Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2003, 01:29 AM   #1
Amnomoa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just started this so we can share/ask about character, how other people have thiers setup, how they are equiped, if they work well or not etc.

I'll start off with my assassin

STR 18
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 11

singling wielding katana and two weapon style short bow.
hes great for backstabbing and can get in there with the action of stay back with his bow. His poison and traps and handy also. I rate him 7/10, good solid character.
Amnomoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:13 AM   #2
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

You wasted two stat points. 18 con is useless on an Assassin. Also, you are going to have a hard time using much needed protection scrolls with such low scores in int and wis. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:17 AM   #3
Amnomoa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yeh thanx, i think i'll restart (i still haven't finished BG2 yet) what is a good and fun class to play for single player with a party of hmm, 4,5 or 6? tell me equipment too please
Old 01-27-2003, 02:57 AM   #4
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well for the first time through the game, I highly recommend either a Paladin, a Ranger, or a Cleric.

It's really hard to go wrong with those classes. The most powerful weapons in the game are created for those classes. Any of them are powerful enough to pull a party through the game with out much effort, allowing you to really learn the ins and outs of the game system. All of them provide healing, buffing, and muscle, something you need when you apply brute force to plow through the game, as most folks do the first time. When you know the system better and what to do and when to do it, it becomes much easier.

These three classes are rather hard to screw up with. They allow lots of room for making mistakes. Other classes, like say, Mages or Sorcerers, have a steep learning curve with the spell system. Sorcerers in particular. Powerful, yes, but, quite a bit more powerful once you know what you are doing.

Pick a kit that looks good. A plain old Ranger works fine actually. Most of the Ranger kits have some restrictions or take some knowledge to apply properly. Archers are fine, but, it's learning good tactics that takes some effort. Stalkers are a good learning kit. Like a thief, only a bit more forgiving when mistakes are made.

Thieves are fine, but, hold quite a learning curve to live up to full potential, leaving lots of folks feeling frusterated and getting bored. This is true of all classes really, but, some classes are a bit easier then others to get a feel for. While you are busy trying to concentrate on what to do with your character in a particular situation, the rest of your party is getting slaughtered. I see quite a bit of this actually [img]smile.gif[/img] reading these boards.

Turn on the AI scripts for a while and watch what your party does. For your mages, try the Defensive Mage script. See what they do, what they cast, and get an idea of how they work. Turn on the Defensive Cleric script, and, see what works. Watch what they cast to prepare for battle. For a Druid, try the Offensive/Defensive script. The scripts are not perfect, but, they actually provide a good bit of learning on what to do. Expand from there.

As for Paladins, try the Paladin script. Almost any Paladin, even a poorly rolled one, can easily tow a party through the game. Give a Ranger a bow and try the Ranged script, and, watch enemies fall quickly.

Weapons are always a personal choice really. What works for one person, does not always work for others. That said, get the Flail of Ages as soon as possible and get somebody with some skill in flails. It will make your life so much easier.

Experiment! It's really hard to go wrong.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:12 AM   #5
Amnomoa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

when playign Bard (i'm going for the skald) where should i put my points for STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
Old 01-27-2003, 03:48 AM   #6
Amnomoa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

acually i'll take your advice; i'll be a ranger, maybe stalker [img]smile.gif[/img]