Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 06:59 AM   #11
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Rugby, the game they play in heaven - like Baseball???? I think your friend must have meant Cricket is like Baseball (well at least they are both bat and ball games).

How to explain Rugby to someone from the states (I think I will take up the challenge). Rugby is like Gridiron, played with a football, much more continuous, you only get one down to play with, so the ball is thrown about a lot. If the defence (sorry, I'll do the Americam descripion DEEEEEEEfence) stops the progress of the ball, everyone piles in on top to get it (like one of your fumbles). Whoever comes out with the ball gets to start their "one down" all over again.

And the important thing - The World Champions are The Australian Wallabies!!!!!

Davr takes a break, having no cross contaminated the cricket thread with Rugby talk

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 07:45 AM   #12
Bristowe
Elminster

Hey Davros, Rugby's also played without any of that prancy 'armour' that the griddies use

------------------
Bristowe, Master Assassin
"Everyone dies sooner or later, why not sooner?"
Old 06-15-2001, 07:54 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bristowe:
Hey Davros, Rugby's also played without any of that prancy 'armour' that the griddies use

Nah, don't need any of that bollocks.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 10:34 AM   #14
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

To be fair... "American Football" (I'm also a fan of that) is a completely different game to Rugby - the "armour" is required - just check the fatality rates before it was introduced (and serious injury rates in the modern game).

Just wish they'd find a better name for it...

Also I believe that Rugby is the fastest growing sport stateside. I think the years of "investment heavy" sports (have you seen the cost of football or ice-hockey armour?) is heralding a move to other sports which require no more than a bit of grass and a ball (children's "soccer"). For some reason women's Rugby is especially popular...
Old 06-17-2001, 01:13 PM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

A bit of an unusual result in the England vs. Pakistan game just finished. England at 155 have conceded the match to Pakistan, who were at 4/154 with 8 wickets in hand and just over 10 overs remaining, because of a ground invasion by hordes of Pakistani (and English) supporters at Headingley. A ground marshall was hurt and stretchered off in the flurry. I think it's the first time I've ever heard of a game being conceded, but I guess due to safety reasons it was the best option.

A bit sad, really. (and no, I'm not talking about England's performance - for a change. ) They need to do something about these pitch invasions. The players (especially the Pakistani players) had to run a gauntlet of hundreds of rabid fans jostling and grappling with them. Security was nowhere to be seen.

------------------
Old 06-17-2001, 06:04 PM   #16
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I have to hand it to em, the're inventive those English. They keep coming up with new ways to lose

------------------