Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2001, 07:46 AM   #1
norompanlasolas

When I finished BG2 I almost couldnt believe it. Thats it??? was my first thought. I think the storyline (while not bad) is much worse than the one in Baldurs Gate 1. I remember the first being one of the best stories in a crpg I ever read, almost like a book, the story unfolding in layers of complexity very well organised (there was always someone who was pulling the strings from the last guy you thought was doing that).

Also, I think the quests in the original are larger, and the locations in the map are more. I seem to remember that there were a lot of guilds, powers to be and covenants while in BG2 you only have the Shadow Thieves, and some harpist action (not too much though).

Despite all that, I loved the game simply because it is Baldurs Gate. Also the gameplay is better and the highlevel thingie is awesome. Thats why I recently bought the expansion to keep playing.

But I cant help but feel the game was a tad short of what I expected. Or maybe I was expecting too much. What do you think???
Old 11-14-2001, 08:05 AM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Erm, no offense, but you're comparing BG with expansion with BG2 without the expansion.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:12 AM   #3
norompanlasolas

Nope... I guess I just wrote the name the wrong way. I was comparing BG1 and BG2 without the expansions. My mistake. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2001, 09:30 AM   #4
Lord Denark
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I also have to say that I felt a little shortchanged after I finished BG2, and thought that BG1 was better story and quest wise, but it feels to me as though BG1 was all about finding out who you where. In BG2 it feels like I know who I am, what am I going to do...I got the expansion at the same time (havent finished it yet, im only new ) so I'm playing through it with hopes of bringing my character to godlike status. I don't know if i explained myself well, but i think you'll be able to pick up on what i'm saying. thats my opinion anyway.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2001, 12:41 PM   #5
norompanlasolas

Hmmm... I know what you mean. Thats probably it I guess, that in BG1 you were kind of amazed when you found out you were the son of a god (and even more after seeing all your brothers in the ending animation!).

BG2 is kind of boring in that sense, since it doesnt reveal anything quite as shocking as that. Thats probably why first parts are always best!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2001, 12:47 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I found BG2 more replayable though. It differed a lot depending on your character.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-14-2001, 04:16 PM   #7
Seid
Manshoon

Get ToB. It has a really great story and a lot of action [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2001, 04:42 PM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

Get IWD. It has a lousy storyline but some of the best in-game music I ever heard [img]smile.gif[/img] Plus a lot of action...

BG2 has the weaker storyline and the more restricted areas (no wilderness travel) but is better in almost every other way. The quests in BG1 are either small or part of the storyline, in which case they were extensive. BG2 has the larger quests which makes the main quest stand out less. An advantage/disadvantage of BG2 is that it has class-related quests. I think this is as much of a blessing as a curse, as the fixed storyline just doesn't invite you to play it through twenty times. Same with the BG1 storyline, but the 'limited' number of classes and the lack of difference they make don't make it as much of a problem.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 11-14-2001, 05:28 PM   #9
Sorcerer Alex

I also preferred the BG I storyline, it was more interesting and quite complicated. But I agree with Yorick when he said the sequel is more replayable - that game is so different depending on your class - you could play it over and over and not get bored [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2001, 05:54 PM   #10
Istaron
Banned User

I see what you mean. BG1 is better than #2 and ToB together.

And the music rocks too!