Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #11
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:

Ermmm... you *do* have the IDE cable plugged into the back of it as well, right?
course I do! [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Just asking

Never hurts to rule out the obvious. I've been bitten in the past by not realizing I'd loosened the IDE cable enough to be considered unplugged...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #12
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
quote:

Ermmm... you *do* have the IDE cable plugged into the back of it as well, right?
course I do! [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Just asking

Never hurts to rule out the obvious. I've been bitten in the past by not realizing I'd loosened the IDE cable enough to be considered unplugged...
[/QUOTE]actually, he's quite right. computer help desks report that sixty percent of computer problems are user errors such as not plugged in, not turning on the power, not using properly. I remember one report where an old guy called in to report that his computers cup holder had broken and he wanted a new one since it was still under warranty. cup holder you ask? yes, he was using his DVD/CD-R drive as a cup holder and the tray snapped off under the weight.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:54 PM   #13
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ok update. It was actually set as slave without any jumpers. But I managed to get a hold of some jumpers through another ZIP drive and set it to master. Nothing happened though! There are also settings for master A and Slave A or something like that, should I try that?
Old 04-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #14
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Just tried with it set to Master A, still no joy, running out of options for jumpering here. Only Slave A (although the IDE cable is coming straight off of the motherboard so shouldn't it be a master?) and theres also that Cable select, but you need to purchase cables for that (thanks for the link Bungleau)

So any other good ideas?

remember the IDE cable is connected straight to the motherboard, that should tell you something.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #15
andrewas
Harper

Im starting to think its a dead drive, you should get some sign of life if you plug a drive into a IDE channel set as master and with nothing else on the same channel.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #16
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

try it with cable select

i dont think the jumper is the problem, and if the drive lights up when you put something in, im not sure its a dead drive either... let me think on it.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, back to basics:

1. How many devices are on this cable?

2. What are they?

3. Where are they plugged in?

4. How are they all jumpered?

Lights indicate that power is working, which is good. They don't indicate anything about connection.

Ermmmm... you did plug the IDE cable in correctly, didn't you? Red stripe towards power? I think they make it impossible to put 'em in backwards these days, but ya never know...

Next option I've got is to take something from the other IDE cable and swap it over to this one. It may have to be rejumpered to be a master, but see what's going on. And then try the ZIP drive on the other cable.

Next step is to sacrifice a Macintosh, so you may need to get ready for that one...
-+-+-+
Old 04-20-2004, 04:20 AM   #18
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

it is working, cos it came out of another computer.

1.only the ZIP, the IDE cable goes straight to the mobo
2. none
3.look above
4.doesnt apply
Old 04-20-2004, 09:51 AM   #19
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If it's the only thing on the cable, it should either be jumpered as a master or left unjumpered. The docs should tell, but in no case should it be a slave.

On the off-change that you might have a cable-select cable, have you tried it in both connectors?

Next option, as I said, would be to swap something else in to make sure the cable is working fine.

You might also unplug the cable (from the mobo and the drive) and plug it back in. I've been nailed by loose connections before.

You might also need to check the BIOS and make sure the second IDE channel hasn't been disabled or something.
-+-+-+
Old 04-20-2004, 11:58 AM   #20
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I think the channel might be disabled because in the Iomega website it says to do this so that windows will recognize it, but I tried it with it enabled I think and no change, Il try again though. Il also try the other suggestions. I dont know if its cable select, how would I know?