Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 04:47 AM   #1
knight_of_the_night
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm having some trouble here and I hope that someone can help me out. Ok, here is my problem:

I recently purchased a logitech cordless duo and have used it quite extensively with zero problems until I tried loading up BG2. For some reason it wants to use whatever is in the quick item slot (F9) on the selected character. If there is something in that slot then it will use it automatically. I cannot move the character or access any buttons unless I go into a menu screen. Example, I cheated in 3 stoneskin scrolls and put them into my fighter/mage F9 quick item slot. My character used them at a rate of 1 per round while I could do nothing about it. I cannot access my spell button or special skills button or any other button for that matter without first going into the items menu or character record sheet etc.

If I go into any menu on the left (record sheet, item menu, save menu) the buttons work fine for about 6 seconds before it goes back to trying to use the F9 slot, even if there is nothing in there. I loaded up BG1 and it did the same thing, however it appears that it "worked itself out", and after 4 or 5 minutes it didn't have that problem anymore. BG2, unfortunately, does not do this.

I have a regular corded mouse and keyboard that works without a hitch, but I spent almost $100 on this thing, I would like it to work with my favorite game. I have tried re-installing the game but that didn't work. Is there anyone who can help me with this? Thanks in advance.
knight_of_the_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

From an earlier thread, kudos to theholyavenger.
Quote:
The logitech drivers don't seem to be compatible with the BG series (or most of the games). To solve this problem, you have to "update" your drivers back to the ones Win XP provided for your mouse AND keyboard (that is the drivers you originally have before installing the Logitech drivers). Uninstalling won't work, as Win XP just installs them back the next time you restart your computer.

Here's how you do it:

1. Go to Control Panel, find and click on System-->Hardware-->Device Manager

2. Choose "update driver" for your mouse/keyboard

3. Select "Install froma list or specific location" and click next.

4. Select "Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install" and click next.

5. Select "PS/2 Compatible Mouse" for your mouse, and "Standard 101/102 key" for your keyboard.

Be aware that after you've done this, you'll sacrifice all the amazing features the Logitech keyboard has to offer to users. But you can always reinstall them back after you've finished BGII.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
knight_of_the_night
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey thanks for the reference Dundee, my thanks to you and theholyavenger!
knight_of_the_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Did that actually work?

I would have thought that selecting a ps2 keyboard would have only worked with ps2 devices... and not USB/wireless devices.

Driver update would have been my top tip, or alternately using the software Logitech provide, actually disable the F9 key and live without it.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:58 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
So that's why all my potions of healing kept disappearing. Ok, I guess I can fix that now. Oh yeah, Dace, it seems to me that you've gotten PS/2 mixed up with playstation 2 though I could be wrong. Not that I know what PS/2 actually stands for or represents. I just know its not the same as PS2.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #6
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon