!

BTW Lanesra - that's very deep for you, two layered humour!
[/QUOTE]Fair enough, if that's the case then, I refer you back to Davros's original reply.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:10 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Geesh - have you guys never heard that it is bad form to nest quotes. In fact it is lower than Douglas Jardine's concern for the spirit of the game. YES - really really as low as that .
Old 04-20-2004, 08:40 AM   #10
Skippy1
Elminster

Apologies Davros! Won't happen again, promise!