Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2001, 05:21 AM   #1
Rikard

Well I *Finally* bought IWD and i was kinda shocked to discover only 2 cd's but that aside this is my new party

Rikard - Human Necromancer - Sling
Mariana - Gnome Illutionist Thief - Long Swords
Mendophir - Dwarven Fighter/Cleric - Hammers
Iason - Human Fighter to be Dualled to Thief - Bow's Long Swords
Aleatha - Elven Mage - Staves / Slings
Jerome - Human Paladin - Giant Swords

now i wanted some other characters then i have had in both BG1 aswell as 2
But Is this party capable of surviving?

------------------

Help me create A Fantasy Realm with your imagination

[This message has been edited by Rikard (edited 05-19-2001).]
Old 05-19-2001, 12:55 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Looks pretty good. A couple of differences between BG2 and IWD.

You won't get exp for memorizing spells or disarming traps so leveling up goes pretty slowly -- especially in the beginning where you are killing goblins for 25-50 exp each.

Expect a long haul with multi-class or dual-classed characters. With that in mind, you might keep the fighter a straight class. You probably won't need two thieves and since it's more hack-n-slash, you might want a bit of a wall in front of your Mages.

Also, you probably want one of the fighters with axes -- not many good longswords in the game, but lots of good axes. You'll also find a bunch of good daggers you'll want your Mages to have. You also might want to give the Gnome crossbow proficiency and give the Paladin a few points in bows.

Also, be prepared that in IWD, spells are at a premium. You won't find 3 Horrid Wiltings (unless you use Dalekeeper).

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

[This message has been edited by Father Bronze (edited 05-19-2001).]
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 01:21 PM   #3
Rikard

Having to kill gobbies for 25XP is always better then to having to kill Kabolts for 7XP

I changed my Party A bit becoz i didn't like it During playing

turned Mariana to a Dwarven Fighter with Axes

I cannot keep Iason a fighter becoz he just is a fighter Thief i think at duall classing at level 4 fighter to thief will have him regain his old class pretty fast

------------------

Old 05-19-2001, 02:10 PM   #4
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

Might I suggest a character change in your party. The Gnome seems a bit out of place. You have an Elvin Mage and a Human Necromancer already; so why not can the weaker illusionist thief for a more powerfull Halfling Fighter/Thief. Therre are a few cool short swords, excellent for backstabbing. In IWD, pretty much any weapon can backstab. But if you install HoW, it's daggers and shortswords. As for dual classing the human fighter into a theif; that's cool but for playability, it's almost best to begin as a thief (though you lose out slightly on hitpoints, you gain in playability- a thief is essential in the beginning; find traps and stealth).
I like the Dwarven fighter/cleric- excellent choice.
The Elvin Mage is also a very good choice. Single classed mage gets the spell level progression just about the time he finds the spells. (in HoW, singleclassed mages can get a very powerfull cloak of str 18/00, i think)
Paladin is a goody two shoes, but if you master the longsword and and pick up axe, you'll be mushing 'em up with the fighter/cleric- no problem.
Human Necromancer? you might possibly dual him into a fighter? fighter mages can be very tough to kill.
Oh, and if you MUST have a gnome; try a cleric or cleric/illusionist. why? The Helm of the Trusted Defender is a gnome/halfling only item that negates fatigue effects. there are a lot of cleric spells and a few mage spells that will fatigue the caster after cast.

hope i didn't spoil anything for ya here, just offering some friendly advice since i've played the original IWD thru about 5 or 6 times now.
It's worth getting HoW for some of the changes to the game engine and minor class changes. The nice thing is that once installed, it asks for HoW disk OR IWD disk 2.. if you catch my drift...

[This message has been edited by Leafy (edited 05-19-2001).]
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 05:50 PM   #5
Rikard

I bought them both becoz i wanted to play with 800x600
I just read the manual and the bard character intregued me even more then it already did
Becoz my Paladin dies a lot and i kinda scewed up my party i think i'm gonna start over

------------------

Old 05-19-2001, 06:11 PM   #6
Rikard

Half-Elven Bard
Elven Mage
Halfling Fighter/Thief
Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
Dwarven Fighter
Human Druid

------------------

Old 05-19-2001, 09:55 PM   #7
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
Half-Elven Bard
Elven Mage
Halfling Fighter/Thief
Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
Dwarven Fighter
Human Druid

Looks like a fun party. No complaints here. Just make sure the proficiencies are diverse.

Give the mage a dagger proficiency and give the cleric a hammer proficiency. You won't regret it.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:18 AM   #8
Rikard

I Always Give Clerics Hammers

------------------

Old 05-20-2001, 09:23 AM   #9
Rikard

Cleric instead of Fighter/Cleric
and Fighter/Druid instead of Druid
are there any good sciminairs in the game?

------------------

Old 05-20-2001, 10:36 AM   #10
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
Cleric instead of Fighter/Cleric
and Fighter/Druid instead of Druid
are there any good sciminairs in the game?

Only one good Scimitar as far as I know.