Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well have you? Tell us about it LOL!

I almost drowned once in the ocean when I was 15. My parent and I went to Nagshead, North Carolina, and I got caught up in the undertow (which I didn't even know about at the time). My dad can't swim and my mom is, big. So I waved to them to show I was drowning LOL, but I knew I couldn't count on either one of them to help me in my particular situation LOL. I just remember having fun jumping waves, and walking further and further out, the water actually got shallower the farther along I got! At one point the water was just above my knees (I'm only 5' tall btw), but the waves were really big that far out! It was really a blast jumping them! Eventually, I remember jumping a wave and coming down to no bottom, I struggeled trying to swim back to the shallow for a good 15 minutes but I was getting further and further from the shallow no matter how much I swam towards it,, waves were crashing down on my head too, slamming me underwater. A guy came along finally with a raft, he basically saved my life, as I was a gonner no doubt....

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-17-2003, 11:21 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
One time, when i was driving a motorcycle. I wasn't really paying attention when i was crossing a road. A car came from my left at high speed. It was late at night so it was dark. I remember staring into his headlights, while he was honking his horn. I thought i'd had it, but somehow the driver managed to turn his wheels, still at full speed, passed me by a few inches, spinned around a few times, and came to a stop. It's a miracle that both me and the driver of the car came out unharmed. I sometimes relive that moment in my dreams, it still gives me the shivers.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:25 PM   #3
Charlie
Lord Ao

I must say I had a close call last October. Me and two mates went out to test the boat out and do some water skiing. I've never done it before but fancied I'd be good at it. Anyway, we're out to sea and it's fairly cold. My mate's lending me a wetsuit and I'm assured it'll keep me warm. Well I strip off and struggle into the wetsuit. I'm right up for this skiing caper and I'm just about to dive straight in, my mate shouts out.."Charlie, put on a lifesaver". I do so and jump straight in.

The cold takes my breath clean away, I'm shivering my nuts off. Anyway, I'm a tryer. I get my skis on but I've got absolutely no control of my movements, the skis lifting my legs, the choppy sea rolling me over and over,. taking mouthfuls of water and gasping for breath. Every so often I can see my two mates cracking up laughing, I'm exhausted now, have absolutely no strength left, the skis have floated off and my mate pulls the boat up and drops the ladder. I can't get up, not enough strength. It took both mates and all I had left to get back onboard.

The wetsuit, although tight, was too big and had filled with water. The water sloshing in the suit meant I couldn't control my movements. I've thought about this incident so often since then, it makes me shudder every time. As it happens the boat broke down and Rye Harbour Coastguard had to tow us in. We were in water 35 feet deep.

If I'd have jumped in like I was going to, I'd have sunk like a stone. I just thank my lucky stars my mate said....."Charlie, put on a lifesaver".
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 05-17-2003, 11:31 PM   #4
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Yes When I was in Viet Nam The Helicopter I was flying in was shot down. Well I should say it was blown out of the sky by a SAM(surface to air)missle I don't remember anything except a bright flash. I woke up three days later in a MILITARY HOSPITAL the doctor said I died on the way in and that a Corman revived Me. To this day I have never found out The name of the guy that saved my life. I was back in the states a month later. The really funny part is that The Helicopter I was in was taking me to a base to go home because my tour of Duty in Nam was over and I ended up spending 30 extra days there in a hospital. One last thing they never found anybody else that was on that flight with me and all 11 of the other men on that flight are still M.I.A. somebody up there likes me !!
Old 05-17-2003, 11:49 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

One day, longer ago than most of you have been alive, I thought I'd had enough of this world, and prepared to die. I got really drunk, ate all of my favorite foods, stuck the pistol in my mouth, pulled the trigger and ...nothing. The hammer was on an empty chamber. I put the gun down, went to bed, and never, NEVER have thought of trying it, again. I always said, after that, I looked into the Abyss, once, and something looked back. Glad It did. Thank you, Lord.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:52 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

How old are you Crimsonblade?

