Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2001, 11:48 PM   #1
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

I decided in a moment of sheer lunacy to attempt the game taking first rolls at all stages. I also decided to use a mixed race and all female team - so I have ended up with the local branch of Super Wimps Anonymous. Now I have got rather fond of my group of plucky ladies - especially the halfing cleric who sounds just like Terry Pratchetts cheerful fairy

I have been very careful to use tactics, plan everything and take it slowly. I have therefore managed to get to the "monastery" level of the Dragon Eye caves without having to redo any fights more than once or twice.

However I am stumped now, but think it is possibly more a reflection of the way my new medication is slowing up my reflexes than a way of telling me this is impossible.

Are there any other "first rollers" out there? How did you guys fare? Is it possible to do the game wihtout cheating?

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
kiwidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 12:00 AM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Hello Well I am playing the game with no cheats this time. The first time I played I played up to ch 5 with the first rolls but had to cheat I found it a little to much re-loading a bunch of times fighting orcs. So I started a new game and did change the rolls around but did not cheat. I find it a lot easier this time around. Maybe also because I have a rough idea what I will be fighting well at least up to ch 5. Up to ch 5 I found the game needing more tanks then magic. But I am playin this time with the expansion in place maybe it will be different.
Mack_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 12:06 AM   #3
Lrd Feanor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Never do 1st rolls...sorry. I maximize all my characters and use only half-elves for strength and constitution bonus and elvin resistances.
Lrd Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 10:36 AM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I like your experiment kiwidoc.

Personally, I've always found it frustrating to roll characters in the infinity engine games. When playing pencil and paper AD&D, I used to roll character stats as one of the first things. Then I would choose the class after I had determined what my character was capable of doing. In a role-playing sense, I think this makes more sense. I mean, I wouldn't decide that I wanted to be a wizard and then worked to raise my intelligence so that I could succeed in that career. I would choose a career that fits with my personality. If I were strong, I'd be a fighter. If I happened to be wise, I'd study to be a cleric. In a true role-playing sense, I wish I could do like you and take the first natural roles for 6 individuals and then see what classes they were suited to pursue. I suppose I could use Dalekeeper to edit the classes and such, but it would be nice if I could do it without any "external" intervention.

BTW: Welcome. I've read some of your posts elsewhere. It's nice of you to join us.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote