Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2001, 09:56 PM   #1
Trixie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Magnificent sunsets, a full moon every night, gentle rain
Realistic ship sounds: creaking and water sloshing
Design of Shurugeon Castle--reminds me of Europe
NPC dialogue, fitting to the character
A Stout Mine trolley ride like Disneyland
The rush from conquering the Naga, Elyssia, and the Mantraps
This forum

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:04 PM   #2
WizardMen
The Magister

Whats not to love about this game?: )
My favorite is how big the Gael Serran is and all of it is you me to explore. + the more Pretty thing that you mentioned

()xxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
WizardMen

Gota Love Him
WizardMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

What a lovely post, Trixie! I agree with you on all points, and I cannot understand why the game caught so much flack on "dated graphics" when the graphics, as far as I can tell, are spectacular. There are some anomalies, but they are more funny than anything else.

One of the things I thought was hilarious was the fact that the opponents would "mouth off" at you. When I first started playing the game in October, when I ran into my first group of Highland Rogues, I was laughing so hard at having a computerized jerk giving me lip that I didn't have time to notice that I wasn't "outnumbered!" I've been used to games like Might & Magic, Wizardry, Daggerfall, and others like it in which the opponents are silent...stand there and attack you without saying a word, like an automaton.

I personally hated Shurugeon Castle, although I liked the design...those puke green walls drove me NUTS. It was like a European Castle, though, with a barbican, chapel, bailey, barracks, great hall...yep, it had everything.

I for one loved the Stout Mines; again, I don't know why they get so much flack. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who got a kick out of the "thrill ride" aspect of it!

The game has so many good points, that the minor bad points are mere trifles, in my book. I guess you have to really get into it to appreciate it.

Thanks for a great post and a wonderful positive viewpoint!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:13 PM   #4
Mr-Eiz
Drow Warrior

Mantraps Wait intill you get a boat ! not sure what thay are,
but man the mantraps are harder but what expoints

................ .............

------------------

Hi Ho Hi Ho
It's of to play we go

T H A N K S
Eiz
Mr-Eiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:31 PM   #5
BLKCat
The Magister

I agree completely! Lots to love in this game. I for one, love my horse! I can't do without him/her now! And truthfully, I don't remember ever playing a CRPG, (or any other genre), where all the sounds are so realistic. I normally don't turn the sound up in computer games anymore, but with this one, I can't wait to hear what comes next. Even the sounds the 'bad guys' (or girls as the case may be!) make are incredible! AND 'dungeons' that don't all look alike, and have distinct personalities in and of themselves! What a nice change! I am enjoying myself completely!

BLKCat Happy In Gael Serran

------------------
...Events are cowards: they don't occur singly, but instead they run in packs and leap out at you all at once.
(Excerpt from "Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman)
BLKCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 11:23 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

POSSIBLY SPOILY (so I'll leave some space)

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

When I was first playing the game, I was doing the Serpent Temple late at night. I walked into the Arena...all the lights were down in my room except for the monitor, and I had the sound cranked on it...Elyssia walks up and bellows:

MURDERERS!

I about jumped out of my skin. Literally shaking all over. It's been many a year since a computer game affected me that way. Even now though I've played through it many a time, it still gives me a shiver!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 06:44 AM   #7
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

I'm very impressed with the voice-acting. It's just so good! The narrator is like a dungeon master who sets the mood and greatly adds to the atmosphere.
The NPC's I've encountered so far are also very very good. Don't know if it is the correct word for it but the voices are "in character".

***Possible Spoilers ahead***

Like the voice of Kerah (the statue that is) sounds Holy, like you'd expect from an Angel.
The ghost of Grumpy sounds like a ticked off ghost who wants to keep the crypt for himself.
Scabban first scared me a little bit but then actually fascinated me. In a morbid kind of way And that is, in all essence, his character. A person with morbid interests. So his personallity came across like it was supposed to. Well, at least I think so
The ghost of Nivius forces you to respect him. The things he says and the way he says them is impressive to say the least.
Every other rpg game should look at W&W on how to properly cast voice-actors.

Oh, and those stouts made me laugh!
Billbump and his brother Rethpian, hehe. What a pair of Lunatics
Specially Rethpian inside the crypt who really likes RATS and RATPIE! You haven't seen any RATS have you? ROTFLOL

Ah yes, now that I can play it on my own computer I get more and more involved in the game. It still has its weird logic sometimes (like trying to load a different savegame when you're already busy with one.) but if it keeps performing the way it has done so far I'm willing to take those quirks along for the ride.
On a final note: DAMN that crypt was much much bigger then I thought it would be! And that's a positive point mind you
Looking at the map, I will be travelling the Gael Serran for many many weeks, if not months, to come.
I am really starting to like this game

Snoekie
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 09:39 AM   #8
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

I love the Butterflies (my Dad always called them "Flutter By")
and I love the night skies as well as the sunrise and sets!
Plus all the things everone eles mentioned too.

Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 09:55 AM   #9
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I love W&W too, I can't really find anything to mention that you guys haven't

Hey Eiz, is that a Remorhaz in your sig?
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 11:05 PM   #10
Ladybug
Dungeon Master

I love the dragon! He has a wonderful name ERATHSMEDOR!
I loved it when I saw him sitting on that big old pile of treasure.
I especially loved the sight of him flying thru the sky of the Shire breathing fire on everyone below!
And I even loved him reading this bedtime story to his two little dragonettes.
Certainly a fitting tale for a dragon to tell!

Ladybug

[This message has been edited by Ladybug (edited 05-27-2001).]
Ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote