Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The following was lifted...er, "borrowed" from:
http://www.ravenshadow.com/KLR650/site_index.html

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
  1. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
  2. Leather and studs make it too hard to raise arm.
  3. Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
  4. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
  5. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
  6. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
  7. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
  8. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
  9. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
  10. They're jealous that after spending $30,000, they still don't own a Gold Wing.
Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
  1. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
  2. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
  3. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
  4. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
  5. The espresso machine just finished.
  6. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
  7. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
  8. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
  9. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
  10. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
  1. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
  2. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
  3. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
  4. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
  5. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
  6. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
  7. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
  8. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
  9. One handed wheelies are not easy.
  10. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.
Top Ten Reasons Why Sport Bike Riders Don't Wave Back
  1. They have not been riding long enough to know they are supposed to.
  2. If they took one hand off the bars they would break their teeth.
  3. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars.
  4. It's hard to put their hand in the air doing 175.
  5. Their skin tight-kevlar-balistic-nylon-goose-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
  6. One handed stoppies are ill advised.
  7. They are waving, but you can't see it behind the neon green speed screen.
  8. They were slipping their flip-flop back on.
  9. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
  10. They don't know how.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Well, personally, I weave at everyone.

I see another bike coming at me in the other lane, I weave at it. I see a car, I weave at it. Occasionally, I am so sober that I'll be scared to weave at a semi-truck, but usually I'm either drunk or stoned enough that I don't care, so I weave at them too. I admit, when I first heard that it was a tradition for motorcyclists to weave at each other, I thought it was kind of nuts. I was a new rider and weaving at all was kind of a challenge. But I wanted to be a good biker, so I did it. Sure, I laid the bike down a few times at first, but I got the hang of it. Then, after doing it successfully a few times and seeing the looks on the other riders faces -- well you can tell they are impressed and it really is a blast! At first, they sometimes look like they aren't going to weave too, but don't go thinking they're being unfriendly. I've learned that what they are really doing is seeing how good you are at this weaving thing. If they don't weave, you show them you know what you're doing and keep weaving right at them. If you do it right, they will always weave too, sometimes right at the last second. After I found out how much fun it was, I couldn't resist spreading the practice to cars, trucks, bicycles and even pedestrians. People love it! They beep their horns, they yell, they give you all kinds of waves. Sometimes they even turn around and follow you for awhile, which is when you show 'em what you've got and lose 'em. Then turn off on a side street and wait for 'em. When they catch up, pull out and weave at 'em again. They'll beep and wave with just as much excitement as they did the first time! Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference. But I highly recommend weaving at least at other bikes, if not at everyone you see. I promise if you do this you'll meet new people and be the talk of your neighborhood in no time.

I remember the first time I tried weaving at someone. I was on the way to work (yeeccchh!!) and weaved at a garbage truck right off. The guy must've been a biker, cause he weaved right back at me. That gave me some more practice with the weave, too, cuz the guy hanging off the side of the truck was so impressed by our weaves that he momentarily forgot where he was, and fell off the truck! And I did a kinda "reverse-weave" and weaved AWAY from him (I know that's not the right way to do it, but he was a pretty big fella, and I didn't think I could make it over him). He must have hurt his hand in the fall, or something, cause when he waved at me to compliment me on my weave, he didn't manage to get all his fingers extended.

I rode on, and pretty soon had a chance to impress a pedestrian with the biker's weave (TM). He responded by making funny faces at me. I guess he thought I should have washed my bike, tho, cause I think I heard him say something like "muddy feller".

About halfway to work, I met a group of about 4 cages and weaved right at them. Boy! were they ever impressed. They commenced to return my weave, all at the same time! Must be a lot of bikers around here. Funny thing, though. One of them must've not been a biker, cause he weaved the wrong way. That guy must have sure pissed off the other three, too, cause there was sure a lot of bent sheetmetal from that one guys bad weave!

Man, this was fun! I weaved at a bicycle rider later on. Hell, he at least had the right number of wheels, right? He weaved too, and raised his fist in salute to my perfectly executed biker's weave (TM). I weaved at a dog, too. One of those little yap-yap rat-dogs, though, instead of a real dog. I even added a new touch to the weave... I goosed the throttle a little. Little dogs must not like loud pipes- the little shit nearly jumped out of his skin!

I was having a blast demonstrating the biker's weave (TM) to any and all. I even weaved at a State Trooper later that day! He was really impressed. But you know those guys... he didn't weave back. But he did turn around and follow me. When he caught up, I got to explain the biker's weave (TM) to him- it's history and uses and everything! Man, was he impressed with my knowledge of biker customs! He liked the whole story so much that he asked me to follow him. I got to tell all about the weave to the Magistrate, too! Well, the Magistrate liked it so good that he made me an appointment to tell the whole story about the biker's weave (TM) to some Judge somewhere. I think they're planning to make the biker's weave official, or something....

