Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2002, 09:30 AM   #1
Khazad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know that this has probably been posted 1000's of times, but I was wondering if any of you more seasoned adventurers might give me some tips on the final battle with Saravok...I pretty much mowed through all of the encounters up until I reached him...So, I guess that I was not completely prepaired for how difficult that battle would be...

I have fought the battle multiple times now...and still seem to be getting no closer to winning...The strategy that I have been trying so far is to spread my archers out all over the temple...Summon lots of monsters...Then nail Saravok and his cronies with a fireballs until they charge me...I have tried a bunch of different variations of this...Seems to be that this should be decent stategy...But it is not working...Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
dustbunny
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Khazad:
I know that this has probably been posted 1000's of times, but I was wondering if any of you more seasoned adventurers might give me some tips on the final battle with Saravok...I pretty much mowed through all of the encounters up until I reached him...So, I guess that I was not completely prepaired for how difficult that battle would be...

I have fought the battle multiple times now...and still seem to be getting no closer to winning...The strategy that I have been trying so far is to spread my archers out all over the temple...Summon lots of monsters...Then nail Saravok and his cronies with a fireballs until they charge me...I have tried a bunch of different variations of this...Seems to be that this should be decent stategy...But it is not working...Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I know exactly what you mean, I have killed Samji, Tazok and Angelo at least 12 times but I am still unable to kill Sarevok. He calls in help thru a door and they entangle me every time. I think I need a way to sneak up and do him in. Hope someone has some ideas.
dustbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 10:18 AM   #3
Kaistrian
Elite Waterdeep Guard

okay i had this team
-me, tank (didnt use him that much in the fight)
-xan
-imoen
-jaheira
-coran
-khalid

basically i used imoen to stealth a bit to get their exact positions. then i moved in xan with some fireball wands. stand so that the enemies are just in the fog of war. the use fireball wand on the edge of the visible area. you'll do some damage to the mages. when i had damaged the mages a bit i let imoen fail stealh hereby luring tazok from the group. my archers killed him before he could land a single hit.
make sure you walk on the left side of the symbol on the floor. less traps there if you ask me. i never really tested.

then when the mages were weak i brought in the team.
killed the first mage maybe the second too before they could land a sinlgle shot (use magic arrows cause they are protected against normal)
i used my tank to distract sarevok while i had xan summon some monsters.
then i withdrew with my tank and let my monsters do the job. by this time the mages were dead so sarevok was under heavy fire while he was killing the beasts. then poof he died [img]smile.gif[/img]

USE HASTE hasted archers are lethal [img]smile.gif[/img]
for protection against some of the traps carry some kind of protection from magic things. all my chars had at least a bit of protection using potions i gathered during the rest of the game.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:09 AM   #4
SherpaDoug
Dungeon Master

Use a thief to explore where the enemy is. One mage will come after you and you just have to beat him/her up.

Then drop fireballs in front of the baddies so they get burned but they don't see you. They only take a few points of damage from each one, but by the time you have used up two or three wands they should be dead.

That just leaves the big guy. Use summoning spells/wands to bury him in yipping wardogs, Gnolls, Xvarts, etc. With his mighty sword he can obliterate one per round. Which means it takes him a zillion rounds to obliterate a zillion of them. By that time your archers should have killed him.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:22 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

It is an easy-ish fight.

Distract the first Mage. Kill him.

Then buffer yourself. Haste, Chant, Bless, Defensive Harmony.

Now lure Sarevok without Tazok and the rest seeing you....it should be easy-ish.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:26 PM   #6
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

I just played this fight today, actually. I had an MP game with:

invoker
thief
xan
quayle
yeslick
shar-teel

I had the thief lure Sarevok and his henchmen out by tossing a oil of burning. He was stuck in the web and killed by Sarevok. That was fine as it gave me enough time to dispell the haste on S. In the meantime, I had Shar-teel kill the mage that Dimension Doors in. When Seravok got over to the rest the group, after killing the trapped thief, the mages shot a few spells at him and then I just had Shar-teel (using oil of speed and one of those giant strength potions) fight him one-on-one and kill him. I was amazed at how fast he went down against Shar. She did lead that party better than any man could!

The characters were all level 6 and 7, I believe.

The easiest way to win the battle, though, is not really very satisfying. Just summon lots of monsters and kill Sarevok with arrows as he fights them. I quit using the summoning spells, pretty much, as they make the game too easy.I never use chant or bless or any of those defensive spells. I suppose they don't hurt, but they just don't seem necessary.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:23 AM   #7
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

Nothing can be easier than the method i used when i 1st beat the game. Have your party situated about an inch below the seal. Make sure the tanks have drinken the following:

your highest potions of giant strength(preferably storm)
potions of heroism
and then the appropriate potions to get your NPC attributes to 18, especially dexterity.

With your main tank(or whoever has the spider's bane equipped[and the boots of speed too!]) go around the seal to the right slowly until you uncover tazok, he will say something and dissapear, quicky go join the rest of your party and wait until he appears in front of you. I think someone casts web but as long as you have the spiders bane equipped it will not hold you. Tazok will appear in front of you and may even get in the 1st hit but have your whole party attack and crush him. When he is dead, cast haste on your party, draw upon holy might on your main character, and with any clerics you have. Then go back around the seal to the right until sarvok sees you. Once you have finished the dialogue with him simply rejoin your party beneath the seal and wait for him to come down. And then basically bum rush him. Should be super easy!
Old 04-04-2002, 09:41 AM   #8
Khazad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all of the tips guys...I fought it again last night and was able to beat it without losing any characters...

I think that maybe I was just gripping a little because it was "the battle"...Once I calmed down and thought about what I was doing, and was a bit more cautious, it was easy.

...Well, onto Baldur's Gate II!