Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2001, 11:47 PM   #1
hailitho
The Magister

Can a caster weild a sword? At creation all I see is pole weapons... I read or heard something where I should train everyone in swords as they are the best and its what you get the best in loot... do casters wiz's priests etc ever get to use them coz that skill is not in creation. Thanks!
hailitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 11:55 PM   #2
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

As priests, wizards and warlocks, they are forbidden to use swords. (Who is forbidding them and why do my characters listen?) However, once they change to another type of charcter, such as samuri, zen master, or Paladin, they can use all the weapons they want and cast all the magic they learned as a priest, wizard or warlock. Once your character learns enough spells, there is no reason to keep them limited to a warlock.

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 11:58 PM   #3
hailitho
The Magister

Ok as a priest or wizard well just take both cases.. as a caster in general will I even want to train staff for wiz and mace for priest or will I just want to put all my points into spells? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:29 AM   #4
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

There is really only one reason to put any points into pole/staff skill. Towards the end of the game you can find the Staff of Death and later charge this with the Black Fire. It will be one of only two weapons that can hurt Cet. (Or Anephes if you decide to side with Cet.) I would think about one spell caster that will become a fighter and perhaps put some points in to staff. A Witch Stick, properly blessed, can be be helpful. But for the most part, there is little or no point in developing ax, mace, or pole/staff skills.

There are a couple of good maces, Battle Mace +2 and Mace of Mangling, but they don't show up until the end of the game. I wouldn't put much into mace skills for the priest. And there are still better swords.

There is one other exception. At the end of the game, you can find a Lance of the Lady which only Valkyries can use. It is more powerful than just about any other staff weapon and I believe that it is one handed too. If you do start a second game with a Valkyrie, that might be useful.

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:38 AM   #5
Moni

On an added note, Warlock's can used the Wizard's Blade (A dagger, and a mighty fine dagger even unblessed!)

P.S. Personally, I had my Wizard/Warlock using stick weapons until I found the Wizard's Blade, when he wasn't casting offensive spells of course, and my Priest/Zenmaster used a Mace right through to the end of the game. What you train them in and have them use though is certainly up to you.

Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 12:41 AM   #6
hailitho
The Magister

Should I ignore that swords for everyone? Coz I just went to the armory with my rogue and most of the swords are restricted... with a rogue you would think dagger and that is what I am just thinking of doing.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:43 AM   #7
Moni

I do think my Rogue used a dagger or a bow, depending on enemy distance.
There are also some handy throwing weapons throughout the game so you might want to focus on his/her throwing skills now and then too.

Moni
Old 05-04-2001, 12:48 AM   #8
hailitho
The Magister

this game makes you think too much even just at creation =P
Old 05-04-2001, 12:56 AM   #9
Moni

LOL That is one of the things I like about it!
Wiz 8 will probably be even more detailed and "thought necessary".
I am really looking forward to it.

Have you played any of the Wizardry games?

Moni
Old 05-04-2001, 01:12 AM   #10
hailitho
The Magister

Yup I played UO for about 4 years.