Well, that's all for today. I gotta go practice that weave some more, so I can have it pretty well perfected when I get to show-and-tell for whoever that Judge guy is.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by VulcanRider:
Well, personally, I weave at everyone.

I see another bike coming at me in the other lane, I weave at it. I see a car, I weave at it. Occasionally, I am so sober that I'll be scared to weave at a semi-truck, but usually I'm either drunk or stoned enough that I don't care, so I weave at them too. I admit, when I first heard that it was a tradition for motorcyclists to weave at each other, I thought it was kind of nuts. I was a new rider and weaving at all was kind of a challenge. But I wanted to be a good biker, so I did it. Sure, I laid the bike down a few times at first, but I got the hang of it. Then, after doing it successfully a few times and seeing the looks on the other riders faces -- well you can tell they are impressed and it really is a blast! At first, they sometimes look like they aren't going to weave too, but don't go thinking they're being unfriendly. I've learned that what they are really doing is seeing how good you are at this weaving thing. If they don't weave, you show them you know what you're doing and keep weaving right at them. If you do it right, they will always weave too, sometimes right at the last second. After I found out how much fun it was, I couldn't resist spreading the practice to cars, trucks, bicycles and even pedestrians. People love it! They beep their horns, they yell, they give you all kinds of waves. Sometimes they even turn around and follow you for awhile, which is when you show 'em what you've got and lose 'em. Then turn off on a side street and wait for 'em. When they catch up, pull out and weave at 'em again. They'll beep and wave with just as much excitement as they did the first time! Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference. But I highly recommend weaving at least at other bikes, if not at everyone you see. I promise if you do this you'll meet new people and be the talk of your neighborhood in no time.

I remember the first time I tried weaving at someone. I was on the way to work (yeeccchh!!) and weaved at a garbage truck right off. The guy must've been a biker, cause he weaved right back at me. That gave me some more practice with the weave, too, cuz the guy hanging off the side of the truck was so impressed by our weaves that he momentarily forgot where he was, and fell off the truck! And I did a kinda "reverse-weave" and weaved AWAY from him (I know that's not the right way to do it, but he was a pretty big fella, and I didn't think I could make it over him). He must have hurt his hand in the fall, or something, cause when he waved at me to compliment me on my weave, he didn't manage to get all his fingers extended.

I rode on, and pretty soon had a chance to impress a pedestrian with the biker's weave (TM). He responded by making funny faces at me. I guess he thought I should have washed my bike, tho, cause I think I heard him say something like "muddy feller".

About halfway to work, I met a group of about 4 cages and weaved right at them. Boy! were they ever impressed. They commenced to return my weave, all at the same time! Must be a lot of bikers around here. Funny thing, though. One of them must've not been a biker, cause he weaved the wrong way. That guy must have sure pissed off the other three, too, cause there was sure a lot of bent sheetmetal from that one guys bad weave!

Man, this was fun! I weaved at a bicycle rider later on. Hell, he at least had the right number of wheels, right? He weaved too, and raised his fist in salute to my perfectly executed biker's weave (TM). I weaved at a dog, too. One of those little yap-yap rat-dogs, though, instead of a real dog. I even added a new touch to the weave... I goosed the throttle a little. Little dogs must not like loud pipes- the little shit nearly jumped out of his skin!

I was having a blast demonstrating the biker's weave (TM) to any and all. I even weaved at a State Trooper later that day! He was really impressed. But you know those guys... he didn't weave back. But he did turn around and follow me. When he caught up, I got to explain the biker's weave (TM) to him- it's history and uses and everything! Man, was he impressed with my knowledge of biker customs! He liked the whole story so much that he asked me to follow him. I got to tell all about the weave to the Magistrate, too! Well, the Magistrate liked it so good that he made me an appointment to tell the whole story about the biker's weave (TM) to some Judge somewhere. I think they're planning to make the biker's weave official, or something....

Well, that's all for today. I gotta go practice that weave some more, so I can have it pretty well perfected when I get to show-and-tell for whoever that Judge guy is.
Amazing. It's even word for word.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Weaving, waving... what's the difference...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Both of these have been making the rounds of motorcycle forums for years. My copy of The Weave is 3 years old at least.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
What about Vespas?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Cute I will have to send this to my HD riding father. [img]smile.gif[/img]