Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2003, 10:05 AM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

Wooohooo! I beat Knights of the Old Republic, Bioware's new fantastic roleplaying adventure. I spent approximately 30 hours (in game), about twice the time real time) playing it and all I can say is: WOW!!
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
The storyline is just brilliant! The moment where you find out that you are in fact Revan is weaved into the storyline brilliantly! The ending was a little bit corny, with the medals and all, but nonetheless satisfactory. The game was never really hard (only the last fights in the Star Forge itself against the hordes of Dark Jedi's was a little tough) but I had loads of fun playing it.

I did try all the swoop races, managed to win Manaan, but didn't do Tatooine fully, as well as the championship race on Taris. I *think* I did almost all quests, missed one or two, but I was level 18 at the end of the game. Malak was doable in the end, the butload of those red healing packets (Life Support Packs?) helped a lot. Bastila, on the other hand was pretty hard (according to Gamebanshee) but Stasis Field made her a sitting duck [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hands down to Bioware for delivering another superb roleplaying experience. I'm gonna play the dark side next, not taking Carth and Bastila with me this time. They were my party members during the entire game. Jolee sucked IMHO (died too quickly), I never really got the hang of demolition use (setting traps and all), so Mission and Zaalbar were a no-go either. Canderous was pretty decent, but I liked Carth better. Juhani was ugly-looking and had an irritating soundset (IMHO). The little droid would've been useful in computer use, but I never really took him, and the big droid (who was yours apparently) was pretty funny (much like Lilarcor in BG2: "I would much rather see this end in a blood-bath, master" when walkin in the Sandpeople enclave).

There were a couple of enemies who were supposed to be hard, but turned out to be easy (I mentioned dark Bastila before), but Darth Bandon was a big laugh, as well as Calo Nord. Sheesh.. those guys were *too* easy!! I had more difficulties with the Rancor in the beginning!!

If you don't have it: go and buy it!! NOW!!!!

[ 12-15-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Link ]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:29 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

CONGRATULATIONS! I have it but it is still waiting for me to install it.

*Ducks before Link starts to throw roten tomatos*
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 05:41 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

What kind of game KoTOR is? RPG or Action game?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:03 PM   #4
GForce

it's a real-time sorta turn based RPG slash third person action. Just a smattering of gamestyle IMO.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I found it a bit more tough, but not too tough. Some of the puzzles were rough -- many people destroyed the Koltor (is that the name?) on Manaan and found themselves banned, unable to complete the "secret society" quest. The trial on Manaan was rough -- and figuring out how not to destroy the koltor was rough. You can negotiate with the Sand People without just killing them all -- especially if you're an environmentalist.

Jolee rocks. You owe it to yourself to play a scoundrel/consular and just see how you can win the game without ever taking out your lightsaber.

And, you didn't mention the hands-down funniest character -- HK47. Can we go kill something now, master? Meatbags rock!

Oh, and you want hard? Try taking on Malak without Throw Lightsaber or another power that will let you kill the jedi "battery cells" from a distance, because he recharges at them -- one recharge for each. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Did you succeed in the romance? You can take her as an apprentice if you go dark side, y'know.

All in all, I thought the storyline was excellent, very engrossing, but that the game has little replay value.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:47 AM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

IMO the game isn't very tough, as long as you made the right decisions and building up your character accordingly.

I beat the game with my 8/12 Solder-Sentinel. Since I played on the light side, I chose to destroyed the koltor harvester instead of killing the giant shark. So, I was able to finish all the sub-quests in Manaan.

Anyway, the secret of beating Darth Malak is to use plenty of Life Support Pack. At the end of the game, I had over 100+ med kits, 90+ Adv med kits and 30+ Life Support packs.

A minor spoiler, if you are playing on the light side:

1. a level before facing Bastila, there is a machine which can generate custom Jedi Robe, use it. It grants you +8 Def and +5 wisdom (I think)... Sorry, lightside only.

2. After obtaining all the Star Maps, heads to Yavin for one last time and you will be able to buy two very special lightsabre crystals. One of them costs 20K credits and the other one about 25K. Since this is the last chance for you for some last minute shopping, sell all your hordes (blasters, armors and etc) and get these two cool crystals. They are worth the price. Mind you that this is only available for PC version only. I don't know if Dark Jedis would be able to use these crystals...

3. If you are good in persuasion and if you kissed (or told her that you are attracted to her earlier), you can turn her back to the lightside again. I did that and asked her to use her battle meditation to aid the Republic against Malak.

Now I am playing with a 4/xx Scout-Sentinel... a bit weak on the combat side but I have more skill points during leveling ups.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:32 AM   #7
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Congrats Link! (What took you so long? )

Now play evil, the ending will be much more satisfactory, as does your playing experience. Man, does Bastila look hot in those Dark Jedi Master Robes!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 10:20 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Yeah well, I did most things you guys mentioned.

Timber: I see I put it in a cryptic way, but I thought Bastila was WAY TOO easy (with the help of Stasis Field, that is) and Malak was somewhat harder, but doable nonetheless. The first time I tried him I fried most of the captured Jedi with Destroy Droid, but I hadn't seen the two on top of the walkway. So he managed to get them as well, AND managed to kill me with a lucky critical when I was trying to use a Life Support Pack. The second time he went down though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
As for the kolto (that's what it's called): I managed to do the good way in one try, although I don't really remember how I accomplished that. I saved the kolto however, so that was satisfactory. In my evil game I will probably poison the entire area [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]
HK-47 (I forgot his name) is pretty funny yes. I did mention him in my first post though (as "the droid who was yours eventually" -- he was yours when you were Revan). His 'meatbag' comments and aggressive nature were a fun thing though. I will definitely take him through with me next time.

Paladin2000: I got that fancy robe thing (which looked kinda stupid on me, but who cares ) and I knew I should've travelled to the Yavin space station before going to the Star Forge, but I never did. Ah well.. I did find the Solari crystal which, according to its description, was supposed to be uber-powerful. Teehee.. he never stood a chance, that Malak-guy
And you can kiss Bastila? I was doing the light side on my first try, so I never really pushed my luck. I did get the dialogue where you say "I knew you were staring at me" and she responds saying "I was NOT staring! You're the most arrogant, unattractive man I ever met!" That was fun! If I could've kissed her, I would've surely done so. She did tell me she loved me in the battle with her (and I loved her too, duh!). She went on ahead aiding the republic fleet with her Battle Meditation while I was fighting Malak, so she did her share in the victory after all.

Zuvio What took me so long? I finished the game in little over a week's time! That's shorter than Baldur's Gate 2 & Throne of Bhaal (took me like 6 months in total) and Morrowind (isn't even finished). Even the Frozen Throne took me longer!! And Bastila looks even hotter when you undress her (too bad she's still wearing SOME clothes though )
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:32 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yes, you can kiss Bastilla. Or, you could have -- before I got to her. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 02:24 PM   #10
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

Congrats Link! (What took you so long? )

Now play evil, the ending will be much more satisfactory, as does your playing experience. Man, does Bastila look hot in those Dark Jedi Master Robes!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I am tempted to try playing as a Dark Jedi, but that means that I would have to forgo two of the most useful Jedi companions and not being able to use those cool stat boosting equipments. Bioware should give more of those cool equipments for the Dark Jedis as well.