Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2001, 05:48 PM   #1
Ladymonke
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Playing a monk: It takes a very long time to get tough. I didn't feel as if I had caught up with fighter types until level 15. But boy oh boy, when you do get to that level and beyond, monks are to my mind the best fighters (plus some other nifty abilities) in the game. At the end, my Lev 20 monk was was doing more damage than Valygar dual-wielding Crom Faeyr and Celestial Fury. Was it worth all that wait? I guess so.

Most annoying battle: Kangaxx.

Best NPC: I surprised even myself. I loved the NPC's. For me it was the highlight of the game as I went through every one save for Haer D'alis. At the end, I have to say it was Edwin/Edwina. He started off as such an obnoxious and arrogant cad, but the chance to Edwina (the better half, *grin*) with the Nether Scroll made for some hilarious moments throughout the rest of the game.

Best Battle: Fighting furiously against the horde of Beholders in the Underdark. Spells and effects flying everywhere!

to be continued....
Old 03-26-2001, 06:23 PM   #2
Epona
Zartan

Brilliant! Glad you enjoyed it. I haven't played a monk all the way through, but I intend to at some point (when I manage to clone myself several times to fit in all the other things I want to do, that is!).

I agree with you about NPCs - I love the interaction with them, so much better than BGI.

Will you be playing through again with a different class, or trying out something new? I would recommend Icewind Dale if you haven't played it already, but there are no NPCs - you make your whole party. It's a bit linear as well, but if you liked the beholder fights in the underdark it might be right up your street - it's very much a dungeon hack & slash!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.
Old 03-26-2001, 06:48 PM   #3
Lord Shield

I gave up on the monk as he kept getting thwocked. Glad somebody made use of him, however

Old 03-26-2001, 06:54 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Will the monk gain additional abilities in throne of Bhaal?
Well, at least his Magic resistance will get massive!
Old 03-26-2001, 07:09 PM   #5
Charlie
Lord Ao

Pleased you enjoyed the game

PS. What's a Nether scroll? I've got Edwin on my firm at the minute.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:10 PM   #6
Ladymonke
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For a long time, my monk was thwocked around too, but by level 16 she had a -6, -7 AC and eventually ended up with a -9 and I got thwacked a lot less. Plus, I was attacking so often doing so much damage and stunning my opponents that I could take down Adamantite Golems, Elder Orbs and Pit Fiends more or less by myself at the end of the game.

I would certainly hope the monk would get more abilities....more attacks, etc. etc. in Throne of Bhaal. But then again, beats me

Old 03-26-2001, 07:12 PM   #7
Ladymonke
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nether Scroll is a quest that Edwin should tell you about. He wants it, he'll tell to where to get it.
Old 03-26-2001, 07:13 PM   #8
Lord Shield

He only tells you about it when you enter the Graveyard District. This sub-quest is fun!

Old 03-26-2001, 07:20 PM   #9
Charlie
Lord Ao

Thanks. That's two new quests to do this time around.

------------------
One love, peace.