Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2001, 01:56 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

It's interesting that many give greater credence to "serious" art, "serious" discussion and provokation of thoughts along melancholic lines.

Now, yes I understand the depths and soul searching that such conversing and thinking can elicit, but fun, humour and "small talk" or distractional escapism are just as valid in the human experience and in human art.

Making someone cry and making someone laugh are both affecting the mood of an individual and are both as powerful as each other. They give reasons to living and give living a reason.

Hence, it's a beautiful thing that the gencon forum has 'lightened up' for a while. I see it as a necessary swing to restore balance to the ship.

------------------
Old 10-29-2001, 01:58 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I couldn't agree more, Yorick! A period of rest and healing is needed after the occurrences of the past couple of weeks.

That is to say, I certainly do not wish to see an absolute void of serious discussion...either here or at the war forum. I acknowledge the current trend as a resettling of the forum in the aftermath and that things are turning back to normal (finally).

Cheers,

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Old 10-29-2001, 03:32 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
As always,Very good words Yorrick.

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester and Spam Monitor of Laughing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.
A guitar solo is to a guitarsist is what a palette is too a painter.
"...But I look at my self as a fragile, inteligent,human being. But there is a clown inside that comes and messes it up everytime" -Jim Morrison

GO DEVILS!!!!
Old 10-29-2001, 03:48 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick! I always love it when you post this point!

Definitely the so-called 'serious discussions' are good and are needed, but I find that people often forget that simple chat and laughter are very important in our lives. I guess it's not 'serious' so they may assume it's less important?

To laugh, to share joy, well those are two of the most precious things imaginable to me. When the heart sings, there's harmony for the soul.

HI SAZ! Too true! We needed a bit of insane silliness! I always advocate for silliness..

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-29-2001, 04:49 PM   #5
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Now, yes I understand the depths and soul searching that such conversing and thinking can elicit, but fun, humour and "small talk" or distractional escapism are just as valid in the human experience and in human art.

I agree Yorick!

------------------
Old 10-29-2001, 04:55 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
We needed a bit of insane silliness!
I'm the king of insane silliness If you don't believe it, just ask my ex-wife! No wait...sorry....she just thinks I'm insane, maybe you shouldn't talk to her.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Old 10-29-2001, 05:09 PM   #7
Moni

Saturday evening as I was saying good bye to my son until who knows when, I began to cry.
You know what he did?
He stuck his finger in my ear!
I couldn't help but laugh.
You are absolutely right (as usual) Yorick!

------------------

The best thing about karma is that you create your own.

Pets Need Love Too

Old 10-30-2001, 12:39 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

------------------
Old 10-30-2001, 01:43 AM   #9
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
It's interesting that many give greater credence to "serious" art, "serious" discussion and provokation of thoughts along melancholic lines.

Making someone cry and making someone laugh are both affecting the mood of an individual and are both as powerful as each other. They give reasons to living and give living a reason.

Hence, it's a beautiful thing that the gencon forum has 'lightened up' for a while. I see it as a necessary swing to restore balance to the ship.

I've always been a fan of sadness, or maybe it's been a fan of me. Either way, I'm trying to learn to lighten up. Not that I don't laugh! I have a great sense of humor around those that I know and trust. It's just when I'm with myself... alone. Melancholy is a savage creature, very unforgiving. If you walk with it once, it forever seeks you out as a confidant,

OK, I'm just rambling now. Nevermind, I've lost track of what I was saying.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

"I've had it up to here, listening to a small segment of people try to put down America! America's the greatest land on Earth, and we oughta be proud of what we have! I'm proud of America, I'm proud of our people, and I'm gonna prove it. We're American and DAMN proud of it! Frankly I'm getting a little ticked off...go ta ****"... Dink (if anyone knows who originally said this, please let me know!)
Old 10-30-2001, 02:04 AM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
I've always been a fan of sadness, or maybe it's been a fan of me. Either way, I'm trying to learn to lighten up. Not that I don't laugh! I have a great sense of humor around those that I know and trust. It's just when I'm with myself... alone. Melancholy is a savage creature, very unforgiving. If you walk with it once, it forever seeks you out as a confidant,

OK, I'm just rambling now. Nevermind, I've lost track of what I was saying.

Great points Liliara. In my opinion only by knowing true sadness can one truly know happiness. Much of my own work and material I relate to is of a melancholic nature. As far as melancholia being greater alone, I whole heartedly agree.

However, creators/appreciators of happy material don't disregard melancholic work as "insubstancial" or "irrelevant."

It is the reverse thinking which I'm addressing.

I'm all for balance myself. There is a time to soul search and a time to simply lie back and enjoy. IMO neither is more or less important than the other, indeed both are needed.

That's all. Certainly no rambling from you Liliara.

------------------