Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
livinglibrary1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ok i have the game and i have been trying it for twenty minutes.
i am gonna wait until next week or so to play it again because the game is full of bugs, and i have read that there is a patch coming.

bugs i have encountered:

1. no music during the game, only speech and sounds
2. i cannot change the appearance of any character (only race and class)
3. the main menu doesnīt appear at full screen
4. i cannot access the map

and i have just played it for 20 minutes.

Appart from that, and i am sorry to say this, i think this is not the kind of game i am gonna play for too long, although i would like to try it again when this bugs are fixed.

In case any of this bugs are not so and itīs just that i am doing something wrong iīd like to know, but if someone has the game and has the same bugs i have or has different ones id also like to know.

thanks LL
livinglibrary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, livinglibrary1!!!

Sorry to hear that you've encountered a number of bugs. I was a bit concerned about that possibility myself after trying the demo. Hopefully they'll have a patch out soon that will resolve the problems!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
livinglibrary1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i am sorry to say i have found another one and this one was not in the demo, the double up arrow to roll does not work, and the combinations jump+left and jump+right donīt work.
ok this is beggininig to remember me of pool of radiance release
Old 05-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
WSBoaBoa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Its rather sad, but from what I have been reading around the internet it seems many have been finding rather big issues with the release. They even have a patch being pushed out in a week and the games only been out 1-2 days!

I was hoping D.W. would have cleaned up the demo more so by now then to release a rather buggy / feature lacking game, by all looks seems like a rather big pickle they are putting them selves in.

Well seems I will be holding off on this until I see a full version to test out. And developers then wonder why people copy games after crap is off loaded onto consumers...
WSBoaBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
the mighty stamar

You know the only one that bothers me is the map one.

I remember arx fatalis came out without a automap too but i think thats important. I just hate getting lost in mazes. Even wizards and warriors had an automap.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:41 AM   #6
livinglibrary1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ok the double arrow to roll and the combo movements work ok, itīs just that you need level 2 athletics to have it, but the other bugs are confirmed as i have read in some forums of DL.
it seems that they are gonna fix the appearance and main menu bugs but there is nothing about the map and music issues, and there are a hell of a lot of different bug reports.
ok rpgs are in crisis, the games are losing the features we like of them (such as group of characters and turn based combats) some of them are not released everywhere (in my country, spain, wizardry 8 was not released) and to help with this situation now they sell alphas instead of completely developed and tested games.
i think we are witness of the end of and era, rpgs are going the same way that adventure games and flight simulators.
if the company which is gonna release HOMM 5, decides for example doing a real time game i think i will loss the little faith i have of going back to the golden age of RPGs.
and to think i have started playing wizards and warriors in 2005 because i had so many good rpgs that i didnīt have time before.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
jsalsb
Elminster

I think there might be some hope for the map 'bug' yet! Just like you discovered that you needed athletics 2 to do the double arrow move, you may yet discover that you need some higher skill to use the mapping!

An earlier DWB game, Wizardry 7, required that you first find the map kit, then develop at least rudimentary mapping skills in order to use it. Then, as your skills increased, the detail of your mapping increased.

As for the music... could be an incompatibility with your hardware or drivers or codecs... (I never turn the music on anyway!).

Or... you could be right and they're all bugs [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
livinglibrary1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

no i have checked dungeon lords official site forum and the map, the music and a lot of other bugs are confirmed.
the problem is that the amount of bugs confirmed is unbelievable and a lot of patches would be neccessary to fix all of them if possible
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
scaryogre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yep...the game is a mess. Obviously was pushed out the door far, far too early. In fact, many are drawing comparisons to Pool of Radiance and Temple of Elemental Evil. It really IS that bad folks.

We are talking not only bugs, but FEATURES in the game and manual that simply do NOT work at all! For example, there are buttons for actions when creating characters that simply do not work, etc.

I would love to support this game and I love DW Bradley's style, but this is a classic example of a publisher pushing for release of a (barely) BETA-condition product. I'd actually say this isn't even beta quality...

Very sad really...because there is potential.

[ 05-09-2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: scaryogre ]
Old 05-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #10
jsalsb
Elminster

Wow! I just looked... 4 pages of tech support threads already on the dreamcatcher forum. Almost all threads about bugs! I really think I'm going to wait a bit on this one (very disappointed!!)

/*edit: and I was upset that heuristic parc wasn't answering my email about adapter compatibility! now I see why. I guess they're a bit busy...! */

[ 05-09-2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: jsalsb ]