Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 08:36 PM   #31
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Great post Mel! I feel understood...

but can anyone actually explain the
Sean Combs = Sean "Puffy" Combs = Puff Daddy = P.Diddy ??

Is there a rational explaination or do we just blame it on drugs and guns and stuff?
Thanks! Again I think it's a great thread!! The title had me in stitches [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

As for P. Diddy, which has GOT to be the most ridiculous artist's name EVER, let's blame it on the drugs and guns and stuff... I can't think of any other possible explanation
Old 09-18-2002, 08:41 PM   #32
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I wonder if he got his name from the old Depression era song, "Diddy-waw-diddy." I think "Prince" is sillier, though.
Btw, Melusine, I thought that you were against single word and smiley posts. Enlighten me, please. [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 08:54 PM   #33
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Melusine, you do know I meant this post

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Baaaaah
not this one:

Quote:
LOL Leonis, great thread mate! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I do agree with you, the sampling and recycling is really bad these days! It happens sooo often that I hear a rap song I think I know, only to note subtle differences in lyrics or beat and finding out that they just recycled the main tune. Same for all those rappers recycling old pop songs. Really fed up with that [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
Very funny list you'd compiled there! Yeah, it's weird when they have like 3 different 'featurings'in that list. I wonder why it is that so many people in that genre just keep putting out singles with everybody else. In proper bands, you see far less of such cooperation - usually when a famous musician plays with another band it's because he left the previous band
So on the one hand you could make a case for the high sociality of rappers, seeing how they all work together like one big group, but on the other hand I'm cynic enough to suspect they're just looking for ways to make even more cash with even less interesting songs.

However, I also absolutely agree with you that there can be found something good in any musical style. People going "ooh it's all crap these days, the only good music was made in the (fill in any pre-90s decade)".... well....
That attitude decidely annoys me, firstly because I am pretty sure they haven't got a clue what they're talking about since they assume that all modern music is like the stuff you hear in the Top 100 and secondly, because it's fine to prefer to listen to older music, just don't be so pedantic to say all modern stuff is crap. Be wise enough to recognise it's just a matter of taste. Heck, I don't listen to the Stones or the Beatles but I wouldn't even dare to *think* they are crap. I'm aware of my limitations and it might very well be the case that I simply can't *understand* their genius.
I listen to classical music almost exclusively sometimes, doesn't mean I go around saying all modern pop music is crap. There is a lot of musical genius in the world today.
[img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Don't you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 11:52 PM   #34
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
[QB]I'm all for collaboration but song credits are getting like movie credits. Check out number 5 - Down 4 U - By Irv Gotti Presents blah balh blah...???
QB]
That is indeed downright ridiculous.

Leonis, did I tell you I had the dubious honour of being barred entry into P.Diddy's studio? I was dropping off a CD to a co-writer friend of mine who doing a vocal for him at his studio. There was no way I was going to be let in the building though, so I had to leave it with the huge bouncer. Is that my new claim to fame!?

-------------------------------------

Now, to those who dissed modern music - it's a bit rough to say all modern music is CRAP. What about the mountains of brilliant work you are not allowed to hear because of "cultural superiority complex" (if you're in America) or "slavish devotion to American trends syndrom" (if you're in anywhere other than America)?

Don't blame the musicians/writers. Blame the system.

There are mountains of brilliant CDs 'no-one' will hear because of the way things are.

I honestly think music today is exceptional. Contemporary recordings are now better recorded, more diverse, influenced by a larger variety of societies, and exceptionally visionary. I get somewhat frustrated with older music at times.

But if you want good music you have to KNOW WHERE TO LOOK! Don't go waiting for the radio to spoon feed you. That's what babies do. There's no excuse in this day and age, not to be able to find some new music that excites you.

Oh yes. And it may take more than one listen to UNDERSTAND this new music.

Do we really believe that the social commentaries made by your parents generation are the only word on human existence? Are the melodies of yesteryear the ultimate way 12 notes can be arranged?

Bollocks.

Excuses, excuses all. SHAME ON YOU GUYS. (Except for Leonis who has a snotfilled, dry, pus-crusted rotting pea for a frontal lobe)

[ 09-18-2002, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 09-18-2002, 11:57 PM   #35
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:

As for P. Diddy, which has GOT to be the most ridiculous artist's name EVER, let's blame it on the drugs and guns and stuff... I can't think of any other possible explanation
What about "The Artist formerly known as 'The Artist formerly known as 'Prince.''"

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 09-19-2002, 12:18 AM   #36
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Hey Yorick! Good to see you again! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Your right, as far as the equiment to record with is the best its ever been. But that doesnt make the music and titles anyless ridiculas. Just my point of view.

I might have asked you this once, cant remember, but I recently got a new compurter so of course I lost all my files off the old one, witch had you songs on it. Is there anyway you could get them to me again? Thanks.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 09-19-2002, 12:25 AM   #37
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
That is indeed downright ridiculous.

Leonis, did I tell you I had the dubious honour of being barred entry into P.Diddy's studio? I was dropping off a CD to a co-writer friend of mine who doing a vocal for him at his studio. There was no way I was going to be let in the building though, so I had to leave it with the huge bouncer. Is that my new claim to fame!?

-------------------------------------

Now, to those who dissed modern music - it's a bit rough to say all modern music is CRAP. What about the mountains of brilliant work you are not allowed to hear because of "cultural superiority complex" (if you're in America) or "slavish devotion to American trends syndrom" (if you're in anywhere other than America)?

There are mountains of brilliant CDs 'no-one' will hear because of the way things are.

I honestly think music today is exceptional. Contemporary recordings are now better recorded, more diverse, influenced by a larger variety of societies, and exceptionally visionary. I get somewhat frustrated with older music at times.

But if you want good music you have to KNOW WHERE TO LOOK! Don't go waiting for the radio to spoon feed you. That's what babies do. There's no excuse in this day and age, not to be able to find some new music that excites you.

Do we really believe that the social commentaries made by your parents generation are the only word on human existence? Are the melodies of yesteryear the ultimate way 12 notes can be arranged?

Bollocks.

Excuses, excuses all. SHAME ON YOU GUYS. (Except for Leonis who has a snotfilled, dry, pus-crusted rotting pea for a frontal lobe)
You Sir, are a pox upon hughmanity.

At least it's a change, normally it's him getting kicked out of places...
[img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 09-19-2002, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 09-19-2002, 06:37 AM   #38
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
What about "The Artist formerly known as 'The Artist formerly known as 'Prince.''"
LOL, I was waiting for someone to bring that up! Well yes, that is nearly as bad! But then again... "Huge Willy"?? Now what kind of moronic name is THAT??

Attalus: [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Leonis: [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2002, 06:49 AM   #39
Grojlach
Zartan

[quote]Originally posted by Yorick:
Quote:
[QB]

Bollocks.
I agree fullheartedly, Yorick. But weren't you someone who actually liked Puddle of Mudd? Just checking, can't recall if it was you or someone else... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] As I normally see them a good example of why billboard rockmusic comes down to recycling the same old rock/grunge clichés ad infinitum. Creed and Nickelback ditto.

[ 09-19-2002, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 09-19-2002, 08:32 AM   #40
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:

I, sir, feel all the shame that the situation warrants. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I am sure that your own music is great, but when you talk about spending a lot of effort wading through mountains of dreck like "rap," P.Diddy, and "the Glyph," as "Prince" was known as for a while, to find a few jewels, I'm afraid that I lack the time and energy. As well as the inclination. People who like new music, like you, seem to be driven to do those things, but, not me. I already know where a few jewels are, and that's enough for me.

Melisine: [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]