Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 02:29 PM   #1
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I just started a new game Of IWD With the Expansion in there. Put I played one game with IWD with out the expansion(well only as far as ch 5. But on to my point does anyone else find that the level up seems to go alot faster with the expansion in place, is this just me. ONe more thing if I was to set the difficult rating up would you get more exp points for killing the nasties. I would real like to max out my charcters as fast as possible. Any one try the fury mode starting out in the start of a game it says not to do this but like all things in life there needs to be the people out there that will push the limit. Any ways any feed back would be cool.
Mack_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 02:39 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I tried Heart of Fury mode with some on-line friends. The three of us got our buts kicked pretty badly by a bunch of goblins .

Proceed at your own risk.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 04:25 PM   #3
Mack_Attack

That is one of my fears getting my butt kicked by a bunch of goblins. Those little guys are bad enough in large groups. ok thanks later.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:50 PM   #4
Duneswalker
Dungeon Master

Try HOF mode if you like, but at low levels and even higher level you will receive a major ass kicking. A goblin has over 150 hp or so, almost always hits and always does double damage, like 30-40 points a hit. It sadistic. I think I'll wait till my guys are like 15th or better before even having a shot.

PLAY on INSANE,

You don't receive more experience per kill, but there is a lot more to kill, hence more experience. Also insane adds some interesting battles to the game. You will even see some unique monsters that you will not see on any other level.
Duneswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 04:51 PM   #5
Duneswalker
Dungeon Master

Try HOF mode if you like, but at low levels and even higher level you will receive a major ass kicking. A goblin has over 150 hp or so, almost always hits and always does double damage, like 30-40 points a hit. It sadistic. I think I'll wait till my guys are like 15th or better before even having a shot.

PLAY on INSANE,

You don't receive more experience per kill, but there is a lot more to kill, hence more experience. Also insane adds some interesting battles to the game. You will even see some unique monsters that you will not see on any other level.
Duneswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 07:12 PM   #6
Axterix
Manshoon

You can start out on HoF with level 1's. But it takes some strategy. One of the most important things is to not start out with a full party. Starting out with just a single character means that character can make 4 or 5 levels off the quests in town... then add a few more right before the goblin fight. Once you get going, well, HoF xp means your guys level up fast, real fast, and it'll even itself out pretty quickly.
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 11:51 AM   #7
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

HOF mode is not advised for starters. A level 1 fighter (with a sword), you need a natural 20 to hit a freakin' Beetle in the basement of the bar! that's silly.
I believe HOF mode is for those who played thru once and want to try again with their highlevel characters (about level 15 is good to start). I'm doing it now with a 4 player party and the only one who i think will max out before HOW is the bard.
IWD is cool in that it adds a few (FEW) new characters to the original IWD. The HOF mode adds a few more (and there's usually twice as many bad guys per encounter.. but not always).
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 01:15 PM   #8
vesselle
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
But on to my point does anyone else find that the level up seems to go alot faster with the expansion in place, is this just me. ONe more thing if I was to set the difficult rating up would you get more exp points for killing the nasties. I would real like to max out my charcters as fast as possible. Any one try the fury mode starting out in the start of a game it says not to do this but like all things in life there needs to be the people out there that will push the limit. Any ways any feed back would be cool.
here is the description of HoF mode, straight out of the iwd config utility.
"Heart of Fury: This mode makes all monsters incredibly powerful. They take and deal a lot more damage, consequently giving a lot of experience when killed. It is recommended this is only enabled for use with higher level (13+) parties."

why haven't you checked it out for yourself? the worst that can happen is that you die horribly, immediately. but then again, it could be just what you're looking for. you won't really know until you go there and see.

when i stepped on the island with a party of 6 at level 12, i was slaughtered within 30 seconds. it seemed to me that not only were they stronger, with tons more hps, and in greater numbers, but they were smarter too. or at least the aggro range was vastly increased. they kept streaming out of the fog of war!
eeeeeek!

V***V

::mutters under her breath, something about how you'd haveta be insane to go there at level 1::

[This message has been edited by vesselle (edited 06-02-2001).]
vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 05:03 AM   #9
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Actually you can scale the difficulty down, which also gives you more EXP. Duneswalker what sort of unique creatures do you meet in Insane mode?

------------------
Why?
Lifetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 12:20 PM   #10
Mack_Attack

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vesselle:
[B]

why haven't you checked it out for yourself? the worst that can happen is that you die horribly, immediately. but then again, it could be just what you're looking for. you won't really know until you go there and see.

::mutters under her breath, something about how you'd haveta be insane to go there at level 1::

Thanks for the input but I can read the description of the fury mode all by my self. I was simple asking a question on a forum board. Beside How did you know that I have not and went and tried for my self. If you are going to mock me and my play style please do it some where else. I was just asking others if they have tried it and what they thought about it.