Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2001, 02:02 AM   #1
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

I couldn't help but notice on one of Cloudy's threads a lot of people said they loved holidaying in Ireland.

My favourite place in the whole world is West Clare - more specifically a region known as the Burren. I love this place for several reasons.

The first is the scenery - there are the most specatular landcapes in limestone pavement, the land looks like it has been made out of giant building blocks. The breakers roll in all the way from the deep North Atlantic, and when there are storms they break on the cliffs in amazing displays of power. The clouds pass quickly high over head and their shadows make dancing patterns over the hills and sea. You can climb a hill and not see another living human being for miles.

The second reason is the land is steeped in history. There are standing stones, wedge tombs and dolmens everywhere. Unlike many of the sites in England most of these go largely unvisited and still retain an aura of power. Iron and bronze age forts are easily found and medieval chapels and castles dot the landsacpe as well. Saddest of all are the ruins of villages emptied by famine and emigration.

The last reason and prbably the strongest is the music. The was the home of the revival of tradiional Irish music and is still a mecca for world class musicians who visit from every land you can think of. Many, many professional and semiprofessional musicians live around here and the pub sessions are literally the best in the world. This is where I learned to put my heart and soul into my singing, and where I learned the confidence that allows me to do it.

I would love to hear why Ireland appeals to you.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-17-2001, 02:19 AM   #2
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

RIVERDANCE!!!.....no wait thats why I hate it. Ireland contributed the best part of braveheart STEVEN "god says he can get me out of this but hes pretty sure yout f****d"

------------------

BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
Old 06-17-2001, 04:26 AM   #3
Krede
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Y we Ireland?!

Ehm, i really dunno...

"Do We Love Ireland" the Q shoud have been

About RIVERDANCE: I dident now what Riverdance was untill i saw "Big Brother - Denmark". There was a wierd guy that promised a girlfriend to dance Riverdance on her birthsday - And that what waas he did

------------------
Krede

Old 06-17-2001, 06:25 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

I already posted my reasons for liking Ireland in Cloudbringer's thread...
But the area's I like a lot are Co.'s Mayo, Galway, Connemara and Clare. Yes, I do know the Burren and it is indeed a very beautiful place...it looks a bit like a moon-landscape, but all the flowers make it very soft-looking at the same time. I also loved the view from Croagh Patrick, and my favorite spot is a bed & breakfast which I'm not going to name where I am somewhat of a returning visitor... great people, beautiful surroundings, the sea and rocky coast at 10 metres from the garden, and making music in the pub at night with the neighbourhood people... it's heaven on earth.
Oh I also enjoyed my trip to Clare Island and Achillbeg Island...

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-17-2001, 06:29 AM   #5
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
RIVERDANCE!!!.....no wait thats why I hate it. Ireland contributed the best part of braveheart STEVEN "god says he can get me out of this but hes pretty sure yout f****d"

You took the words right outa my mouth
And it hurt you bastard!!

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go. For all this theres only one thing you should know....."
Old 06-17-2001, 08:56 AM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Why? - let's see :

1) Portmarnock
2) Royal county Down
3) Portstewart
4) Royal Portrush
5) Lahinch
6) Ballybunion
7) Tralee
8) Waterville
9) Killarney (Killeen course)
10) Old Head of Kinsale

There you go - 10 reasons, and the're all golf courses. I will be playing the last 5 on the list again this year .

So apart from the obvious reason, we also have :

1) A wee drop o the good stuff (Bushmills Black label)
2) Fantastic pubs with fiddle de dee music
3) The Chandler Shop (a song - now Davr's party piece - a clapping audience participation song)
4) The friendly people that make you welcome
5) "It's a fine soft day we're havin t'day" (meaning - that's not rain, it's just a wee drizzle ya big Jessie)
6) The extremely friendly Irish lasses - I'll be there soon Debbie
7) County Kerry - when the Irish tell jokes about stupidity, they don't make Irish jokes, they use the Kerrymen as the central characters
8) Singing songs like "Rare old times" and It's a long long way from Clare to here" in them friendly pubs
9) Everyone singing the Irish National Anthem at closing time
10) On some golf courses they put distances on water sprinklers to show how far it is to the green - one course I played had a special message on sprinklers for people who think they can reach the green from a very long way away - instead of the distance, it just says "Dream On".

Ah, it's only a joke .

------------------
Old 06-17-2001, 09:49 AM   #7
Gaelic
Elminster

I've never been, but that's where my ancestors are from. That's why I'm a fan of the place.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-17-2001, 05:48 PM   #8
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Funny that Lahinch gets a mention but not Doolin. I suppose Doolin pubs are very crowded and full of tourists - but not if you are a musician, and a friend of the publican and all the regular musicians.

I am lucky cos I always get a really good seat

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-17-2001, 05:55 PM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I had a lay over in Dublin for about 4 hours and hit the Guiness Pub in the airport, does that count

I would love to visit Ireland one day. My 'ex-in-laws?!?!?' go there 4 times a year (mother-in-law was born and raised in Dublin) and they always invite us(me) but have never had the chance to go

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?