Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

After reading this, I wanted to share a few thoughts on it.

CNN, Duncan Trial

This is a man who was already on the run from the law because of a child molestation charge, and the report mentions that this man had spent most of his adult life behind bars for child sex offences. So much for rehab. In fact, I read in my psychology book today that behavior psychs. will argue that going to jail for an offence is not very effective in crime deterrant because the jail time is so far removed from the offensive event in time. Usually, to improve behavior, an immediate, almost instantaneous response would have to occur...but that is beside the point, nor is it possible. Oh well.

Anyway, this report says that the man, Duncan, on the run from the law already, happened to pass by this house and to his delight saw two children in bathing suits, playing. This is all it took to turn him on to the idea of doing a crime. He stalked-out the enviroment to learn what he could learn, and then attacked, killing the parents, abducting the boy and girl, and then raping them over seven weeks, getting tired of the boy at one point and killing him. As fortune would have it, the little girl was recognized at a stop to eat one night and therefore saved when authorities came in to get them.

This brings up some interesting thoughts. For example, some people would say that as long as they do not put themselves in dangerous enviroments, they will remain safe...but the reality is that being chosen as a victim in a crime is nothing like the lottery, because to win the lottery, one must intentionally buy a ticket and place one's self in a situation to win. To be a victim does not involve doing anything to attract the attention from a criminal, period. People who believe in a just world are the ones to blame the children for being in sight of the public in their swim wear, or blaming their parents for not owning a gun to shoot the perpetrator, or whatever. People who know that this world is full of unfortunate events that will strike anybody at anytime with no provocation are the ones to understand the reality that we can try to stay safe and keep our children safe...but in the end, its not in our power to decide how things will come out and so just hope for the best.

Another thought on this case involves the latter paragraphs.

Quote:
The earlier plea bargain request included an offer to give investigators access to encrypted files in Duncan's computer, which are thought to contain graphic evidence of his crimes.

Experts have yet to unlock the files and Duncan, a computer expert, has bragged that the encryption protection he used is so strong that it will take authorities three decades to crack it.

What's the problem here? Don't let the authorities try to unlock those files...they are incompetant. Pay some teenager off the street to do it. Everybody's a haxor these days. Sheesh. This guy's bragging to the police that he's too smart for them. Well...I am sure this guy's got it coming to him once the underworld hears about it; just get one hacker pro that detests this man's actions (against using the dark-side, if you will) and we'll see those files opened up easy-cheesy.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
After reading this, I wanted to share a few thoughts on it.
Wow, what a truly truly odious and sick man Hope he gets the chair. *kzzzt*

Very sobering

Were your thoughts basically that we shouldn't restrict the lives of our children unecessarily due to the fact that the protection we can give them only extends so far?

Quote:
What's the problem here? Don't let the authorities try to unlock those files...they are incompetant. Pay some teenager off the street to do it.
Unfortunately, if he's encrypted the files well, there's little that can be done. Modern computer encryption is certainly not to be taken lightly and is one reason why the US banned its export for so long.

Assuming he's used a modern and complicated encryption scheme, usually the only way around it relies on sloppy execution by the criminal, like not encrypting every partition, or intercepting decrypted data when the computer is in use.

To be honest though, if he knows what he's doing, they don't have a hope of getting at the files in the near/medium term, which is why they're willing to plea bargain for it.

[ 10-16-2006, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
If I might pose a question, perhaps a lawyer might be able to answer this, but... Why on earth would the exchange of these files be part of a plea bargain? I'm picturing the smoke-filled room at three in the morning, here... "These files would really help us convict him at trial and put him away forever. Unfortunately, they're encrypted."
" ::pounds fist on table:: I'VE GOT IT! Let's plea bargain him down in exchange for the files! Then we can, uh... Well, we'll know for sure he did it. Never mind the fact that he'd go to jail anyway if he gave them to us."

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If they really want to get the files open, just announce it as a competition on the internet. I'll contribute towards the prize if it hastens this @%^$@#^$@%^'s death.

Every so often, events transpire that help you understand the value of a lynch mob...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, Shamrock...I guess I do not understand as much as I thought I did about encrypting. However, Bungleau...I hope you're right that its as easy as asking the right person to do it.
Illumina, yeah...me and the wife were talking tonight about plea bargaining. I read in my book that sometimes attorneys will bargain if they have doubt about the strength of their case or if they want a favor from the opposing lawyer at a future time. There's another reason but I do not want to go get the book. I hate bargaining schemes. Its just a way for the lawyers to not do as much work, imo.

Shamrock: As to your question...I am sure this revelelation I had that nothing we do matters is flawed logic...and I can prove myself wrong with the simple suitcase lock example. We place those cheap-ass locks on our luggage that really are so simple to cut off with a normal pair of wire cutters its funny...and anybody that has one of these keys can open all the locks on others' luggage too...but we put them on our suitcases to keep the honest folk honest. In other words, if there is a lock...people are less likely to try to break in...but those that want to, still will find a way to do it if they are motivated enough. With those people, there is nothing we can do against them to prevent a crime attempt, but we still gotta hope that we're lucky enough to get the guy that figures its not worth the trouble and instead picks somebody else's stuff to take.

Therefore, I will still hate my mother-in-law for endangering my little girl last month when she allowed her to be walked to the play ground across the street and a half-mile away by nobody but her 10 year old cousin. They were alone at that playground in a not-so-safe area for over 20 minutes. While my desire is to never allow my mother-in-law to babysit for us ever again...yet I still allow it. Therefore, if something bad ever happens,,,it'll be my fault as much as her's because I did not do everything I could have done to prevent it.

Am I crazy?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:56 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

can i kill him for you? im sure many people would love to do so for free.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I'm sure if you let me at this sick f'er for 20 mins, I can get the encryption key from him. heh... All I need is a large Battery, and needles. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Is it not the saddest thing in the world that this man, who is 100% potential to commit child violence attacks again could be allowed the humane right to not be forced into giving up his secret encrypting codes? We play nice with murderers and rapists too much and I detest it.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

What wasn't mentioned is if the parents had a chance to fight back or not. Did he come up from behind and kill them or were they confronted. If they were confronted than they had a choice to be the victims or not, were they prepared to kill him. It is kill or be killed, if your mind is not set to kill these people they will kill you. They could have fought instead of doing what he wanted. We don't know this but you can do everything you can to prevent yourself from and your family from being the victim. The article did say he scouted out the house even a yappy little dog is a deterrent to criminals as it can sound the alarm. Very sad story though.

[ 10-17-2006, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Am I crazy?
Nah, you're not crazy Larry [img]smile.gif[/img] Not being a parent yet, I'm sure I can't understand the depth of protective feeling you have towards your daughter, but I think I can imagine it and it seems perfectly normal to me.

Perhaps a parent doesn't always make 100% sense when making decisions about their kids, but ultimately if the heart is in the right place then I tend to think that the right result will come about in the end.

Totally agree about your little lock point. It just makes it that little bit harder to interfere with than the bag next to it...

[ 10-17-2006, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote