Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2002, 10:00 PM   #1
espeed
Dungeon Master

I have a lvl 5 Wizard and lvl 5 Sorcerer. I want to subclass one of them to cleric so I can start healing my guys without havig to rest for 50 days!!!!

4 questions here:

1. Im thinking of subclassing the wizard because I believe the sorcerer will have much more of an arsenal in later levels so I will keep the sorceress pure, am I right here??

2. If I subclass the wizard to cleric will I still be able to put levels on "Wizard" later on when I have enough healing powers??

3. I am up to the orc fortress in chapter 1, and hevent yet met someone who sells heal/restoration scrolls, am I to impatient??

4. Is time really an issure in this game, because 50 days seems far to long to rest my party back to full strength, just seems im wasting alot of time resting. Cant wait till I subclass to cleric [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanx for all replies

[ 09-23-2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: espeed ]
espeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 10:20 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

A comment about the multi-classing...I just learned this myself yesterday from the game manual that if you are multi-classing...you will be penalized 20% XP if your classes are in difference in level of 2 or more levels. You might should read up on all the perticulars of that befoer you make a sudden change. My recommendation, at least.

As for number "2"...yes...you can toggle between the two as you like.
As for number "3"...you may have missed a person. If I am wrong, then do not fret...the second person you meet in chapter 2 sells clerical stuff, as well as the third...I am pretty sure. Both are women, in chapter 2.
As for number "4"...Time really does not mean anything. The game will not change if you took longer than others. It is just for realism feel...but has no penalties except for when you have to wait 24 hours for a sword to be made, or wait until night to go talk to phantoms...that is when time holds weight.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:14 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

Larry_OHF, this is only true if one of the 2 classes is not the race's favored class.

For example, an elven wizard could multiclass to, say, a rogue without penalty, since wizard is an elf's "favored class". However, if that elven elven wizard/rogue wants to multiclass in a level of cleric, then you could start getting into trouble.

Read the paragraph entitled "Races and Multiclass XP" on page 56 of the manual for details.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:50 PM   #4
espeed
Dungeon Master

Thanks alot....i have read the manual and it made me aware of the 20% XP sting, but seeing my Wizard is elven I guess that makes me void of the 20% hit when subclassing to cleric <== true??

Has anyone an answer for no. 1

thanx
Old 09-23-2002, 01:58 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Originally posted by Espeed:

Quote:
1. Im thinking of subclassing the wizard because I believe the sorcerer will have much more of an arsenal in later levels so I will keep the sorceress pure, am I right here??
If your talking spells then the answer is yes your Sorcerer will have quite a large amount of them in later levels. Since Sorcerers do not get to choose their spells they are given are larger quantity to compensate for the lack of selection. But.. by multiclassing a sorcerer you wont lose out on anything. You are simply choosing to level-up with another class.
For example if you multi-class a Sorcerer to a Rogue, you have decided to put the Sorcerer on hold and use your extra level to master thief abilities - you can allocate your Sorcerer one level of the Rogue class and then return to work on your Sorcerer, even if you never want to progress his or her Rogue class again.
So.....theres no real issue of purity simply, time. If you multiclass you basically fall one level behind, as that level has gone to a different class.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:57 PM   #6
espeed
Dungeon Master

Thanks for all your answers, 2 more questions if you wouldnt mind:

1. What about availability of cleric spells. If I have a lvl 5 wizard and I lvl up once on cleric, do I still only have the ability to memorize lvl 1 cleric spells. Im assuming that I would have much more free memory slots because im a lvl 6 character.

2. What about with the sorcerer, if doing the same thing with the sorcerer, im assuming getting access to good healing spells would be more difficult due to the limit in spell selection when compared to the wizard, but I will had ample more free slots when compared to the wizard.

Basically what I want form these questions are peoples opinions on which of the two you think would be best suited to a cleric sublass. I need access to a good range of healing spells.

Thanx for all answers.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:12 PM   #7
Alaric
Manshoon

Either one. Unlike the Wizard or the Sorcerer, a Cleric does not have to find a scroll and write the scroll into his spellbook. A Cleric is given access to all the spells available for his level and can choose which ones to memorize. So a first level Cleric can memorize any fist level Clerical spell.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 09:24 PM   #8
espeed
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaric:
Either one. Unlike the Wizard or the Sorcerer, a Cleric does not have to find a scroll and write the scroll into his spellbook. A Cleric is given access to all the spells available for his level and can choose which ones to memorize. So a first level Cleric can memorize any fist level Clerical spell.
I think you may have your wires crossed, a sorcerer does not need to memorize spells and Im assuming the cleric needs scrolls to learn much like the wizard, I have not played the cleric under 3E rules so I may be wrong here.

Anyway I am deciding to start the game again with a cleric as I want to have a high level cleric early on.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:27 AM   #9
Case00
Manshoon

A cleric has never needed scrolls (at least since 1st edition when I started playing) to learn spells. His/her spells are god given upon level ups (assuming you have just gained access to a new level of spell casting).

A sorcerer is a hybrid of the two. The sorcerer does not need to choose spells before resting.. if they can cast 5 level one spells, it doesn't matter how they cast them (5 magic missile, 5 sleeps, 3 missiles and 2 sleeps, etc). However, their spell selection is quite limited since they can only choose new spells upon a level up, as compared to a mage or wizard who can learn a new spell whenever they come across a scroll with a spell they have never seen before.

[ 09-24-2002, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Case00 ]
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:40 AM   #10
ratchild
Manshoon

It's definitely a good choice to start over fresh, with a cleric in your party. you won't get far in combat w/o one. multiclassing a wizard or sorc with cleric also isn't a very good idea, as they don't have similar stat requirements. you want multiclass characters' stats to complement each class, so say, a sorcerer/bard, as they both require charisma, or a Thief/wizard, as they both benefit from high Dex and Int. A good cleric dual class might be with a druid, perhaps a monk, or maybe even fighter if you want him up in the fighting. hope that helps some