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-17-2003, 11:55 PM   #7
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Last year my family and I were on our way back from a 3 day trip in Mammoth (skiing), and my dad asked if I wanted to drive-this was back when I had my permit. Anyway, sun sets, and it's night, round 7 maybe, and we're in the middle of a desert on a 1 lane highway. There's this big-rig 18 wheeler in front of me going 60, and i was doing 65/70, so i check the lines-yep, broken yellow, good to pass. What I failed to notice was that as soon as I crossed over the broken yellow turned into solid double yellow, cause of a hill. Well, we're about 3/4 past the truck when I see headlights. Me being my stupid self, instead of breaking and getting back behind the truck, I gun it to see if I can beat the oncoming car. Big mistake. Would have been a head on collision if the other car hadn't swerved off the road.

Well, thats the closest I've come to death. Friends are scared to drive with me now, even though I've learned my lesson about passing at night [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2003, 11:57 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

When I was on the force, I responded to a robbery in progress at a convenience store. The guy robbing the store had knocked out the clerk and put on his uniform. I should've waited for backup, but instead I entered the store upon which "the clerk" pointed towards the back door, telling me the suspect had fled. I secured my weapon and used my radio to call dispatch. As soon as I picked up my radio, the clerk pulled a .44 and put one round into my neck and another into my shoulder. Kind of a strange feeling at first, not much pain, but I remember thinking "Holy f**k, I've just been shot."

[ 05-17-2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 05-18-2003, 12:24 AM   #9
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

ok, this is going to be a long tale, because the last 10 years has been te strangest for me,lol i told of one encounter lastnight in the cafe but here goes

On september the 13...friday.....1996 I had a miscarriage that caused me to lose to muc blood, so they put mein the hospital to try and stop it took them along time to get it stop, but I was going to have to wait on a D&C basicly where they would remove the baby for 3 days, but had to go to ER to have it donethe next day, then 2 years later, I became pregnant again with son, I went into laborwith him early, at 24 weeks, had an emergency C-section and they found I had a huge infection wrapped around my uterus causing it not to grow anyore, which in turn caused my water to break, but my smart dactor decided I did not ave an infection and sent me home with a drain tube still in my side i saw him 3 more times before he decided to put me back in the hospital, to prove i was faking it, I could not even stand up anymore, he then found that I had a staph infection, and treated it for 2 weeks, and was going to send me home again, but found te the staph infection was still there, so he waited anoter 2 weeks, by tis time i ad been in the hospital for almost a month, he decided to call in another doctor to find out what was wrong, I was running a 105 temp the whole time i was in the hospital, my husband was frightened because i was not even aware of my surroundings anymore, the new doctor sentme to have a ct scan done, and they tried to put a tube in the infection that lasted 1 hour with no anistiesia i felt everything, and screamed the whole time, my husband said he could hear me in the hall and had to fight coming in there, the next day they operated because te infection had spread so far and had formed ashell around its self that a 3 hour surgery turned into 10 hours, then tey had to leave the wound open and pack it everyday, that lasted another 2 months, I went home in october, went back to work in december, and in january a tornado distroyed where i worked, while i was cooking, and then i few months later, we were driving back from a checkup, and it was pouring down rain, we cam to a sttep hill on the freeway and lost control, i freaked out and screamed, almost causing my husband tolose complete control of the car. well I think that is enough remembering te horros for now [img]tongue.gif[/img] any questions????
Old 05-18-2003, 03:38 AM   #10
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

I almost drowned in a friend's pool when I was about 12 (?) - I didn't really know how to swim at the time, I usually stood in the shallow end - then we got this idea where the friend would go underwater and I would stand on his back while I went more to the deep side - of course I forgot he couldn't stay underwater forever, so he had to come up, and I went down, but I bobbed up a few times and managed to grab the edge of the pool...

Then last March I got into a car crash - straight into the side of a passing car at 35 mph - totalled my car, I still have some back and neck pain, but I easily could have snapped my neck, as the airbag didn't deploy on my side because I hit at an angle...

This wasn't really near-death, but it felt like it - in Dec 2000 I had an attack of pleurisy, of all things; lung lining was inflamed, but it felt like I was having a heart attack and I really thought I might die that night - but I felt more bummed for my relatives who were concerned about me...

I've pretty much had enough of this world since 1985, I still think about suicide to some extent almost daily, but I keep putting it off [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] - I'm going to die anyway, so until that day I decided I'll just while away the time by either doing something helpful for some others, who for some reason are NOT sick of this world, or doing something interesting for myself - and in any event my life insurance frowns on suicide and won't pay off any relatives if I do that, so there... (not to mention the mess a dead body can make [img]tongue.gif[/img] )