Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 01:28 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I am referring to a drive I took today through a part of Williamsburg that I've never been through before. Actually that's not true. I drove on the BQE under a bridge that only had HASSIDIC JEWS walking on it last week.

So today, I drove through the local neighbourhood.

It was like stepping into either a time machine, or another world. In only a few blocks, every person was dressed in Hassid clothing. Men, women.

I'd heard of enclaves containing various peoples before. Mini cultures within a culture. Thus far, I'd only really seen leanings towards particular groups. Like the Ukrainians in the south, or the Greeks and Colombians of Astoria. Or the Jewish communities on the upper west, or lower east sides.

But this was full on. No mexicans, no blacks, no hispanics, no whites, only Hassidic Jews.

It's quite an interesting phenomena - the Jewish community, and the New York hosting of such communities. The vast majority of men all had glasses..... why? They really do look very different to other people. Not just in clothing, or even noses, but in other indescribable ways. Not sure what it is.....

But that is the intent also is it not? The Hassids want to mark themselves out as different right?

It made me want to try and hang out with them to understand them a little more. But they're so closed. I can't get smiles from the women whose eyes I meet (did I just admit that??).

Anyway... no point to all this. Just expressing something I'd never seen before, despite being here 3 years. I have of course seen many Hassids strolling around (in full black coats in the middle of summer too mind you), but as I said, not like this.

Does anyone here like Jewish food? I'm particularly fond of the wines they have. The cheap Kosher wines. [img]smile.gif[/img] Yum.

I'm also reading a book on Jewish philosphy. As a Christian I've found the insights of Jewish thinkers to be particularly helpful and insightful in my faith and my walk. Same Elohim after all. Anyhow this book, by Guttman, is quite good. Made me look at my own approach to philosophy with a new angle. Increased my understanding of self.

See ya....

H

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 04-23-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
Donut
Jack Burton

We have areas in London like that. It must be great going shopping for clothes:

Would Sir like the black, the black or the black?
I'll take the black, apparently black is the new black!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-23-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

http://www.hughwilson.com